“The best view and location but average accommodation.”
Review of Malibu Country Inn

Malibu Country Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Malibu B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Firstly, the location and view of this place on Zuma beach is amazing which made for a wonderful 2 nights in Malibu. We stayed in a sea view suite which was large, spacious with a fantastic terrace overlooking the sea. A perfect place to enjoy sundowners. The room was a little tired, but as we were not in the room too often, this did not matter. The bed was huge and clean and the bathroom had a powerful shower. I would recommend this place if you are not looking for 5* service and do not mind a slightly older style decor. The staff are pleasant. One other issue is that you could smell the sewer from time to time, I did mention this to the receptionist and she said it was a problem and that the system is being replaced in November. It was not a big deal, but worth a mention.

Room Tip: Just ask. Our room was quoted at $195 per night and we got it for $150 per night.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kerry0072

Reviewed July 9, 2011

The close proximity to the beach and laid back set up here is amazing.
However; Ivy & the entire staff of this place really catered to me and made my short R&R a true vacation. Trainer LIZ

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank lets96
Reviewed July 6, 2011

while this "inn" looks ok on approach, and the admin block is modern, the room accomodation is dated and grubby. only plus point was a clean and comfortable bed. might have been ok when it was first built but it is long due a makeover, like something out of a 50's film. the overpowering smell of the septic tank certainly didn' t help either. overall poor value for money but it was late and we had to stop somewhere. plan your journey to allow time to bypass it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank bigcheuk
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Run down, old couches dumped, tile boxes, excess cable wire all outside our room. Needed renovation 20 years ago. Spa was cold and after a call to the office it finally warmed up the next morning at 8AM! Missed the moonlit night. It was filthy in the spa with debris in the pool and a cover that was too old 10 years ago. Short on towels even for one night stay. Beat up place. Reserved it one month in advance so this is the best they have? The place is a "as-been." They said they would not charge for the spa but they did not discount it properly upon review of the receipt. Too hard to make a scene at the check out counter. Avoid this place unless you like one click up from trailers!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 506Merced
Reviewed March 15, 2011

Being in the hospitality industry, I lowered my expectations prior to arrival based on the negative conversation I had with a front office clerk when I made the reservation. Upon arrival, the lack of service continued with the clerk on duty, who had one guest come in and yell at her while I was checking in. I should've ran then but it was late. So we walked into our disappointing, small, poorly decorated/lit, cheap looking, loud, noisey room. I was further disappointed we paid $120/night for what should be a $49/night room rate on a desolate highway, not situated in Malibu. The heat didn't work, television was smaller than my computer monitor circa 1985 with minimal stations and internet that didn't work, the blinds were not black out curtains so we were wide awake with the sunrise, the lack of insulation created loud noise with the neighbors, and the uncomfortable old bedding, bed and old pillows made for a poor night's sleep. The furniture is old as is the bathroom with Motel 6 like towels, and so on. Most rooms have no views expect of the parking lot and they are small rooms 100 to 150 sq ft easily. Worst experience in a hotel, motel in 7 years.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Sevilla2013
Reviewed February 20, 2011

An artist I had to visit booked this place for me and my
Son.
When opening the hotel room, got a chock! Filthy, smelling, an emty fridge making noice etc etc
Went back to the reception to ask for the money back
And leave. No chance! Had to pay full rate usd 130, but
Was happy to get away from this nightmare!
Found a very nice room at malibu Beach In, that saved my stay in Malibu.

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Lasse1
Reviewed February 4, 2011

This hotel should be known as the cesspool of Malibu. The person who wrote their website must have majored in creative writing. Sorry I didn't check Trip Advisor first. We had three rooms and all of us wanted to leave. However, their 72 hour cancellation policy prevented that. The room was dirty, had used towels and the closet door fell off. They even forgot to clean my room one day. Management didn't seem to care about any complaints. This hotel should be closed down

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Arthur60950
Also consider these accommodations in or near Malibu
Malibu
Malibu Beach Inn
Malibu Beach Inn
#1 of 6 in Malibu
Good Nite Inn - Calabasas
#3 of 3 in Calabasas

Been to Malibu Country Inn? Share your experiences!