“Fantastic Hotel, Fantastic People”

Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Reviewed June 9, 2013

This hotel was not even in our radar, but we are so glad that we stopped. We were going to stay in Canmore, but could not find anything that suited us. This hotel is alone on the Trans Canada and you cannot miss it. The front desk staff was professional, answering all my questions and even let me see a room. The room was clean, huge and very comfortable. Our view from our roon was beautiful. We ate in the restaurant that night and the food was really good. My son commented that it was the best pizza he ever had!! My sons used the golf simulator and played 9 holes of golf!! The pool and hot tub were clean. The water slide tired out the boys!!! Breakfast was good, alot of healthy choices.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view and upper floors.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Stayed here once again, I do at least once a year on our annual golf trip to Kananaskis. The hotel/casino is located well for golf at the Kananaskis, Canmore courses and not bad for Banff. The hotel is clean, I received a complimentary upgrade, even though the hotel was pretty busy with tourists and construction crews (still very clean common areas). My room was without a telephone, which was not a big deal to me, and I never mentioned it to the front desk until check out...they were quite surprised at the fact of no phone. Also my desk lamp was without a light bulb, and I turned it so it was obvious to the cleaning staff, but they never took the hint, and was still without bulb upon my return. The housekeeping staff DID however fulfill my request to leave me pouches of decaffeinated coffee rather than caffeinated, and that is/was appreciated. The room was clean, and generally sound-proof, in that you couldn't hear people in other rooms, nor walking in the hallways. The public rooms/areas were clean, the bar and "non-smoking" restaurant have the same menu, except on the "special' nights-a couple of times a week- when the latter has buffet(s). The down side is the bar allows smoking, which is annoying, and although the "restaurant" is smoke free, is very, very quiet, and doesn't have T.V.'s so if you wanted to watch the games (hockey/basketball/baseball) you'd be forced to sit in the bar, attached to the smoking allowed casino. Staff are friendly, Basic continental breakfast is included, or provides $6 discount off a a la carte breakfast, when I say basic continental breakfast it is just that, muffins, toast/bagels, yogourt, canned fruit, and boiled eggs. Restaurant/bar menu is pretty basic, but adequate. Food was ok, nothing great, but ok, and considering you aren't really near any other place for dinner, the prices are ok too...they don't gouge you like the "big chain" hotel at Kananaskis Village. I'll stay again. Rates are pretty good as well, I paid $103 (plus tx) for one person/night.

Room Tip: West facing rooms are best, good views, nice evening sun.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

we stayed at this hotel for 2 days in May 2013,Room was wonderful, clean and super big. Breakfast was very fresh. Price was reasonable and affordable. People at front desk were very nice. I will for sure go back.

Room Tip: Both side rooms are very good. Great view from both side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed a few years ago at the resort, remember thinking it was OK for the price. This time I paid more attention. Had the KIng standard room, was slightly bigger than expected. I found that it was very clean, something I was a little worried about, didn't have to be. You had room to move. The buffet was steak and lobster, and a good variety of other things. The Basa fish in a sauce was excellent, the price was very reasonable, all in all well worth it. The casino is perhaps a bit small, good thing it was not overly busy, the service was good. Any staff we encountered were very friendly. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We stayed a Friday night for our anniversary and booked the romance package. It was a great deal! Free breakfast, clean rooms and friendly front desk staff. We donated a little more in the casino then we intended but all the blackjack dealers were so nice and entertained us the whole night! The restaurant and bar staff were very friendly and room service was the fastest service I have ever experienced! Only suggestion I would say is if you are playing in the casino it is much faster for you to go to the bar and place your own order rather then waiting for a server to make their rounds.

Room Tip: Book a package its worth the value!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Wife & I stopped here by chance, for $169 got room with excellent mountain view, $50 food voucher included, jet tub, double shower, 2 tv's,living room, bedroom, Internet, good food & casino, all in the heart of trout fishin country!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob V
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This place is awesome. There is the casino that you get to hang out at if you are alone it's no big deal. The patrons and staff are very friendly. The roon was really comfortable, the bathroom had a tub and shower but they are seperate. I like that idea of being able to have a bath while my husband showers. The bed was really comfortable and there were lot's of pillow which I love.
The breakfast was nice in the morning and the beer was cold at nigh. Beautiful view of the mountains as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends