“Boundary Ranch restaurant.Poor!”

$43.22*
and up
1-Hour Horseback Trail Ride in Kananaskis
More attraction details
Owner description: Ideally located in the spectacular natural beauty of Kananaskis Valley, Boundary Ranch is the perfect setting to discover the authentic cowboy experience and Western hospitality. Folks are invited to spend time at our Western Entertainment Centre and participate in horseback riding and outfitting trips, barbeques, horse-drawn wagon rides, and any number of the other activities that we offer for cowpokes of all ages. Happy Trails!
Calgary, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“Boundary Ranch restaurant.Poor!”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Awful ,slow service, by a somewhat unengaged staff. Food very mediocre. Saving grace: great location.

1 Thank sunlover57

Adelaide, Australia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“My ride there was handled well.”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I had spent some time looking for a suitable ride for an experienced horse rider/owner, and I just gave up. In the whole Banff/area, I just could not get what I wanted....a half day, real ride, on a good horse, traversing exciting terrain, with some fast work. I settled for a short walk around the farm with Boundary ranch, with a bunch of beginners.

My experience was that the horses were all suitable, the guides somewhat capable, though I suspect not very experienced, and I did overhear guides chatting suggesting they were essentially passing through.

I guess a good horse riding experience is always problematical, but a rank beginner, totally safe experience is the bottom line that should be able to be delivered safely.

Visited May 2013
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Unsafe, unprofessional, unfriendly”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My wife and her friend, both experienced riders took me to this ranch as a surprise for my first horseride. Our group was of 8 people, most of them first timers and as we were given the instructions (how to turn left, right, stop and thats it) we witnessed the guide taming his horse rodeo style, which was not reassuring. The trail was beautiful but most of the two hours are in narrow woods, without views and a hard, complicated trail, hard for rookies... I often felt unsafe on the horse. After 1.5 hours, one of the guide's horses gets spooked causing most of the horses to bolt, mine included. Eventually as my horse was racing in the woods I fell off and the rest of the horses nearly ran me over, I was very lucky to be able to roll off the trail without serious harm -or even dying-. My trail ride ended up in a walking clinic in canmore and thankfully it was only bruises all over and a spraint finger. This was a truly awful experience. The veteran riders in my group assured the guide's horses were green, we were not provided with a helmet or proper instructions and after the incident, not only I did not get an apology but one of the guides - more cowboys than guides really- afforded the luxury of telling me "that's what you get for playing with animals". I most definitely would not recommend this ranch to anybody in general, but if you're inexperienced or you bring children is a must avoid. I will not ride again after this experience and nor is my wife, that's how bad it was.

6 Thank Unfortunaterider
Kelowna, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Appalling! Would not recommend!”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

Myself and several friends partook in a trail ride at Boundary Ranch in June 2013. We were very excited as the scenery in the region is quite spectacular; however, even before we were on our horses there were several red flags. One guide told the older gentlemen who appeared to be the ranch owner/manager that he could take out a very large group of us alone because he 'had a good horse'. This comment seemed rather egotistical, but fortunately was denied and a second guide was provided for the group. The next concern occurred when the initial guide got onto his horse and it proceeded to bronc for several minutes. Our guide explained that the horse had 'not been rode in a while'. Just the type of horse you want to take out with a group of (mostly) beginners. And, although it is somewhat standard for this type of facility, it would have been a thoughtful gesture to offer helmets to participants.

The initial part of the ride was fairly uneventful, but the guides did little in the way of providing instruction or guidance to any participant. Towards the end of the ride we could hear a commotion at the back of the group. The leader at the front seemed completely unaware, so we shouted up to him. Moments later a horse without rider came bolting through the group. This (understandably) caused the rest of the horses to spook and several other individuals fell off. We heard one of the guides state that 'this is what happens when you play with large animals'. Not exactly words to inspire confidence at that particular moment. Upon returning to the ranch we learnt that the entire incident was caused not by one of the trail horses, but by the guide's own horse spooking and throwing him. I do question why guides would choose to ride horses that are either not experienced or not frequently ridden when taking out large groups of beginners if safety were a priority here.

At no point was there ever any type of apology for the negative experience by either of the guides. When we brought the incident to the attention of the office staff (since neither guide seemed as though they intended to mention it) we were treated in a very cold and standoffish manner. It would have been nice to see any lack of concern for guest well being. The reason we were so appalled by our experience at Boundary Ranch has very little to do with the actual incident that occurred, and very much to do with the manner in which it was handled.

It is truly a shame as the scenery here is beautiful, and (to their credit) the horses provided for the trail ride participants do seem to know their jobs.

1 Thank Morgan L
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Trail Ride June 2013”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

myself and my partner joined another couple on a trail ride in June 2013. It was a sunny day.
Before the ride we had the steak lunch which was ok. The waiting staff were polite. We had a walk around the venue and were told various times to stay within the compound of the centre. We felt this place was very 'regimented' and we had a 1 1/2 hours ride. The trail leader was constantly chatting through out the ride which I found distracting at times from enjoying the scenery. Although the scenery was lovely, as we are two experienced riders.. felt the horses' are never given much stimulation as they may walk the same route every day and we didn't even get to trot a bit or canter. The horses in the stables looked very bored when we came back in. It just seems not as much care is put into the place and it may appear another 'too touristy' ranch venue. Our experiences are from small family owned ranches or even rescue places that provide trail rides as you will find owners will be more caring and forfilling.. not just a job ! check out Morris Vally Trail rides (Harrison Springs, BC) as this was one of the best ranches/rides we have ever experienced. The lady here devotes her life to this small ranch but well worth a visit !! we were made at home and the ride was amazing !! :)