“Great for families”

Delta Hotels by Marriott Kananaskis Lodge
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Reviewed August 16, 2008

We stayed in a signature club room which was very spacious and well equipped. The signature club lounge was great and we enjoyed the evening hors d'oeuvres and the morning breakfast.

Our son and daughter-in-law enjoyed the pool and hot tub and we also had very nice manicures and pedicures in the spa.

It was a pity we couldn't make a reservation in the Grappa restaurant and had to queue for a table. The food was OK but we preferred our dinner in the Fireweed Grill where, although somewhat lacking in atmosphere, the food was very good and good value.

We very much enjoyed the trails from the lodge finding them very well marked, easy to follow, and completely uncrowded.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Jinty27
Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed August 10, 2008

My wife and I decided to stay one night up at the Kananaskis Lodge, as the company was paying as a reward for work performed. All I can say is that I am glad I wasn't paying for this visit. The hotel staff were all friendly and their service level was very good. We were greeted at the door when we parked out front for registration and the desk clerk made sure to provide us with all the details of the facility. The hotel has three parking options, self parking for free, underground for $9 and valet for $15. We went with the self-parking and it was away from the building and in an awkward space to access the building. You actually park on one side of the Lodge and have to go around to the back to get in. The hotel room was a reasonable size and the bed was comfortable. The remainder of the furnishings needed some upgrading. The wooden chairs were in need of restaining since they were badly marked up, the desk could use a touch up, the armoire with the tv would not stay open unless I used a chair to keep it open and the bathroom is something out of the 80s. The biggest knock on the place was no air conditioning. They do give you a fan but when all the bed has is the fitted sheet and a comforter, there is not much you can cover yourself with, it is all or nothing. Even with the window open, there was no air movement and we had a restless "sleep". The entire Lodge needs a facelift, it is looking a little old and shoddy. The hallways were a little dark and somewhat dingy.

The spa and fitness area are modern and well appointed. It looks like they are independently owned since it was a marked improvement from the rest of the hotel. My wife decided to have a treatment and said the service was good and the facilities were nice.

The restaurants were bad in our opinion. For dinner, we ate at Grappa, the Italian restaurant. We had the share plate appetizer but it was really smothered in too much olive oil and their were items missing that were listed in the menu. My wife's spinach salad was to have a lemon vinagrette but all she could taste was the red wine that was included in it. I don't know why the wine was put in a vinagrette. I had the mussels and clams. Certainly not worth the money and in some cases, the shells were not fully open like they should be. The service was slow with a line to get in as the two staff members could not clear the tables and service the patrons fast enough. For lunch, we ate at the Fireweed. We had the fresh mozzarella appetizer. I am still looking for the mozzarella. For $10, I couldn't find it and when we did, it was 5 small slices and it certainly wasn't fresh. Having been to Italy, we know this wasn't the fresh stuff. Each small slice was served between a stack of tomato slices. A total waste of money. My wife has the bean and fish salad. She said it wasn't very good and would not order it again. I had the chicken panini. I am still looking for the chicken and the panini was actually two pieces of flatbread. There was lots of the bread that had no food under it. The fries were the McCain's frozen stuff that they used. There was no refill or offer to refill my Coke. Considering what we ordered, waiting 40 minutes to get it seemed really long. We left the restaurant and went to look for something to supplement the meal as we were still hungry but down $40. The restaurants want you to believe that they are gourmet but the descriptions do not match the quality of the food. You are a captive dining audience up there and they know it. The restaurants need a makeover and someone who is interested in providing a good dining experience.

We will not be visiting this declining hotel in the future as we spent $500 on the weekend and even though we didn't pay, felt totally ripped off.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank Travelling_Homer
Reviewed July 29, 2008

If you are planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies, and are flying in and out of Calgary, it is worth a trip to Kananaskis. The Delta Lodge, which hosted the G-8 Summit in 2002 and the Calgary Olympic Games in 1988, knows the meaning of service. Nothing is a problem here...if a guest is dissatisfied about anything, it is quickly remedied. You pay for this class of service, of course, so we could only afford to stay one night.

From the moment you open your car door, the service begins...The staff rushes to greet you and offers bottled water. We arrived an hour earlier than customary check-in time, and that was not a problem. Our room was ready. We were stunned a little, however, when we were told that it would cost $9 to park in the hotel's garage overnight. We elected to park in a visitor lot that was not that close to the hotel; my husband shuttled the luggage from the faraway lot to our room...no easy task.

We were exceptionally pleased with our loft room, which overlooked the gardens. This particular loft room had 2 bathrooms; a bathroom up in the large loft area, and a bathroom on the main floor. The loft also had 2 comfortable beds and a separate TV area. The bottom floor had another comfortable bed, a pull-out sofa bed and a dining area and work area. There was a refrigerator and a balcony as well. It was wonderful for our party of 4 to have so much room to spread out; there was ample room to store luggage, too.

We spent most of our free time walking the loop trail around the village, snapping photographs of the wildflowers. The wildflowers were beautiful and there were plenty of benches along the way to sit and gaze at the mountains and the countryside. If we had had more time, we would have hiked a few more trails. The Delta Lodge has a naturalist on staff, who conducts programs on variety of topics on certain days. We would have liked to have attended one of his/her talks.

My teenaged son enjoyed swimming in the salt water pool, and I enjoyed the whirlpool in the spa. My son was interested in meeting some other kids in the game room, but came back quickly when he discovered that there was an additional charge to play most games; he said that the only thing that did not accrue an additional fee was the ping-pong...

The concierge arranged for us to horseback ride at a nearby ranch. There were numerous other activities that we could have done in the area i.e. whitewater rafting, golfing, fishing, but we had to return to Calgary to catch a plane...

We all agreed that Kananaskis would be a wonderful weekend retreat if we lived close to Calgary. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, there is lots to do in Kananaskis. The Delta Lodge can help you plan it all...

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank PattyPAtlanta
Reviewed July 28, 2008

I stay at Delta's whenever I sightsee within my own Country. This hotel was amazing. It was in prime location and the views were out of this world. I went during May, so I didn't have any intention of doing any winter sports. Me and my partner went on a few walks, and took a horse ride. We stayed one night as it was only meant as a romantic get away before I left the country for a month for a family reason.
I booked the Signature Club room, Deluxe with two floors. Cost was $249/night however I wanted to go all out on this occasion. The room was amazing! It was like a little apartment. It had a bathroom downstairs, along with a living room with REAL fireplace ( complete with matches and logs!!!) a nice work stations and a good size TV. Upstairs was a king bed and another bathroom. It was kind of strange to have one bed, but two bathrooms. The room really made me feel like I was living the high life, for sure. Since this was a romantic get away my interaction with the staff was very limited. They checked me in without a hassle, and checked me out at 6pm the next day ( Free late check out) without a hassle. I didn't encounter house keeping or any other staff. This is partly due to the fact the Signature rooms are in a DIFFERENT building! In most hotels the Signature rooms are just on a higher floor, but here you get an entire building all to yourself for signature guests. I was very, very impressed.
The day we left it started to snow, which is typical for the last week in May. we seen some wonderful wildlife on the road that leads into the hotel, so please BEWARE when driving up to the hotel.the road is curvy and animals can be right in the middle of the road. If I can find a picture of the animals I seen, I will post them. I will also upload a few pictures of the room.

IF you go to this hotel, and you stay in the signature rooms, you'll have a great time and be very impressed.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Great hotel and excellent service. This is an older facility (you can tell) so I'm glad that it is undergoing renovations. We had originally booked a room with a king, queen, and sofa bed. Upon arriving, there was a king bed in the loft and a sofa bed. The staff was very friendly and gave us an additional room with two queen beds without charge. All the staff were very friendly, including the housekeeping staff. I just wish our room had air conditioning. Due to the renos, some rooms are better than others. Overall a great stay. The views are outstanding.

Just a note, their catering services are expensive. The food was okay and pop was cheaper out of the vending machine.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2008

As we arrived we were greeted by a concierge who asked our name and told us something about the activities that were going on. It was Hollywood in the Mountains.
It was nice as one he knew our last name then we were greeted by the check in staff.

The hotel was busy because of the special weekend, although it was geared toward the kids, there was still a good amount of peace and quiet at night.
The room was average with lots of information and comfortable beds. There was no a/c but the room did have a coffee maker and a kettle. Also it was a nice feature to have a sink outside the bathroom as well. There is no denying that the rooms need updating.
The three places to eat were good, a little pricey for what you get. The Grappa was very good with a decent wine selection and fresh tasting food. The Sunday brunch is not worth the money though, and we were a little disappointed in the in room breakfast, no butter or cream for the coffee.

The pool facilities were good, very expansive exercise room, steam room was excellent. Could have been a little cleaner in the pool area.

Housekeeping were excellent very clean with good attention to detail.

Good selection of in room entertainment.

There are some amazing views when you go on the walks around the area with benches everywhere.

All in all a fantastic relaxation spot in need of a little bit of updating.

Had a great time

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 29, 2008

I would like to add to the commendations made on the staff at this hotel.

I had an unplanned stay at the hotel with my two children due to my 4 year old daughter starting to vomit repeatedly following an afternoon of skiing at Nakiska. Upon arrival, I was assisted by the valet parking attendant who provided complimentary valet parking, cleaned the car exterior and left fresh water bottles for us. The front desk attendant upgraded us to a family room and arranged for gingerale and sprite to be sent to our room. On seeing us the following morning, the same front desk attendant immediately inquired as to how my daughter was feeling. I found this level of service and concern for our wellbeing to be far beyond anything I have ever experienced at a hotel.

Aside from the wonderful staff, the rooms are of a good size with a beautiful outlook onto trees and mountains. The pool is large, warm and clean with an atrium roof overhead and an adjacent hot tub. The restaurants and room service are reasonably priced and serve quality food. The children programs are excellent. I have stayed at the hotel three times and have been unfailingly impressed.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family