“Comfortable, large rooms--a good value for the price.”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Madera
Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed 3 nights at the Madera Valley Inn and were very satisfied.

The rooms were very large compared to other hotels. The shower had excellent water pressure. The WI FI was free in-room and was very fast. We appreciated the in-room fridge and microwave. There were very few people staying at the hotel while we were there, so it was very quiet.

I agree with the other reviewers that there are aspects to this hotel that are dated. However, we didn't experience any issues with cleanliness--our room was fine. For the price, this hotel was an excellent value.

The complimentary breakfast was minimal. A small selection of cereals and rolls, coffee, juice. My husband noted that he felt like a second-class citizen during the breakfast. The restaurant herds you into a "special" section and you eat behind a partition. One morning we ate in a conference room. The hotel could improve this aspect--not sure why the segregation from the "normal" restaurant customers. Felt a bit odd.

The surrounding neighborhood was just "o.k.". We stayed at this hotel while we visited Yosemite and Sequoia & Kings Canyon Parks. I don't know anything about Madera, but I did see bars on some of the convenience store windows and some graffiti. I don't know if this is common in this area. I did feel safe while at the hotel, but was a little dissappointed in the surrounding area.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed February 2, 2009

Recently while checking seat guru for my next regular business flight I stumbled upon the trip adviser website. Curious, I checked the reviews for my favorite hotel, the Madera Valley Inn. While reading the reviews I noticed that there was one that was particularly unfavorable. The person who wrote it has written negative reviews on nearly all of the hotels that she has stayed at. As a regular guest of this hotel for the past four years I felt compelled to write my review of The Madera Valley Inn:

The hotel has a complimentary breakfast bar that includes coffee, tea, juices, bagels, cereal and fresh fruit. A free morning paper is always at the front desk. Compared to the other two 'major' hotels in the area this is by far the best. The hotel has updated decor and comfortable furnishings with a color scheme that is pleasant and easy on the eye. The guestrooms are very large. The mattress is comfortable and linens are excellent. The bath has a clean tub and shower, good hot and cold water pressure in the shower and sink and large, plush towels (10 total).

Guestrooms also have a mini refrigerator and microwave and in-room coffee and tea.
Guests are not bothered by any outside noise, and have a very good night's sleep.
The outside pool area has a BBQ area and sun loungers.

There is a fantastic restaurant on the premises. It boasts a very good chef (Gabriela) who takes pride in her cooking and the menu is very reasonably priced. I would not mind dining in that place a couple of times a week. The restaurant is very busy with local people, especially on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There is a courteous front desk clerk and fast check-in;
The housekeeping staff is consistently courteous, accommodating, friendly and professional.

Location is very convenient for the 99 freeway and has easy access for the city (city, county Building). Building is well lit in front at night; coffee shop and lounge are on site, and upper floors are very quiet.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank maxlifeSoCal
Reviewed February 2, 2009

I sure enjoyed my stay at the Madera Valley Inn. Last month, I was in Madera, California on a business trip and when I checked in, I was greeted by a friendly and helpful front desk person.
I was told about the free continental breakfast that is available for hotel guests. And, that evening, I enjoyed a delicious dinner at their on-site restaurant.
I found the rooms to be clean, comfortable and well-maintained.
I had a good night's sleep, and was pleasantly surprised when I checked out and the General Manager asked me how my stay was. I enjoyed the positive experience, and will definitely stay at the Madera Valley Inn, next time I am in town!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I typically reserve my reviews for after I finished staying somewhere since you never know if bad impressions are misconceptions.

This, however, is an exeption. I am writing this review from a table (the supposed "desk") in my second room here at the good ol' Madera Valley Inn. Why the second room, you ask? The first nonsmoking room gave me a headache from the blatent and disgusting cigarette smell. On top of that, I had to kill a roach crawling across the floor.

In my many, many travels around the world, this is probably THE worst, most disgusting place I've ever stayed in. The carpets are so nasty I won't walk barefoot (I'm wearing flip-flops). I'm also debating whether I want to sleep with no covers tonight since the blanket (not the comfortor, which was the first to go) is completely disgusting. It looks like it's at least 40 years old and has burn marks from cigarettes and a nasty, nasty stain at the bottem. I don't even want to venture a guess as to what it is.

Whatever you do, DO NOT stay here! I'm kicking myself for not doing further research or even staying in Fresno and commuting in the morning.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Amyj1276
Reviewed July 29, 2007

Positive: Building well lit in front at night; courteous front desk clerk and fast check-in; clean bathroom and shower/tub; had a frig and microwave in room; large room; coffee shop on site; upper floors very quiet. Bad Features: very old building, needs repairs and renovations inside and out; everything looks old; carpets are outdated and look decades old, very stained and dirty; walls need repainted; wallpaper and decor looks decades old; old furniture; elevator very old; furnishings in room very old, even the alarm clock; drapes and shears very old with holes from moths, and couldn't get the drapes to draw back all the way as it needs fixed on the rod; bedding very old and sheets had cigarette burn holes; needs repairs to roof; first floor noisy at night due to patrons socializing and being a little rowdy in the adjoining coffee shop; ice machine/vending machine located outside the hallway in the stairwell in a dark corner out of sight, which made me feel unsafe getting ice especially at night. People were loitering around on stairwell on another level late at night arguing over personal matters and made me feel uncomfortable; upon entering lobby was overwhelmed by a strong, sickening, stale powdery/perfumy smell. The entire building and room absolutely reeked with this horrible odor-the smell was so extremely overpowering. Was not convinced that the place was truly clean and sanitized (if they used cleaning disinfecting agents), or if strong perfumy sprays and solutions were used to cover up stale, musty, moldy, smoke and old building odors. The smell in the room was so obnoxious and overwhelming that I had to turn on the A/C at night on high for an hour to get the room smelling half decent so I could sleep. Would not recommend for people with allergies, lung or breathing problems, or little children and babies to be inhaling that horrible smell. The sick odor stayed in my hair and clothes, and still lingers in my suitcase. Now I have to take in my nice clothes to the dry cleaners with the hopes that they can get the smell out. Carpet in room needed to be vacuumed. TV, dresser and lamps were very dusty. Frig was not plugged in and it took a while to get it cooled. Toilet very old and it took a few tries to get it to flush all the way. Old faucet fixtures. Electrical 3-way outlets very old (the wiring). One outlet had loose wiring and when I plugged a cord in you could hear a buzzing sound. That's probably why frig was not plugged in (I had to unplug microwave to plug in frig). Lamps in room and bathroom had very dim light, like 25 watt bulbs. Even with every lamp turned on, room was very dim and bathroom was very dim. Most towels looked clean and white, whole others had dark grease stains-looked like someone used washcloth to clean car with or polish shoes with; Desk clerk was very kind and helpful, but his female co-worker was too busy socializing with someone else to take a second to wait on me and answer a question. Do not recommend this hotel. If you do not have to stay in Madera (a small agricultural town with not much in it), a close-by alternative might be Merced, which is a larger town and has more, and nicer, hotels and restaurants available off the 99 freeway.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed July 23, 2007

This was my first visit to Madera so I don’t know what the other hotels are like to compare it to. So for $69 a night it’s a nice place. I stayed in a two queen room which was roomy enough for 4 people. It had a small fridge and micro wave which where convenient. It’s walking distance to a Mexican restaurant with good food for cheap and a mini market.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
A TripAdvisor Member
Berkeley, CA
Reviewed May 2, 2006

Although this hotel has many perks (free continental breakfast, easy elevator service, huge rooms), the freght train which passes each and every hour of the evening, blasting its horn for about 30 seconds as it passes through town, makes sleeping through the night (in any side of the hotel), virtually impossible.

• Stayed: April 2006