“Abalone Abalone Abalone!!!!”

Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2018

If you have never had abalone, go to Nick's Next Door. It is so hard to find and so much work to try to prepare at home. Nick's is located a block away from the busy downtown and has a private parking lot, which is handy in Los Gatos. The restaurant is loud, so be prepared. We sat inside (a bit dark for reading the menu at our table), but maybe it is a bit more quiet in their outside seating. Two of us shared the Dungeness Crab Toast - very good, we each ordered the Abalone - it was great, and we also had cauliflower with pork belly as a side dish - very good. We skipped dessert as the above was plenty for us. They had a $25 corkage fee. Most men were dressed casually, with about 10% in sport coats. Service was great. The bread was great as well. I don't give out many 5 star ratings, but this one is deserved.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed February 13, 2018

Its very popular. Excellent place, romantic and super cozy. Incredible service. The flavor is phenomenal! The Rib Eye was close to perfection. Whenever you want an amazing meal with great cocktails, Nick's never lets you down.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 18, 2018

We've been here several times and our experiences have always been good. We were here most recently in late December and were a little frustrated with the service as our waiter was drab, not horribly attentive and didn't cause me to want to provide a tip of more than just the bare minimum. I concur with another reviewer who stated the tables are too close together. Not sure I need everyone in the world over hearing what my dining companions and I are discussing.

The food is always good, the bartenders all make a perfect Manhattan and the wine list is solid. We'll be back but will request a different waiter and a more private table if one exists.

Reviewed January 11, 2018

Great place for dinner! Beautiful ambiance. The tables are a little too close together for my liking however, and the party in the next room was so loud that I couldn't hardly hear my own conversation at our table. Love the food however. Service is great too. I just wish Nick's was in a slightly bigger building where we weren't in such close quarters. Makes the dining experience a little frustrating. Popular place. In the past, I've eaten at the bar in front of the kitchen, and that's fun too. If you are a foodie, you need to try it!

Reviewed January 3, 2018

Great dinner - as usual! Daughter was visiting from Boston and this is her favorite place to have dinner in Los Gatos. Delicious food and great service.