“Wedding Disaster”
Review of Malibu Country Inn

Malibu Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Malibu B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 20, 2008

I had my wedding and reception there. THAT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE I HAVE EVER MADE. The waiters were awful, I did not get the champagne toast (which I paid for). The men's bathroom toilet was backed up!! the manager/owner was rude to my guest. She pushed my guest out by 10. DO NOT HAVE A WEDDING THERE!! You will regret it.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank pennylane1977

Reviewed April 19, 2008

From the outside, this place looks kind of charming. Don't let the exterior fool you.

My room smelled like mildew and the whole place seemed dirty, dated, and not well maintained. When I went to the front desk to let them know my room was unacceptable (it looked nothing like the rooms on the web site) and I would be staying elsewhere, the owner said she wanted to look at the room with me, then she proceeded to go into a back room and would not come out. She instructed the person at the front desk to charge me for my entire stay (3 nights) and would not speak to me. Unbelievable! The worst customer service I have ever received at a hotel.

FYI, apparently they do have a few renovated rooms, which they feature on their web site, but the rest are as I have described above. There were four people in my party, all staying in equally bad rooms.

Stayed: April 2008
1  Thank ebeck
Reviewed November 8, 2007

We booked our "Patio Room" based on their website. At $230 + taxes a night we were not expecting a resort, but were shocked to find ourselves spending 2 nights in a run-down, shabby motel. The property site is lovely, the staff very nice and helpful, but oh the rooms! The small room was dark, with faded, peeling wallpaper, paper thin walls through which we could hear the young lady next door having a tearful melt-down over "this filthy dump," and dozens of dead bugs visible in the plastic ceiling fixture in the bathroom.
On the positive side, the Hideaway Cafe is very good.
The website completely misrepresents the motel.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank Teddytia
Reviewed July 7, 2007

The Malibu Country Inn has done a fabulous job with their website; how misleading and disceptive. First of all, it is NOT a Bed & Breakfast as advertised; we did receive a coupon for a free muffin and coffee at the local cafe -- good for ONE person. We stayed in room 19 and this was our experience: the toilet was literally unattached from the floor and unsafely wiggled when we had to use it; the wood headboard was unattached from the bed frame, so every time we slighty moved on the bed the headboard banged the wall --- much to our neighbor's dismay; the room heater had a very unpleasant burning order; one entire wall was nothing but tacky mirrors; the window frames were full of rust and our room did not come with a hair dryer as i requested when i booked my reservation. The worst and most inconvient part was was when we tried to check out in the morning -- there was no one there to help us until a clerk came on shift at 8:00am; we were ready to check out at 7:40 due to an appointment. When i complained to the clerk at check out about the horrendous condition of our room and especially the unsafe conditions of the toilet, she simply & insincerely apologized and offered no other forms of satiafaction.... My husband and I feel very deceived at the advertsement for this Inn and believe that the $205.00 that we spent on our 1 night at this place was a complete rip-off.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Bellarose1964
Reviewed April 8, 2007

The owner of this hotel shoud be embarrassed. Clearly there is no "pride of ownership" here. It strikes me that the current owner is very short-term focused since there is little chance anyone will have much good to say about this motel and little chance that any guest would want to stay here again. The only chance this owner has is to continue catering to people willing to spend about $250 per night on an old, dirty, run down, moldy shack of a motel with poor customer service, antiquated systems, noisy disgusting jacuzzis, a freezing cold "heated" pool, cramped parking, shoddy construction, broken light fixutres, sqeaky closet doors, pee-stained bathrooms, unworkable windows, and odd-shaped waste of space rooms. What a joke that we actually brought our bathing suits specifically for this pool. The website is completely misleading. When we arrived it took half an hour to check us in even though we had the confirmation number provided directly by the hotel. We were then double charged for our stay. This took well over a month, several phone calls, several attempted faxes (but their fax was not working), a report to the Better Business Bureau, a great deal of stress and frustration, several broken promises, and as of this writing, yet unresolved. Truly a sad way to run a business.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10  Thank Seasoned_traveler_RT
Reviewed March 14, 2007

We stayed here in March 2007 with 3 kids. The only room available for us was a king bed and 2 cots, so it was a little tight. Drawer room was great, the closet was very nice. The bathroom was super, kind of silly but I liked the new Kohler tub and toilet! The sink was older and small, and only a small shelf to store toiletries, but the size of the bathroom made up for that. It was a huge bathroom!

The walk to the beach was very do-able with youngsters, I took a cup of coffee from the room and it was a very pleasant walk. We loved Zuma Beach.

The continental breakfast is one muffin or toast, with coffee and juice. So plan for a big lunch, you'll be hungry. The view from the restaurant was very nice, and service was friendly.

The only negative thing was the 15 minute drive to Malibu Country Mart where we ate most of our meals. It would have been nice to stay closer to town.

Be sure to drive down the street and up the mountain, find the lookout point up on top and climb the trails. It is a beautiful view!

We will probably not stay here again just due to location, but if you are looking for a very quiet place with nice facilities this will work. Enjoy Malibu!

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank loverealitytv
Reviewed February 13, 2007

I stayed at the Inn for eleven days and ten nights. I spent a lot of time walking on Zuma Beach and the neighborhood above it--mostly a gated community but a pleasant walk. I brought knitting, reading materials, and as there is only so much beach walking, reading, and knitting in one day, I also spent a lot of time at the Hideaway Cafe. I loved the staff there and the food is very good. I stayed in both types of rooms. The decks of the single rooms in a row that the previous writer wrote of are a wonderful place to sit, but in October of 2005, when I stayed there, in need of paint or shelack. Some of the rooms appeared to be recently redone, and some were in need of a pick me up---however it was overall a wonderful place to be and I loved it--and would return there. I had gone to California to attend two galas but in between sought rest and relaxation. I found it. The summer sunbathers had long been gone from the beach in October so it could be enjoyed as almost my own for awhile. I earfuls of celebrity gossip, including about my own favorite actor, from people I met on my daily walks. Only once did I meet a snob who ended the conversation as soon as she discovered I was not "Malibu" but only visiting. However her dog was very friendly. LOL The room I had above the lobby/reception was lovely with a fireplace, kitchenette area and whirlpool bath--the deck was shared with only one other suite. I would recommend the Inn as a quiet, romantic if you wish to be, enjoyable get a way----in eleven days I did not feel that the traffic from PCH in any way disturbed me--I didn't think of it at all. Recommended lodging

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled solo
4  Thank Mizpoet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Santa Monica
Shore Hotel
Shore Hotel
#2 of 36 in Santa Monica

Been to Malibu Country Inn? Share your experiences!