“Worse than a room-by-the-hour joint...”
Review of Toll House Hotel

Toll House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Not that I really know what a room by the hour joint is like, but I can only imagine it is better than this place. I have been here for only two hours, and if the other hotels near here weren't booked, I'd already be gone. I might still move to another hotel that is less conveniently located. After waiting at check-in for someone to "inspect" my room after housekeeping was finished with it, I got my keys and went to the room, only to find hair in the tub and half used amenity bath products. I called the front desk, and they could not have been nicer. They immediately offered to change my room. The second room was much more run down, but at least safer since it was Oman upper floor. Still, the bathroom was not clean, and the amenities were used. This time, I took the used products to the front desk. The attendant apologized, then offered me new bottles, but one had clearly been previously opened since it was indented and resealed. By this time, I had already been awake going on 22 hours due to travel, so I just took it and walked away, frustrated. I'm normally easy going, and thought maybe this is just a bad day for the hotel. When I got back to my room, I called room service so I could eat and then get some sleep. Even though the in -room dining menu said I could order dinner after 3, and when I checked I was told the restaurant opened at 3, the person on the phone said I could not order til after five. I challenged this, and was told the kitchen would call me back, which they did. I ordered a sandwich and a glass of wine. The sandwich was hideous... Flavorless, and not hot, although it was supposed to be a grilled sandwich. The wine came in glass that was filfthy... It had dried. It of paper and who knows what stuck outside and inside the glass. The motel where I usually stay, just down the street, is spotless and half the price. I guess I know why they were sold out. I come to Los gatos twice a year for a conference. I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank A D M
Will F, Manager at Toll House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear A D M,

We always appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences with us and with other travellers on tripadvisor.com. As part of a new senior management team, I want you to know that we take your feedback very seriously and we will use your experience to improve and prevent such experiences from happening to future guests. We also particularly appreciate guests who speak to our managers on-site and provide us with the opportunity to recover from an unfortunate experience before writing a review. As much as we work to eliminate them, mistakes will occur, but we believe it is how we respond that will define us and distinguish us from our competitors. I strongly encourage you to call or write to me to discuss your experience further. I fervently hope for the opportunity to serve you again and to earn back your trust and your business.

Best regards,

Will Farrow
Director of Rooms
Toll House Hotel

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here for two nights during a friend's wedding. Overall, the property was excellent. The location was great, the rooms were clean, modern, and had nice balconies/views. The parking was free, and underground/shaded. They give you a day pass to the rec center which has a decent pool, and workout facilities. The bar/patio area are cozy and the food is fairly priced and tasty. My only real complaint was that checkin took a very long time as they described everything and made you sign waivers for partying and the like. Not a huge deal, and otherwise a fantastic stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

It took us close to 30 minutes to check in with only one person ahead if us in line. I experienced the same upon check out. The Front Desk Clerks were pleasant but very slow. I wasn't sure if this was as a result of the guest room management system.

The rooms are comfortable however are not soundproof. Amenities are small but Are the l'occatine line so quite good.

The restaurant with very friendly staff served me my best cup of tea in California.

You get what you pay for and at $165 per night it was overall fine.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2012

First of all, Los Gatos is one of the most charming towns in the Silicon Valley. It has many chic eateries and boutiques, surrounded by beautifully maintained Victorian homes. Toll House is conveniently located within walking distance to the many restaurants & shops, and close to the major cities (12 miles from San Jose, 21 miles from Santa Cruz, and 54 miles from San Francisco). Our room had a nice balcony that overlooked the courtyard which was perfect for sitting, relaxing, sipping coffee and reading a book on an early summer morning. Our cushioned beds were oh-so-comfy!! The hotel does not have a pool, unfortunately, but from what I've heard, it does have a whirlpool and a small fitness center.
There are 2 reasons for the average rating: 1) My friend had left me a very important envelope at the front desk. However, when the work shift changed, the new clerk had no idea where the envelope was placed. The subpar communication between staff members needs to improve. 2) On the last morning of our stay, there was construction on the floor above us with very loud drilling. For the price of these rooms, really, I expected more...

Room Tip: Choose a room that overlooks the courtyard
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank LilPebs
Reviewed July 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed here while we were attending a friends wedding. A large group from the wedding stayed here. The room was very nice, the air conditioner was a little loud, but the bed was clean and comfy. The bar area is great for a group to hang out and grab a drink or 3 at. They give you really good cookies when you check in, which is always a bonus :) and free, easy parking was a plus.

Perfect for our purposes!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at the Toll House after being horribly disappointed with my original hotel choice in Saratoga. The people at the Toll House were gracious on all accounts, got us the last room in the hotel! (It was a busy wedding weekend!)

Our room was extremely clean and comfortable. Every single encounter with a Hotel employee was terrific, I felt completely at home, and after the bad encounter at the previous hotel, the Toll House was perfect.

We dined in the restaurant frequently during our four-day stay, and enjoyed every minute. The staff in the hotel were warm, friendly, and fun to chat with. The menu was terrific!

We enjoyed sitting around on the patio and reading books, or just relaxing, and the fire-pit was a great touch for a warm summer night. I wish I was there right now!

I don't know what kind of people wrote the other reviews, but I was greatly impressed with the Hotel entirely, and I don't expect to bother staying at any other hotel any time I'm in the area. Every time I passed through the lobby, people at the front desk greeted me, as did anyone else I saw.

The Toll House has lots of surprising and charming touches, from the s'mores boxes for kids at the front desk to the infused water in the lobby, a different one each day.

There's a nice business center right off the lobby, and they have a big selection of movies to borrow. There is a small exercise room, with nice equipment to use (a treadmill, elliptical and hand-weights, etc.)

I had a great time staying at the Toll House, and I would recommend it to anyone who wants a good hotel experience. It's ideally situated in Los Gatos, easy to find, and within easy walking distance of tons of shops, restaurants, the entrance to Highway 17 is right up the street.

It was really quiet there at night, our second night there, someone was drunkenly playing their cello, but it was quickly stopped (within minutes) and never occurred again. I slept soundly with the sliding door open each night. As for the balcony furniture - it's outdoor furniture, it's supposed to be weathered!

I'm traveling through Los Gatos twice this coming September - each time I'll be staying at the Toll House! Wonderful!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor if you want it more quiet, most first floor rooms lead directly to...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank zoltarpanaflex
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed in Los Gatos while attending our sons wedding in the area. We started our trip in San Francisco after arriving from the east coast. While in San Francisco, we stayed at a a motel in the marina area (which we rated 5 stars at half the price). And I wish we had stayed there for our entire trip. We wanted to be closer to the wedding site on the day of the wedding, so decided to stay in Los Gatos at the Toll House Hotel. Very bad decision. The only good thing about the Toll House Hotel was the bathroom. Staff extremely rude, rooms outdated, private patio extremely dirty with tables and chairs that should have been replaced years ago. Didn't find the town very interesting either. We would never stay at the Toll House again or recommend it to anyone. It would have been worth it to make the 1 1/2 hour drive back to San Francisco after the wedding to stay at that wonderful 5 star motel. I guess you don't always get what you pay for!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Rosemary D
Management response:Responded July 3, 2012

Dear Rosemary,
I am so disappointed to hear your stay during your son's wedding was not typical of the level of service we are known for. I appreciate hearing from our guests as your insight will ensure that future guests do not experience product and service deficiencies. We are currently in the process of a renovation and I hope you will afford us another opportunity to share the product upgrades currently taking place. We are delighted your son chose our Town for his wedding and send our sincere congratulations to you and your family. Please don't hesitate to call on me if I can be of further assistance.
Patricia Morreale, General Manager

#3 of 75 in San Jose
Saratoga Oaks Lodge
Saratoga Oaks Lodge
#2 of 2 in Saratoga

Been to Toll House Hotel? Share your experiences!