“It is a nice quiet place for a business lunch or dinner.”
Review of California Cafe - CLOSED

California Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main
Description: Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This is a Restaurant that is not in the "hot spot" restaurants in Los Gatos which I think is great. The Restaurant is like a "traditional" nice place, in a very nice ambiance with the view of the park. It is one of my preferred places when I need to have a business lunch in a quieter environment. the service and food are both great, great fresh salads.

Andre H, General Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your review. I am glad to know that we are your go to spot. Chef Leo and I do try to bring a very fresh and relaxing ambiance to our Guests. Till your next great adventure to see us. Thank you again.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

3½* California Café
Nice ambient setting in Old Town Los Gatos
Wonderful wine selections
Great entrees; my turkey sandwich with sweet potato fries was wonderful as were the fish tacos
Have trio selection where one picks 3 items:
Loved the green garlic fries, crab melt, and chicken salad
Food service was okay

Thank you for review. I am glad to read that you like the Trio's. They are a great option for Guests who want a little of everything or are undecided on there choices. Till your next "mini vacation" from the real world and into ours.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I've dined here several times over the years and often left feeling something was not right. This time I left thinking I may not come back. We had a reservation on a Wed. night and couldn't believe the experience. I don't know if the problem was management or not enough wait staff. The service was non-existing, food was salty and the restrooms were a mess.

Drinks took 30 min. to reach our table, the servers didn't know who had ordered what and there were mistakes with with the drinks ordered. We had to ask for our table water to be refilled. The appetizers were served with no utensils and they forgot to bring enough small plates for everyone at the table. The small plates were cleared in a haphazard manner and eating utensils were not replaced after being removed with the appetizer plates. Dinner took a ridiculously long time to arrive, the table was not cleared in time for the main course. Again the servers had no idea what food went to each guest. The prices were high and the food fashionably skimpy. I had 4 grilled scallops ala-carte for $37, they were tender but overly salty.

A bottle of wine was placed on ice behind the table and no-one came by to refill our glasses. It was assumed that the bottle was consumed because our glasses were left empty. At the end of the night we were asked what to do with the 1/2 bottle left in the ice bucket. We had no idea there was wine in the bottle because it was placed in an area that was not seen easily seen by those of us at the table.

Andre H, Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2013

Hi flowerfun,

I take full responsibility for the last experience you had dining with us. From your drinks taking a ridiculously long time, the lack of refined service, and food that was not prepared correctly that took a long time, we dropped the ball on every level possible and for that I apologize. I would really like for you to join us again and have the experience you truly deserve. If you have an opportunity I would like to speak to you directly about your dinner. If you have a moment please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks & Best Regards

Andre’ Hall

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Enjoyed the food and the dining room. We went during the Friday night rush and were seated promptly (with a reservation) and quickly served. The food was very good -I had the capellini with clams and it was very good but a small portion (we thought it was the smaller lunch serving). Someone else had a burger which was huge (a better option if you're hungry). The short rib was also delicious. It's great that you can bring your own wine!

Andre H, General Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Hi Portagem,

Thank You So Much for the positive feedback. The Cappellini and Clams is one of my favorite dishes on the menu, and the Burger is out of this world. Please know that I have shared your thoughts on the portion size of the cappellini with Executive Chef Leo and will make sure my entire management and chef staff is paying attention to this as well. The next time you are in our house please ask someone to come and get me so I can stop by and Thank you in person.

Best Regards

Andre' Hall

Reviewed December 13, 2013

California Cafe in Los Gatos is a lovely restaurant. We ate inside and the back wall of glass faces trees and some small buildings. There are booths and tables. We had brunch on a Sunday. After waiting for quite awhile (others were already being greeted and served water and bread), we flagged down a server who was quick to assist us. They indicated that they were not our wait server, but now would be. After a little more of a wait, we finally received our coffee. Because we waited for so long, they gave us a complimentary cheese tray which was very good. When our meals arrived they were not that warm. My shrimp omelette had maybe 10 bay shrimp. I've gone to other local cafes who pile in the shrimp. I was surprised at the skimpy portion. Overall flavor was blase. My friend had the short ribs benedict which she said was good. Upon refilling our coffee cups, they poured tea in instead of coffee! Many "oops" situations this time, but the food was not something I would return for.

Hi mops1234,

Thank You for taking the time to give us your review of our restaurant. I apologize that we kept you waiting and that your entire experience was not a great one. The fact that you were not engaged in a timely manner is my fault and I take full responsibility for that. I have addressed with my entire staff that it is extremely important that we do everything we can to immediately acknowledge our guests and that the expediency of our service is paramount. I have shared with Executive Chef Leo Lopez your thoughts on the portions of our dishes and that you didn’t enjoy the flavor profile as well. Please know that my management and chef team truly do care about our guests experience and are very active on the floor. If there is ever an issue with your food, service, or overall experience please ask for one of us to come by your table so we can address the situation before you leave the restaurant.

Sincerely