“Old Stage Coach Stop”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2018

The food and service are excellent. Ask to be seated on the porch if possible. It is not outside, just better ambiance. The chef has a does a great tomato soup for a start. Then I recommend the prime rib. And definitely leave room for the mud pie desert. And then do your best to stand up and leave!!!!

Reviewed May 21, 2018

Had an excellent meal salmon and rack of lamb paired beautifully with Andrew Muarry wines the other day - the service was impeccable and Chef Halme converted me to loving lamb which I never really ordered before. I'm sorry to hear she is leaving in June - try and stop to try the menu prior to her departure.

Reviewed May 21, 2018

The Chef, Maili, is simply amazing. She made the best food for our group of 28 people and everyone was blown away!!!

Reviewed April 29, 2018

Let me start with a quote from a classic 80's alternative band the Chameleons UK and their song "Nostalgia"...close your eyes and feel the heavy drum beat and swirling guitars, with a haunting droning 80's vocal...

"There isn't time to stand still
We are constantly changing
You're draining my will
I find myself rearranging my points of view
There isn't much I could do
Despite my fear it helps to
Share my nostalgia with you

Tomorrow I remember yesterday
Tomorrow, remember yesterday
Tomorrow, remember yesterday
Tomorrow I remember yesterday"

If you understand these lyrics, you understand the core problem with Mattei's, it's a nostalgic place for so many people, with so many memories that it's kinda doomed to make no one happy in the present...it sure as hell can't live up to some unrealistic memory of the way things used to be...and the way things used to be in recent years has been constantly changing. It has been 3 different concepts since we have lived in the area. And for me that seems to be a key part of the problem, just a few years ago, it was a very successful location ran by the "Brothers", who now run a great steakhouse at "The Red Barn" in Santa Ynez. Then it was something I don't remember, and now it's Matteis again. I suspect there have been real estate dealings and ownership changes over the years and what seems to be lacking is a solid investor/chef/creator relationship. In it's current state, chasing nostalgia of the old Matteis, I just don't see this place surviving. The food can be very inconsistent, the cocktail menu uninspired, and the service labored. For me, it's not where I want to drop a Grant on a Prime Rib, and I didn't grow up driving the 154 with grandma and stopping in while traveling, so I'm not chasing the nostalgia. If you have never been, the location is charming, just stick to drinks in the bar and bar snacks. For this place to truly flourish it must live in the present with a good partnership and a concept that isn't dragging along the baggage of the past. To quote Buddah...“The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly.”

Reviewed April 10, 2018

We really enjoyed our meals here, and the atmosphere (inside an old tavern/hotel from long ago) was great. Walkable from town.

Been to Mattei's Tavern? Share your experiences!