“A great place for a family reunion with young children”
Review of Flip Flop Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lucerne Valley
Flip Flop Ranch
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our family had a fabulous time at Flip Flop Ranch in Lucerne Valley, California. My grandchildren, ages 2, 5, and 8, were able to feed the farm animals, hold a one-day-old chick, milk goats, pet the horses and collect eggs to eat for breakfast. We had campfires with s’mores, and made goat cheese and ice cream. There were spectacular sunsets and nighttime stars in this beautiful desert setting, which is surrounded by mountains.

We stayed in a house with two large main floor bedrooms and two adequate-sized bedrooms upstairs. The beds are brand new and comfy. We did share bathrooms. We had access to a full kitchen, a dining room that seats about 12 people, a large living room (where the 8 of us hung out), some tables and chairs set up outside and a swimming pool.

The owners provide ample and varied foods for breakfast---cereal, donuts, breads, English muffins, bagels, a Keurig coffee machine with a variety of coffee pods, pancake mix and syrup, fresh fruit, butter, and, of course, very fresh eggs. We prepared the breakfast and did the clean-up. We had access to the kitchen for all our meals and used the refrigerator to store the food we purchased for lunch and dinner. There are also some restaurants in town and at the Big Bear resort area.

The lodgings are not fancy but were perfect for our needs. This is a working farm, so the surroundings are what you would expect from a farm rather than a 4-star hotel. But the sheets were clean and the kitchen and other rooms were tidy and vacuumed.

The owners could not have been kinder or more helpful. Farmer Thomas and Serena were patient with my grandchildren and informative about farming and the animals. Thomas and his friendly wife, Tashelle, live in the house but are unobtrusive.

My grandchildren have begged to return next year—they will never forget the horses, baby chicks and their milking of the goats. We all loved the opportunity to be together comfortably and to have the experience of being on a farm.

I recommend Flip Flop Ranch for those who are OK with non-luxurious accommodations and the willingness to make your own meals and do the clean-up. For us city-people, it was a marvelous, enriching and memorable family reunion.

Room Tip: The downstairs rooms (one sleeps 2, the other 5) are quite large.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nancy B
FlipFlopRanch, Owner at Flip Flop Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Thank you for the excellent review! We loved having your family here and hope you'll be back in 2013 for another reunion!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Trip was Aug. 10-12 2012. We had a fabulous time! I do not know what other people expected, but I can READ... Flip Flop Ranch.... Working FARM! Not a Hollywood, Santa Monica, or NYC "meet my every need" resort! This place is superbly and invitingly simple. America needs to reconnect with all aspects of their country and varied environments. My children had a great time and had wonderful lifelong "real world" learning experiences at the farm with the animals and the awesome staff. Everyone at Flip Flop Ranch was great! My wife, children, and I enjoyed our stay very much. Serena, Farmer Thomas, Lisa, and the well educated and farm professional from Switzerland were the best and made our stay the best. I plan to return very soon and have a great time… again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Frank G
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We went on the Living Social deal and weren't totally sure what to expect. It turned out to be sooo relaxing and just what we needed! The family and staff that run the place are so warm and hospitable! Thank you, Sirena, Tashelle and Thomas! Don't expect a hotel. It's a farm and smells and feels like a farm, so once you accept that the reality the charms and chillness of it will cause all your tension to go away. You'll also see more stars and constellations than anywhere else in SoCal.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank spingourmet
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The website looks so much better than the reality. Yes it is a working farm, and my kids had fun being close to farm animals. But omg, the room and the bathroom. I wish they would have a picture of that in their website. The place is very very simple and definitely insanitary. Ok if you wash your dogs, with dish soap on the sink next to where you prepare food and use the same towels for the kitchen. Anyways, the kids were just getting real bored at the end of two days, as we were the only ones, and the chores might be fun for the first time or two but there was just nothing else to do. It is a very very simple living life. right after breakfast (pancake and bacon, and eggs if you are lucky) every body is doing their chores and you just sit there doing absolutely nothing. We cut our trip short and ended up paying for 4 days unfortunately. I just couldnt take it any more. If you go there, please ask for more pictures of the farm, and the place of stay, and you judge it for yourself.

Room Tip: ask for pictures
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank marjanb

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time. A farm vacation isn't for everyone and we try very hard on our website to explain what to expect. Unfortunately, you guys didn't want to take advantage of feeding the animals, our game room, our swimming pool, working with the farmers, taking a hike, looking at wildflowers, scratching the horses, visiting the petroglyphs, making cheese, or any of our other many many activities. Instead, you just stayed in your room and watched movies. I'm not sure what you expected, but I wish you had talked to us instead of just telling us you had a fantastic time. It makes us hard for us to make you happy when we don't know you're upset!

Note for any other visitors: Join in with the activities and you'll have something to do!

Reviewed August 18, 2012

We arrived at Flip Flop Farm on a Friday afternoon. We were greeted by Sirena, Tashelle, and Thomas who all own the farm and work on it every day. They work very hard! They gave us time to drop off our bags and then gave a great tour of the property. We fell in love with all the animals and the silence of the farm life, with the many moos and cockle doodle dos which were heaven to our city ears.

The farm family love what they do. You can tell by their exceptional care of the animals. They use natural farm techniques which I appreciated the way that they were aware of the environment. This family is educated which lead for great dinner conversations. They invite you to their dinner table each night to share their meals. You don't have to eat there but I think it is part of the experience. You feel like part of the family. I learned a lot at dinner each night discussing their routines and asking questions about the farm. They love to talk about the farm!

Our days started off early to hang out with the animals. First we played with the cats who were everywhere and were taking their farm responsibility serious! Our kids LOVED the kittens. Then the blood hounds who are all rescued greet you. One of our favorites was Rufus, who makes his rounds to ensure all the animals are accounted for. He is an amazing animal. Next we watched the pigs, cows, sheep, goats, ducks, turkeys, peacocks, chickens, and horses who all had good size pens and seemed to be enjoying life. The farm family prides themselves on helping to restore animal populations that are low or near extinction. They had some unique ducks and chickens I had never seen before. It was lots of fun to be able to go into the pens to feed them and give them water. They are well cared after including the many new baby ducks and chickens who are born on the farm and raised there. The animals are being bred for food but they are feed well natural foods and the farmers are helping to increase the breeds population when possible.

The farm also has a pretty good size vineyard and orchards with many types of fruits and nuts. We took lots of photos and tried several grapes that were ripe. We spent the day playing games in the game room, swimming in the pool, and enjoying farm life. It was a treat we always wanted to do. I was happy to find the ranch on a Living Social special because my daughter always wanted to stay on a farm. She loved being able to feed the animals, pretend they were her own for several days and to milk the goats. My husband and I also took a cheese making course, which we loved! Our whole weekend was an experience we won't ever forget.

Don't forget to try the ice cream hand churned (so creamy) and the jam the girls make. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank juliehallqvist
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We were there at think at the same time as the other person. Yes the meat that was served at dinner had indeed been left on the counter overnight. Sorry but just because it is a farm doesn't mean it should be dirty. Our boys had a good time too but would never take them back. An experience yes but not the best.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank Littlemissypoopoo

Sorry about your disappointment. I'm glad your children had a great time as we try very hard to make kids happy. Any meat that was left on the counter would have probably been for the animals. If it was served back when we were offering cooked meals then it shouldn't have been and was probably a rookie mistake when we were just getting started. We're real people and make real mistakes. That's part of the experience we offer! If you want a perfect hotel, then unfortunately you have to go to a hotel and not a farm. Please tell people when you're unhappy so things can be fixed!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is listed also as a Bed and Breakfast. It is NOT. You sleep in the home that does not resemble the pics. You will definitely share a bathroom with towels that are used over and over by everyone. I never saw a clean one.. Kitchen conditions are very unsanitary. Meat is left out due , to lack of refrigerator space, to thaw out . Eggs are unrefrigerated. This place is trying to carry out something they do not have the staff or facility to do.
Someone one unfortunately is going to become very ill. The table used for ice cream was served on a dirty card table from the barn. I can't speak to the conditions on the farm but I know my friend reported they are not what is considered a nice farm community. My kids were of course taken in by the many, many kittens and the farm animals it was heartbreaking to suggest that we leave. We just washed and washed their hands and fed then in town. Dinner was served outside with so many flies no one wanted to eat. No one with me got sick thank goodness...but it is a matter of time. I went on a Living Social Coupon. Sorry I ever saw it on line. Don't believe the reviews on their website. There people are using this as a money maker at your expense.

• Stayed: June 2012

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay here. I wish you had of said something and we could have tried to make things better or given you your money back!!

Of course you are right that things are dirty and dusty here. That's life on a farm, which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. I don't remember the table for the ice cream being dirty, but maybe it's just a perception thing. As for the eggs, we teach our guests that eggs don't need to be refrigerated if they aren't washed as they naturally have an antibacterial coating. Eggs in the store have to be refrigerated because they're washed.

As for the state of our animals, they are loved and adored and EXTREMELY well taken care of.

I am very happy that your children had an excellent time as that is what we're aiming for. We want to offer a down and dirty vacation and sometimes city folk don't get it. That's perfectly okay. This isn't a place for everyone, just for people who want an authentic farm experience. Just next time please tell someone about your concerns!

Been to Flip Flop Ranch? Share your experiences!