“Get There Before 4:45 p.m. Or You'll Be Turned Away At The Door!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Curtis Winery - CLOSED

Curtis Winery
San Diego, California
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Get There Before 4:45 p.m. Or You'll Be Turned Away At The Door!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

As a wine blogger, I was extremely disappointed with Curtis Winery. Granted it was late in the day, but the experience was inexcusable. A fellow winery recommended Curtis as a nice friendly place to visit, however, our experience was less than friendly, or nice. Granted, we arrived at 4:40 p.m. to wine taste--the winery was open until 5 p.m. We were briskly rushed to the wine bar and the host informed us that he "had a life" and that we would have to move our tasting along quickly. Did I mention that it was a 3-day holiday weekend? Reluctantly, we paid for our speed wine tasting which was a mistake. Not to say that the Rhone wine blends were not good, but the rushed, rude service left a bad taste in our mouths. Billy, the host, seemed very knowledgeable, but standoffish. The pouring was skimpy and the descriptions were curt. I was appalled when two military guys from San Diego (our hometown) arrived at 4:46 p.m. and were rudely turned away. Give me a break Billy! It was Memorial Day for goodness sakes--these guys represented our country! What the heck was so important for you to do at the stroke of 5:00???? Not only were the military guys turned away, but so was another group of six women at 4:47 p.m. Maybe Curtis Winery doesn't need the business, but as a wine blogger, I didn't want to be given the business either.

Los Angeles, California
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great wine tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

My son belongs to this winery, and he gets 6 free tastings so while camping this weekend, a group of us went. The wines were excellent and Billy (wine pourer!) gave us an excellent review of all the wines. He was accommodating and informative. We had a wonderful picnic on Curtis's grounds and actually joined their wine club.

Seattle, Washington
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Wonderful experience in the tasting room and excellent wines”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

Billy took great care of us - made us laugh, poured us amazing wines and I joined the wine club. The attention to detail in describing the wines was impressive and our large group really enjoyed ourselves. I hope to get back to the winery for a relaxing day on the lawn with a bottle of anything!

Shell Beach
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Amazing staff at Curtis Winery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Curtis Winery has always been my favorite winery in the valley and I have been a wine club member there for some time now. Every time I visit I feel welcomed by either Julie or Bill, who usually work on the weekends. They have always been very accommodating and even let me have an extra taste of something it it's open because I'm a member. The only thing that they cannot taste you on is the Jarhead Red wines; all of the proceeds go towards the Marine Corps. Scholarship Foundation and every bottle they open in the tasting room takes away from that fund.

Curtis has a beautiful front lawn with views of the vineyards which is perfect for picnics or tasting outside. Their wines are beautifully understated, reflective of an old-world style and their Syrahs showcase specific vineyards. If you come during harvest and in the middle of the week, chances are they'll take you back to the crush area so you can see the winemakers in action!

This winery is a must try if you are in the area!

Visited October 2012
SoCal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great staff, nice wines and beautiful grounds”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

On a trip with two couples, visiting about ten wineries over two full days of tasting, you would think the last place you visit would be a quick stop, "I've had enough" experience. We had reserved a wine-chocolate pairing class and I was eager to get on the road to drive back to Santa Clarita.

Of all the winery personnel we encountered over the two days, Julie T. at Curtis Winery was the most personable and down to earth. It was like sampling wine with a friend rather than being lectured to by a wine snob. She got the message across about the wines Curtis was offering while seeming to enjoy conversing with us. The wine and chocolate class was fun and informative.

We felt so good that instead of driving away immediately after the class, we decided to sit outside under the oak trees and admire the scenery, reluctant to head back to the rat race.

Our trip to the Solvang area was a success and our visit to Curtis Winery really capped off the experience.

Visited April 2013