“Unforgettable Weekend in the Great Outdoors!”
Review of River Runners

River Runners
Ranked #8 of 16 things to do in Lotus
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Inspired rafting adventures on the scenic American Rivers in Northern California. River Runners specializes in vacations on the South Fork of the American River. With River Runners you can unwind, unplug and have an unforgettable adventure.
Reviewed July 18, 2016

Just back from the most amazing weekend on the American River with River Runners. We were a group of 24 friends that went up for a 2-day river adventure and River Runners are by far the best. If you are looking for an experience beyond just zipping through the river, stopping and seeing where a beaver is building a dam, picking some blackberries, jumping from rocks into rapids or just catching some sun on some rocks at some of the best places along the river than River Runners is for you. This is my 5th year going up and rafting with River Runners and it is one of my most anticipated weekends of the year!

They do everything for us, we just relaxed the entire time and enjoyed. We arrived on Friday afternoon and the tents were ready for us all we had to do was select the one we wanted, place it where we wanted and put our stuff in it and then relax. They did the rest. Day 1 began with them making breakfast for us in the morning and cleaning it up, a great orientation of what to expect and how to be safe rafting on the river then it was to a day on the river. We stopped for a great lunch all set up by them along the river and relaxed a bit and then jumped back in the boats to raft the rest of the day. A bus picked us up and bussed us back to camp where we showered and they made dinner for us and cleaned it up as well so we could just relax and enjoy our beers, the stars, a campfire and the great outdoors. Day 2 they again made a great breakfast, cleaned up and then bussed us up river to another starting point where we rafted the better part of the day and then ended back at the camp where they made us bbq'd hamburgers and hot dogs and we said our goodbyes to head back home.

Absolutely, by far, the best and most knowledgeable guides on the river and you will have the most amazing time. The owners John Kosakowsky & Sarah Vee are wonderful and their guides not only know the river and have your safety as their number 1 priority but they know the best spots to stop, the best rapids to swim (if you want to swim rapids), the best places to jump from rocks and ride a rapid only to have it spin you back into a small calm pool. If you are just into kicking it in the boat, that is cool too.

The best weekend ever! They are AWESOME!

1  Thank Dan D
"first timers"
"sarah"
in 15 reviews

Reviewed July 11, 2016

I just came back from a wonderful day on the South Fork with River Runners. Daniel was our guide. Another mom and I each had our 2 kids, ranging in age from 9-14. If you want to go river rafting, avoid the weekend days as the number of rafts out on the river is very high , which makes the experience less fun. We opted to go on a Friday, which proved to be a great choice. River Runners has a different philosophy than many of the other companies that run day trips. In total, we were on the water about 7 hours. Kids were allowed to jump off the raft to swim (if you like cold water, then you will LOVE this river), and there were several places where we were allowed to jump off rocks into deep pools of water. Everyone had a GREAT time and we were never rushed or told to hurry up. Many of the other companies that charge about the same price, spend about half the amount of time on the water, which leads to a very different experience.

Things to bring with you on the raft: Wear water shoes, if possible, as you will have these on your feet all day long. I wore Teva's but by the latter half of the day, they felt heavy with the water and sand from the river. Wear a rash guard! Don't mess around with the sun. We all wore long sleeve rash guards, hats, and sunglasses and we were very happy. Bring a dry change of clothes to change into . You will be very happy to get out of your wet stuff at the end of the day. Also bring a dry pair of sandals or flip flops. Daniel was fabulous and patient with the kids.

1  Thank Dominique B
Reviewed July 11, 2016

My sister, niece, cousin, and I shared a raft in a convoy of 4. The experience, my first, was excellent! We were on the one-day class III trip. This company produces a safe, fun trip that is more than just navigating the rapids. They stop along the way at places to enjoy interesting and entertaining rock formations that add to the pleasure and excitement... rock slide, belly button, and the birth canal, as well as jumping off a tall rock for those so inclined. We also got to see/walk along some areas along the side of the river and pick/eat wild blackberries!

Lunch was comfortable, filling, and wholly adequate: fixins for sandwiches, chips, cookies, and grapes. Plenty of fresh cold water with lemonade mix to add if flavor is wanted. The area is an easy walk to clean pit toilets.

The rapids were fun and splashy, but I never felt unsafe or scared (although I have bungy jumped before so maybe I'm more adventurous than some). And in all fairness, I must add that our guide was my cousin's son Kyle and he was super awesome. Although I'm sure we got a little extra chat and tour, he's capable, competant, and grew up on the river so he knows his way around it. I met the other guides and wouldn't hesitate to ride with or recommend any of them.

I'm not sure how costs compare between companies, but I feel like I got a good value. Especially when you consider what it costs to go skiing or to a theme park, the cost of a safe, fun filled, and wild day on the American River was a good deal!

1  Thank Kitty L
Reviewed June 19, 2016 via mobile

I have done multiple trips with River Runner's & each experience has been amazing. I've also done many trips with other companies but this is a family-owned business Sarah, Jon (ownrers & world class guides) take a Hands-On approach & try really hard to make sure every guest has a great time. South Fork (upper and lower) is awesome but my personal favorite is the Middle Fork! I would highly recommend you try them all it's well worth it!

Date of experience: June 2016
2  Thank 396jackb

Been to River Runners? Share your experiences!