“Over the top - delicious food in a great town”

Sides Hardware and Shoes - a Brothers Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Sides Hardware and Shoes - a Brothers Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 12 Restaurants in Los Olivos
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Grand Avenue
Transit: Routes A and B stop across the street from Sides Hardware and Shoes. Please check www.syvt.com for route information.
Description: Brothers Matt and Jeff Nichols named Sides Hardware and Shoes in tribute to Milburn Sides who opened his store in Los Olivos in 1901. Serving lunch and dinner daily, enjoy The Brothers “bacon steak” – a thick cut of house-made applewood smoked maple bacon, the Hammered Pig Sandwich of Fried Pork Tenderloin with Apple and Mustard Seed Slaw, a classic Brothers Burger and Albacore Fish Tacos for lunch; as well as Fried Chicken, Lamb Sirloin and Salmon prepared with seasonal ingredients. Featuring eight local wines, stored in kegs and served on tap as well as a full list of Central Coast wines.
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Over the top - delicious food in a great town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have never visited Los Olivos. This restaurant was highly recommended by a good friend as well as the manager of the Fess Parker Inn where we stayed. Wow, were they right. We had a fantastic meal.

The location is right of Grand Ave (although it would be hard not to find it, everything in the town is in close proximity.

The atmosphere is fun, but spartan. The focus here is on the cuisine. There is an extensive wine list, and we opted for a bottle of local Blair Fox Syrah, which was over the top delicious. They also have a full cocktail bar, but it would be a shame to miss out on the local beverages.

For starters, I had the calamari, and my wife enjoyed the brussel sprouts. She loves brussel sprouts, and I am okay with them, but I can honestly say they are some of the best I have ever tasted in a light vinegar sauce with capers, toasted to a crispy brown, yet soft on the inside. The calamari was crisp and flavorful and is tossed with battered jalapeno slices and onion. The aioli sauce was outstanding.

For the main course, I had the Diver Scallops which were large and extremely flavorful and served on a bed of their famous bacon, both delicious and my wife enjoyed the rich steak au poivre.

For dessert, we tried the popcorn ice cream, just because we had to. It had a very interesting creamy/salty mouth feel that made for a great end of the evening.

If you are in the area, don't miss this place.

• Visited August 2014

Santa Barbara, California
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014

Excellent food, excellent drinks and even excellent company !
One of the best you can visit ..........
No wonder everyone smiles.

• Visited November 2013
Naples, Italy
“fantastic burgers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2014

I know I am biased towards high scores but, on the other hand, if a place is not worth I prefer not to waste time writing a bad review. Therefore, once more, an exceptional place. I was il Los Olivos for a wine tasting tour the force and a frien of mine wanted to take me for a snack before indulging ourselves to the local wineries... THE PLACE is a must. The bacon steak (sweetened in maple syrup) is unforgetable and the burgers are both delicate and very tasty. The dressing of the salad remains for me a pleasant mistery: may be there was some gingerbut i am not sure.

• Visited August 2014
Chicago
“Great place in idyllic Los Olivos”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We had dinner here last week -- a party of six and a baby. While the meal was a bit pricey, it was really delicious, and everyone had a great time. We had several appetizers -- 4 -- and ordered 6 entrees. We also had a bottle of wine, coffee and dessert. The bill was about $350. However, everything was very fresh and cooked perfectly. We had several bacon appetizers -- truly fantastic. I highly recommend anything they prepare with bacon! The bacon they make is really good. We also had a fresh vegetable salad which tasted just like summer. Yum. Entree-wise, we had a lamb that was perfectly done and very well seasoned. Two people had the fried chicken which was crispy and juicy! Two had scallops that were really, really good...a little salty, but very tasty. One person had the pork cheek with sunchokes, and it was really good. For dessert, we had a blueberry lemon cake thing -- AWESOME -- and an ice cream cookie sandwich, which was just ok. Probably the weakest thing of the whole meal.

The service was very good and everyone was very nice to us. No one seemed to mind the baby at all, either, which is always a very nice thing. I will definitely go back here. Truly one of the best reataurants in the area.

• Visited July 2014
Dana Point, California
“Brothers Revisited”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We had lunch at Mattei several years ago and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately we met one of the Nichols brothers in the lobby and he told us that the restaurant would close next week. Needless to say on our most recent visit we were glad to hear that they had opened this restaurant and were determined to try it. Our meals were just excellent. I had the brussel spout appetizer with sherry vinegar and capers which was very unique and tasty. The steak au poivre was perfectly cooked and the asparagus side was wonderful with a grilled onion, gruyere and pepper topping. The wait staff was courteous and well trained. I would recommend it to anyone who travels to this area.

• Visited July 2014