“Brrrrrr !!!!!”

Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Checked into this resort on Thursday , August 8th for a three day stay.

Check in was smooth and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my rate was only $99.00 as I am First Nations.

Room was very nice. We quickly changed and ran to the pool as the kids were excited to get a swim in after a long drive. To our disappointment the pool was so cold we did not last more than five minutes. The hot tub was also broken down so no chance of warming up in it either.

Restaurant - Free continental breakfast very morning or discounts off the hot breakfast. Did both and both were very good.

No house cleaning for the entire stay. I asked the front desk why and he stared at me blindly. He finally told me they were short staff and wasn't sure if there would be any for the weekend. Did give us new towels and I borrowed some out of the cleaning staffs room daily.

Casino - Great service here and in the lounge. No surprise here as that is where the money is.

Overall, if the pool was not like a recently melted glacier our stay would have been enjoyable, but with the state of it and the hot tub made it difficult to entertain the kids.

There are newer reviews for Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We were driving to BC and booked this place in advance. We arrived at 5:30 and were told our room was not ready. People in the lobby told us there was no house keeping available. The front desk told us to wait 20 minutes. When we came back he said it was not ready, but would be ready if we went to eat. We ate at the only restaurant, the buffet, and came back at 8:00. The room was still not ready. We actually ran into someone we knew who let us hang out in their room. At 8:50 we finally got in our room. The window had been left open and the screen was ripped. The room was full of moths. After I killed the bugs we finally settled in. The room was not cleaned well, but it did the trick. We got a 25% discount. As for the steak and lobster buffet....order a room service pizza. The buffet kept running out of food and plates. There was little staff and the lobsters were tiny, tiny, tiny. The hot tub was closed and the pool was not heated, so our kids just watched tv. This place only exists because of the casino, there seems to be little attention paid to the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SunnySpot99
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I had a great experience. The hotel staff were exceptional(especially Cheryl at the front desk). She was very accomodating trying to get us into our room early. The dining room staff was also very nice and made sure that we were well taken care of. The room we had was very large with a very comfortable king size bed, and a nice conversation area with couch, chair, fireplace and a large TV. It was very clean and quiet. Thanks Stoney Nakoda...we enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: Room 374 was very nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My husband and I tried to check into our hotel after 4:30 pm and were told that our room was not ready. The gentleman at the front desk told us we would have to wait at least 20 minutes for our room to be ready. We got into our room at 5:30 pm. Once we got into the room, I opened the drapes and saw that the room had not been dusted for what looked like weeks. I grabbed a face cloth, got it wet and wiped down the room. This makes me wonder what else has not been done properly. We were given 2 complimentary continental breakfast tickets. Not sure if everyone checking in gets these or whether we were given these due to the fact that we could not check in. There was one woman who tried to check in at 3:00 and was not able to get in until 6:00. Very sad.

My husband and I ate in the restaurant. We did not have the buffet as we were not that hungry but ordered off the menu. My husband had the Smoked Meat sandwich and I had the Denver with soup which was Clam Chowder. Everything was very good and we had lots of it. Our meal total was $24 with taxes. The buffet was $24.99 pp plus taxes.

The casino was not that busy and we did not spend much time in there because there were a lot of smokers.

The workers here seem to do things very slowly, they are certainly not in a hurry. That being said, the ones we had dealings with were very pleasant.

We will not stay here again - Calgary or Canmore will be our choice for hotels.

Room Tip: If you want a room with a view of mountains, ask for odd room number.
Reviewed August 4, 2013

IF I CAN SAVE A FAMILY OF FOUR 90.00 for the Steak and Lobster Buffett..then I wont feel so bad losing my 90.00. For what they charge for food, you would think they hire enough servers, and table cleaners. The steak was a tennis ball size rock wrapped in bacon. The lobster was this tiny lobsterette....both extremely overcooked. Its sad that this Resort(snort with disgust) only has one place to eat....so you don't have a choice if your kids are hungry.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

My husband and I won a 2 night stay at this hotel. I want to commend the restaurant staff for being very accomodating, quick, and friendly. We only had breakfast here, but the value was amazing and it was delicious. I agree with previous reviewers who are disheartened with the condition the rooms are falling into. I believe this hotel is only about 5 years old - but in our room i noticed already there were holes in the walls (that have been patched but not painted over), the carpet bubbled along the floor of the hotel room (someone clearly did not lay it right), the TV is very basic, there were visible chunks out of the furniture, the clock was not working and outside has weeds growing through the "patio" lobby area. If you are going here with kids please note the pool is NOT heated - nor does it appear that the water slide works (no water was running down it - so it was pointless and probably dangerous to use). The check in was not wonderful. The front desk gentleman gave us our keys but did not tell us how to get to our room, nor about the ammenities. I had to ask for this information (which - for the way this hotel is trying to sell itself to guests as an upscale gambling establishment - is really not my role as a guest). Lobby reeked of smoke and there were a lot of loiterers. Generally disappointed and glad i won the 2 night stay as it is not worth $250 for nights. Do yourself a favour and drive 15 minutes down the road to Canmore.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2013

My family and I checked in for a get away while my parents were visiting from out of town. Check in was fast and the hotel looked clean and beautiful when we walked in. We went into our room and it was fairly clean (except my dog found chips under the bed and there was a toy car in a drawer of the dresser and we found a dollar under the table). We asked the front desk for pillows and extra coffee since there were 4 of us and a dog. The first time anyone went to the washroom the toilet wouldn't flush, we ended up having to tell the front desk 4 times and waited 3 hours for someone to come fix the toilet, and the person who came to fix it was the guy working front desk that had been told of the problem 3 times before that. The guy came in and said the toilet was fixed however the next time we went to use it, it was still not working and we had to go to the lobby washrooms all night. We were never told until the next morning when the toilet STILL wasn't working that they have NO MAINTENANCE on staff after 4 pm and they don't come in again until 9am. When we said we are thinking of not staying the next night the morning staff didn't seem to care at all and said "do whatever you have to do"

Ohh and the pool is an ice bath and the hot tub jets are out of order.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family