“Great for a Special Night”

Forbes Mill Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Forbes Mill Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 162 Restaurants in Los Gatos
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Royce Ave.
San Jose, California
“Great for a Special Night”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Our favorite place for a special night out. We give it five stars in all areas, decor, service and food.

We went on a Sunday night and the place was busy. It was a good thing we had a reservation. I generally get the prix fixe menu which has a selection of three mini entrees. It is a nice way to try different items from the menu, and saves me from having to make a decision. This time it was a filet, salmon and short ribs, and I always add the wine flight. Each was item better then the next.

My wife had the filet, as always, and she said it was the best she ever had. We even had dessert, which was also very good. It is a little pricey, but we will be back for our next special night out.

• Visited February 2013

San Francisco, California
“A nice neighborhood place”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The food and wine was great, nice selection and variety. The services were very good, our server were very friendly. This is place is more for young adults and adults. Located in a nice downtown area of Los Gatos.

Visited February 2012
San Jose, CA
“Good, but not good enough”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

After a few visits to Forbes Mill Steakhouse, all I can say is that we might go back again.

There is nothing terribly wrong with Forbes Mill Steakhouse. The food and the service are good, even approaching great. But Forbes Mill is an expensive fine dining restaurant surrounded by many other Los Gatos restaurants going after customers with high expectations. I think I'm being charitable by rating Forbes Mill Steakhouse in the middle of the pack. The steaks are good, but not top-tier (our best experience was the night that we ordered seafood: very good!). The decor is pleasant, but the ambient noise is annoying. The servers are friendly and efficient, but mistakes happen too often for this level of dining.

Forbes Mill is attempting to compete with the best fine dining that the Silicon Valley region has to offer. It seems a outdated, like its best days were in the '80s or '90s. A comeback is possible if the management takes a hard look at itself.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Great service”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great friendly service, even during really busy periods. You can take your own wine which is nice and the food is good all round. A little pricey for what it is, but the service makes up for it. I would say just double check if your main comes with sides, I was told my dish didn't so ordered a couple, but it came with a side and we ended up with far too much food. Their passion fruit cheese cake is the best I’ve ever had!

• Visited April 2012
San Jose, California
“Packed and overpriced”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Overpriced and obviously not many veg options (I didn't choose to eat here). Tables were too close together and service was slow.