“I'll be back!”

Toll House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed at the Toll house as a single 3 times over a few years.The decor of the hotel is very simple with a California Western style, I would not describe it as elegant, but its style is like the town itself, which is upscale and sophisticated without frills. For example, no doorman or porter. My room is always large, and the last one had a nice balcony looking out into the trees. The bathroom was modern, convenient and well lit, Very much appreciated because I have stayed in luxury hotels with dim bathrooms.
The atmosphere at the hotel is comfortable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. The dining room hostess and wait staff couldn't have been more attentive. No stuffy 'airs' at this hotel. I shall definitely stay at the Toll Hoiuse again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Jim G, General Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear nnan from Florida
Thank you very much for the excellent review. You sum up our ambiance well. We hear often how comfortable our rooms are and our bathrooms are awesome. Even as great as our rooms are, I am most excited to hear that your interactions with our staff was so enjoyable. The blending between a great hotel and superior hospitality make the difference. Please let me know when you are returning. I look forward to welcoming you personally.
Thanks again,
Jim Gerney

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I recently stayed here as a last minute spa vacation type trip. Everything was top notch! The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and helped me find exercise classes that were complimentary to hotel guests as well as suggestions for restaurants. The bar was small and cozy and the tall beautiful bartender was so engaging and fun. The rooms were immaculate and my room had a balcony where I could see the town. And, the hotel smelled wonderful, like some kind of herbal forest. The hotel had free parking and I didn't need to use the car as the shops and restaurants and spa services were within walking distance. Just a heavenly experience, I will definitely go back and maybe stay longer next time.

Room Tip: Some rooms have the balcony and that was nice. Others have fireplaces I think. I was on the front...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Jim G, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Donna C
Thanks you for your excellent feedback regarding your stay at the Toll House Hotel. Your comments regarding our staff and service validate what we are all about. Our team is committed to every guest and work very hard to ensure that every experience is memorable. I am delighted you had such a great visit! We look forward to your next “Spa Vacation”.

All the best,
Jim Gerney

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We stayed at The Toll House over Columbus Day weekend.Our primary reason was to attend our nephew's wedding at Hazlwood.We had a wonderful stay.The staff was friendly and courteous especially the hostess of the restaurant and front desk.Our room was lovely, clean and well appointed.And fresh chocolate chip cookies at the front desk whenever you wanted! We highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: we were at the back oh the hotel on second floor..nice and quiet
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 14, 2012

A friend of ours was celebrating her birthday in Los Gatos and we thought it would be fun to stay there overnight even though we live just 20 miles away. Older reviews on TripAdvisor made me weary about the hotel, but newer reviews indicated new management and a major remodeling of the hotel.

We were very happy with both the hotel and our room. New carpeting in the halls and room, the room itself looked brand new, very nice bathroom and a very comfortable bed. The location is also great, as it's a five minute walk to the downtown area. Especially convenient to head out for a big cup of coffee at the Los Gatos Roasting Company.

Overall we were very happy with the hotel, thought the price was a good value, and glad the recent good reviews on TripAdvisor helped us make this choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We frequently stay in Los Gatos but had avoided the Toll House because of horrible service and it was dirty. HOWEVER, we tried it again, 18 months later and to our surprise new management had really turned the hotel around. The staff was friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean. We are going back next month and plan to stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I will start with the positives, then move on to the negative.

The hotel is in a great location. Close to many wonderful shops, restaurants, etc and close to freeways and major roads.
The staff are friendly, helpful and polite.
The rooms are generally nice, comfortable and clean.
The rates are about average, but lean on the high side, even during weekdays.
The food served at the hotel's restaurant is very good
Room service isn't unreasonably expensive.

The downsides:

There is a strong stench of mildew in their parking garage that has not changed in the two years my stays have happened.
There is a sort of 'farty' smell in the lobby, elevator and hallways.
The sink in my room gave off a smell of sewer gas. Very gross, and I ended up using bottled water to brush my teeth/wash my hands.
For those of you who are smokers: Both private balconies attached to rooms and shared patio areas are now, suddenly, non-smoking areas which means you have to schlepp all the way downstairs and sit on a sidewalk bench like a hobo if you want to smoke.
The in-room coffeemakers suck, but they usually do in most hotels.

So in short, if you don't mind some fairly nasty smells, this is not a bad hotel for the money. If you're looking for something unique, fun or 'hip' this place is probably not for you.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the shared patio on the second floor tend to be nicest.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Will F, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2012

Dear Raychelc,

Thank you very much both for your repeat business and for your feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our ideal location, friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and our great restaurant.

I also wanted to let you know regarding your negative feedback, that we share your concerns and are working to remedy them. A new senior management team is in place at Toll House and we are striving to improve every aspect of our guest experience. Some examples include: we have repaired a leaking pipe in the garage that caused the odor you mentioned; we are in the process of replacing old carpet in the hallways, lobby, and elevator; and we are checking all sinks to ensure the traps are working correctly to prevent gas return through the drain pipes.

Again, we are thrilled with your positive feedback and I am confident that your 4th stay will be the best yet as we work to address your negatives.

Best regards,

Will Farrow
Director of Rooms
Toll House

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Nice comfortable Rooms, free wifi, great parking. At most boutique hotels I stay at there is a display of hospitality. Checkin took to long and the desk clerk had to give us a coupon and explain it to us to get a free cup of coffee or water in the restaurant.

Here is a clue, FREE coffee in lobby from 6 am to 9 am. Mostly every expensive hotel, Ritz Carlton does that, to Starwoods Alofts. The office center had a computer system requiring you to scan your credit card to use and if over 15 min there was a fee. I had a 3 min file to email and to check in for a flight, it was so slow they should have paid me to use.

And that gym, it was closed, NOT disclosed when I called for reservation and asked if there was a gym.

We're the people nice at front desk, yes. We're the operations good, yes. Was it priced accordingly...no. Felt like I was nickeled and dimed for gym, office, lack of coffee.

That said, great location, ad parking was free and nice.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
#3 of 75 in San Jose
Saratoga Oaks Lodge
Saratoga Oaks Lodge
#2 of 2 in Saratoga

Been to Toll House Hotel? Share your experiences!