“A pleasant surprise”

Sal's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 119 Restaurants in Madera
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: We are a family owned restaurant offering diners warm hospitality and mouth-watering cuisine that will be remembered! Additional services include take out, off-site buffet catering, party trays, and casseroles - even handmade Tamales! Our Madera location is also proud to announce the addition of our banquet room that seats up to 120 guests. We hope you will join us today!
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We decided to eat here after having terrible service at Cazadores across the way. I will just say the out side made me think that I really dont want to be going in here, however once we got through the door and I saw people had filled most of the tables and I felt much better. We were seated quickly and service was great food was good and everyone looked busy working. (unlike Cazadores where we waited 20 minutes to get our order taken and no one was doing anything except sitting at the bar talking) Even the manager came by to say hello and make sure things were well, we happily told her how pleased we were. Madera doesnt get a whole lot of reviews because most people try not to stop there but if you find yourself stuck in Madera, Sals is a fine place to eat and I hope your experience is just as good as mine was.

1  Thank dogscout

Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Madera and this one was recommended by the hotel staff. In such case you never know what to expect, are their taste buds same as yours or are there totally off. Since I did not feel like looking around I went to Sal's.

A selection of appetizers was just perfect size for a few people and they were little bites which offers you truly the experience of the different dishes. Main dishes were large and well spiced, although for me a little on the underspiced side, I love my food hot and spicy, and I mean truly spicy. Chili con carne I expected to be a bit hotter than it was. However, the corn tortillas were great.

There is no true Mexican restaurant without a Margherita and their was great. Reminded me of the Margherita I had in Mexico. The comparison was easier as I ordered mango Margherita in both places.

Another Mexican favorite that I love are churros, however, it seems that making them right is not as easy as it sounds. Sal's churros are served with ice-cream and whipped cream, and they are delicious, just soft inside and crispy on the outside. A perfect finish to a great meal!

Restaurant itself is not very remarkable, it is located in a shopping area and the interior is not really anything to speak off. A bit of mexican music playing in the background, mostly in the kitchen area would be nice to spill the music to the restaurant, it would really give it a bit more atmosphere.

Service is great, the waiters are very attentive and happy to describe the dishes if asked about them.

1  Thank Agnes L

Been to Sal's Mexican Restaurant? Share your experiences!