“Great day, lots of fun”

Action Whitewater Adventures - Day Trips
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We just used our groupon vouchers yesterday, and my family had a blast. Action Whitewater Adventures was very friendly, low keyed, but professional and I always felt my family was in good hands. Our guide Jim was assume and hit all the rapids perfect for a great ride, but didn't lose anyone overboard.

We will defiantly use Action Whitewater again for another river trip.

1  Thank Stacey P
"our tour guide"
"middle fork"
"customer service"

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Apparently, this company is under new management, because our experience was entirely different than the negative reviews.

A group of 6 of us found this company on LivingSocial and decided to take advantage of the deal. We made reservations well in advance and had good communication from the company as we prepared for the adventure. We did the Lower South Fork Gorge run. We arrived at around 10:00AM to check in. At 11:00 they gathered everyone for a safety briefing and instructions on how to paddle. Then, we were on the river.

I've been rafting several times in the past and have had both good an not-so-good experiences. Our guide, Jim was excellent. He has a lot of rafting experience and was both skilled and fun to talk with during the trip.

After about an hour on the river, we pulled over for lunch, which was set up in a nice shady area. The food was excellent. Deli-style sandwiches with lots of choices to build whatever you like, chips, cookies, veggies, salad, etc. There was plenty to eat. Unfortunately, they ran out of plates and cups, but we still managed.

This run is great for first-timers, but it's a lot of fun for experienced rafters, as well. It starts with class 2 rapids and builds to a couple of nice class 3's to get you wet toward the end. There are a few calm areas along the way to jump in the water and float along with the raft, if you like. At the end of the run, as you reach the Salmon Falls Bridge, a jet ski gives the group a tow to the ramp where you grab a drink and meet up with a bus for the ride back to Lotus Camp.

Overall, it was a great experience and we would certainly go with this company again.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

AWA is operating under new management this season. We were lucky enough to get a groupon deal, and we had no problems when we called to book. We ended up on a 6 person boat with an amazing guide. Everyone was very professional, yet relaxed, and made us feel very comfortable.
Don't expect to show up at Camp Lotus and be on a boat immeadiately. Arrive early and enjoy the cool, calm, relaxed setting that the Camp has to offer. Dip your toes in the river. Enjoy the morning shade. Have a breakfast snack from the Lotus General Store and meet your guide as he or she inflates the raft on which you'll spend the day. There's a 25 minute ride from the Camp to the launch point. It's a great time to meet and greet your fellow rafters and gude. Enjoy it!
We were fed a satisfying BBQ meal for lunch. It's great that if you do the all day tour, your lunch is where you park. You can grab or drop anything you need from your vehicle, change clothes or shoes, and check email if you've played hooky from work!
The trip down the river is exhilarating! Trust your guide and you will be rewarded. We happened to be there on a slightly higher flow day, and even though I am usually terrified of swiftwater, I felt just scared enough, but still totally comforable with our guide. If you're aware, yet relaxed, you will get the thrilling and comfortable experience of paddling down the American River with Action Whitewater Adventures!

Reviewed October 24, 2011

First of all, let me begin by saying, this company BITES!!!! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME OR WORSE YOUR MONEY!!!! If I could give this company "No Stars" I would definitely do it.

As an avid whitewater rafter, I was thrilled to buy discount trips through Living Social and Groupon as I raft frequently which can get expensive. Thank God, both companies refunded my money.

Trying to contact Action was a dilemma in itself. The phone message states to send an email as the phone service is "experiencing difficulties". So, I sent an email requesting available dates to run the Middle Fork of the American River. Waited, waited and waited some more... Finally a return email two weeks later listing the dates available on the South Fork ONLY when I clearly stated we had purchased the vouchers for the Middle Fork. I emailed back and gave them the dates plus secondary dates we wanted. Waited, waited and waited some more as we watched both dates pass by with no response. Finally after three more weeks of waiting, I received an email stating they only were able to run on Wednesdays.... Nowhere in either voucher did Action relay that info. Sent a return email stating we could not run a Wednesday asking for weekend options with new dates. AGAIN NOTHING!!!! I started researching the company and could not find any indication they even had the appropriate permits/ license's to run the Middle Fork. Immediately I think, "Pirate Runs". Sent an email to Action AGAIN letting them know I was VERY unhappy with their lack of customer service in response to emails and phone calls and questioning their lack of a viable permit. Got a very snippy email back from "Dylan" stating they do have a permit, etc. Continued to research through CA Parks and Rec, Water Reclamation Board, etc. Never did find a permit....

This company has offered vouchers through Groupon, Living Social and Fox Frugal Fridays. They are understaffed, unreliable and will leave you "at the curb" without a second thought.

Do yourself a favor and find a different rafting company as there are plenty of them to choose from. Whitewater Voyages is GREAT as is OARS.

3  Thank cdspencer