I was here in Sept 2012 as Trip Advisor advised me, but since I just spent 4 days over the memorial day weekend there, I thought it deserved another look.
Everything I wrote previously still applies.The Inn is still magical and the rooms divine as long as you do not mind not having a bath tub. We had a corner king again, but truthfully, unless you feel you need the side breeze as well as the front breeze, there is no reason to get it. It costs more and the room is the same size as the Queen oceanfronts. They just crammed a kingsize bed into this corner,and one side of the bed does not even have an end table. The room is very lovely though as are the amenities.
We ate dinner, both in the restaurant and in our room while we were there, and also had a brunch. Everything was delicious. See my review of the Malibu Beach Club Restaurant for details. I was especially pleased with the room service. It only took 20 minutes each time we ordered. Very fast !! And the order was always correct!!
The one jarring note this time for me was the reception staff. They all seems harried and unfriendly. Since there are only 43 rooms, I did not understand it. It is mostly staffed by women and none of them were warm and welcoming. This should be a must for an inn that charges the prices this place does. Of course, Memorial Day was even more expensive than normal. The phone was not answered using my name or how can I help you, just their name. Not good. I made certain requests as I was entertaining guests and there was no smile, no eagerness to please. Everything was met with a grudging robotic acceptance, no more.
I had requested a 3rd floor king corner and was given a 2nd floor one -there are only two - with the explanation that the people in the 3rd floor room had been there and were not leaving. There was no, "I am so sorry about this. Let me give you a lovely cheese platter or whatever...."Since I made my reservation in January, I thought it odd they would give the 3rd floor room to someone at the time I was going to be there. Those people could have been told they would have to move on the date of my arrival, or been given the 2nd floor originally. As a repeat guest it would have been nice to be treated with more consideration and certainly with more concern for my happiness and comfort. It would have taken very little to be kind and sorry. But it was not to be.
I know that everyone has a bad day, but for 4 days and 4 different women??? Geez. Snooty is the word I would use. And it wasn't just me. I watched while another woman approached the front desk about some surprise she wanted to leave in a room and she was met with the same stone faces that I was. Is this a requirement for working there? It was so strange.
I stay in 5 star hotels all over the world and have never been met with this kind of uncaring and
disinterest. All the other staff, be it maids, valets, waiters, greeters were very warm and fun. It was just the front desk women who looked and acted like they did not want to be there, and that they were doing you a favor to even listen to you.
Do not let this detract you from staying there as it is magical property. The only hotel on the water in Malibu and much of the coast. My other favorite is The Surf and Sand in Laguna where they are super friendly and can"t do enough for me when I am there. Makes one want to go back. Ya know!
Just note this one oddity, and perhaps it will have all been changed by the time you get there!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Magnificently nestled right on the sands of famed "Billionaire’s Beach," Malibu Beach Inn is a spectacular ocean-front getaway within minutes of LA. Since its inception in 1989, Malibu Beach Inn has become a beloved destination for both leisure and business travelers. After a complete, contemporary multi-million-dollar renovation, Malibu Beach Inn re-opened its doors as the only luxury oceanfront hotel destination between Santa Monica and Santa Barbara, offering guests unsurpassed levels of luxury and service on the sands of exclusive Carbon Beach. The Malibu Beach Inn is approximately 22 miles from Los Angeles International Airport. The hotel embraces the serene beauty of the Malibu coastline through its landscaping, architecture and interior design. It also embodies the spirit of one of Southern California's most exclusive communities through the warm hospitality of its multilingual, European-trained staff, its signature beach club, and a unique collection of artwork by contemporary painter Glenn Ness. The Carbon Beach Club features California coastal cuisine with Pacific Rim accents that is complemented by an outstanding and extensive list of hand-selected small-production wines from California's premier wine regions. The dining room offers both indoor and outdoor dining, both of which boast breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and the sound of the tumbling surf below.Guest rooms feature private balconies, minibars, coffeemakers, hairdryers, bathrobes, DVD players, safes, complimentary high-speed Internet access, fireplaces (most rooms), and private hot tubs (some rooms). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Malibu Beach Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malibu Beach Hotel Malibu
- Beach Inn Malibu
- Malibu Beach Bed Breakfast