“Great place to stay for skiing!!”

Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Kananaskis Country
Red Deer
“Great place to stay for skiing!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We normally stay at the Delta in Kananaskis however got a way better deal here and we will definitely be back. We requested and paid a small amount more for the mountain view and it was worth it, wow, spectacular. The food here is really good and they have a pasta buffet night on Thursday's really reasonable and good. There is also a buffet on Friday night prime rib and lobster tail for $24.99 make sure you bring you ski pass and they will give you one meal free it was really great there was 4 of us and we had 2 glasses of wine and the bill came to $100.00 with tip now that's cheap can't imagine what that would have cost at the Delta. Rooms were modern and big, service awesome front desk people were super helpful when we had to borrow a fax and photocopier for a family emergency. All in all will definitely be back, only complaint and it's pretty trivial is the pillows were too big.

Room Tip: Mountain view if possible will take your breath away especially on sunny days. If you go to the Fri...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Korean first
invemere, B.C
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed from Feb 8-11 for a quick get away. For us, it was a great location as you can run into the city or hop over to Canmore or Banff. We did all of that and enjoyed coming back to the hotel in less then an hour.
The hotel itself is nothing special, it is clean and has everything you could want. We brought our own pillows because we like them and a pillow makes a big difference in how you sleep. However they supply good pillows. We also brought our own coffee and maker as we like coffee in the morning and hate the the little pot that are in hotels, we also like our brand of coffee. Bringing these two items really made for a relaxing stay.
The buffet on Friday was sooo good, kind of suprised us. The lobster are small ( sad ) but you can go and get one at a time as many times as you want.
The casino was great for us as they have the slot machine that my husband and I like to play. Granted, they are quite tight, we did see people win though and my husband and I both won $180 dollars each on a 40 cent play. That was fun and kept our gambling funds going.
All in all, we would go back. Hopefully not the same room as when the wind blows our room suffered from some noise from the vents on the roof that made sleeping a bit tough.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed with a group of 10 friends this past weekend, had a fantastic time, but I'm not sure how much I would attribute that to the resort itself.

Reservations - Booked through groupon for $79 which was a fantastic deal, I called to make a reservation in December. The girl on the line was very friendly and helpful, however when I asked to be sent a confirmation email, that was forgotten. I then called a few days before my reservation and asked if I could have my confirmation code I was simply told "no" and then when the conversation was over she said "thanks" and hung up. Not exactly the friendliest person I have ever spoken to.

Check In - Checked in by a girl who was EXTREMELY friendly and kind. This girl should be teaching the reservations girl how to take calls because she was very very nice. Check in was quick and we were up to our room in no time.

Room - Room was spacious with lots of natural light. Modernized furnishings and a vanity in the main room which came in really handy when two girls are trying to get ready at the same time. Great idea! Unfortunately, when I went to call it a night, there were black hairs all on the pillow cases, ew! I took off the pillow case and slept but it wasnt the best situation. Otherwise, the bed was very comfortable and provided a good night sleep. Tip - I found the room warm because the sun shines in throughout the day, turn the fan on!

Casino - Good atmosphere, didn't seem as smokey as I would've thought. I won some money, but didn't spend enough to really win the big bucks.

Food - Sidelines Pub offered good food. Our server was fantastic, really nice and helpful, however the bar was sloooooow. Took forever to get drinks. I had a burger and poutine, the grazy was black, and tasted quite funny but the burger was good. Drinks were resonably priced and those definitely kept flowing. BEWARE of paying extra for the breakfast buffet in the morning. I got there at 11:00am and breakfast was scheduled to 12:00pm and everything was rock hard and freezing cold. Continental breakfas that was included would have been better, I couldn've made my own toast.

All in all, our group really enjoyed ourselves, however I think I can relate that to the group of people I was with, and not necessarly the resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
High River, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

In early January 2013, we spent two days in the mountains with a family group of 9. We stayed at the Stoney Nakoda Resort & Casino because it was mid-way between the tubing hill at Mr. Norquay and the ski hill at Mt. Nakiska. The staff were exceptional in accommodating any request. The lovely lady at the check-in desk was swamped with a line-up but stayed cool and treated everyone as if they were the only one checking in - very personal service and she gave a wonderful first-impression for the complex. The hotel worked out better than we'd anticipated as the room we had was large enough to hold everyone for visits in between activities. Our three granddaughters LOVED the pool and water slide. In the evening the adults in the group enjoyed the on-site casino and some of us came out with more than we went in with! Having a family buffet night on Thursdays kept the dinner cost reasonable and the complimentary breakfast was great. We'll certainly go there again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We have been here overnight twice and throughly enjoyed our stay. From the rooms, sights, casino, food and staff. Their romantic package not only very reasonable but beautifuly done.
great casino and staff. The entire hotel is beautifuly done and the mountain views terrific.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just got back from spending 2 nights at the Nakoda (for my first time). Where are these negative reviews coming from? I was at first a bit hesitant, as I didn't know what to expect.
The place was pristine and modern, rooms were a good size, beds were very comfortable, continental breakfast was free, and it was better than I've had before (three different types of cereal, yogurt, tons of FRESH fruit, muffins, toast, even hard boiled eggs). If that wasn't good enough for someone (it was more than good enough for my family) then they could use their coupon for $6 off the hot breakfast buffet (which we didn't use, because the continental was more than enough for us).
The place was extremely clean, and professionally run. The pool with waterslide was perfect for us, as it had a hot tub right beside it, and we could watch our children while enjoying the warm tub.
Most importantly, the staff, from house cleaning, to restaurant personell, to front desk were wonderful, up beat, and made us feel very welcome.
I stayed Jan. 4-6/2013. I paid 2 star hotel prices for 4 star accommodation. If people demand 5 star accommodation, and choose to pay this price, maybe they should pay three times as much ( or more) and stay at the Banff Springs Hotel
If the moderator from the casino reads this response, please give accolades to your staff. They were all wonderful, the place is fun and family friendly,
As far as location goes, you obviously get there by vehicle. Canmore is 15 minutes away. Banff another 15. For the money saved, without compromising comfort, well more than worth it.
I can't wait to visit it again, and will highly recommend it to all my friends, with no reservations (no pun intended, LOL).

Room Tip: The mountain view room is well worth the few extra dollars, otherwise you basically have a view of t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank rickjel
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We arrived at 6:30 to check-in, our room was not yet ready. The front desk was not helpful with this situation at all. 1/2 hour later after speaking to the manager we were given a room. Went up to said room and it was already occupied. Started the process all over again. Was given a room but not the kind we had reserved. Given free buffet voucher, but the food was nothing special and I was glad it was free because it wasn't worth the $25 price. Found several hair in the bathtub and in the bed as well. Will not be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family