“Nice Atmosphere, but Meal was Disappointing”
Review of California Cafe - CLOSED

California Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Main
Description: Located in charming Old Town, California Cafe offers an escape from the outside world. We feed the senses - California style - through our chef-driven creations, engaging service, and relaxing ambiance.
Reviewed December 13, 2013

California Cafe in Los Gatos is a lovely restaurant. We ate inside and the back wall of glass faces trees and some small buildings. There are booths and tables. We had brunch on a Sunday. After waiting for quite awhile (others were already being greeted and served water and bread), we flagged down a server who was quick to assist us. They indicated that they were not our wait server, but now would be. After a little more of a wait, we finally received our coffee. Because we waited for so long, they gave us a complimentary cheese tray which was very good. When our meals arrived they were not that warm. My shrimp omelette had maybe 10 bay shrimp. I've gone to other local cafes who pile in the shrimp. I was surprised at the skimpy portion. Overall flavor was blase. My friend had the short ribs benedict which she said was good. Upon refilling our coffee cups, they poured tea in instead of coffee! Many "oops" situations this time, but the food was not something I would return for.

Andre H, General Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Hi mops1234,

Thank You for taking the time to give us your review of our restaurant. I apologize that we kept you waiting and that your entire experience was not a great one. The fact that you were not engaged in a timely manner is my fault and I take full responsibility for that. I have addressed with my entire staff that it is extremely important that we do everything we can to immediately acknowledge our guests and that the expediency of our service is paramount. I have shared with Executive Chef Leo Lopez your thoughts on the portions of our dishes and that you didn’t enjoy the flavor profile as well. Please know that my management and chef team truly do care about our guests experience and are very active on the floor. If there is ever an issue with your food, service, or overall experience please ask for one of us to come by your table so we can address the situation before you leave the restaurant.

Sincerely

andrehall@californiacafe.com
M 408.230.5457
D 408.354.8118

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Went to CA for dinner. Ordered a nice rib-eye, cooked perfectly. Also had a nice amber ale before my meal. I was a little taken aback that no sides were included. Just fried onions on the steak. I just assumed there'd be some potatoes or something? I don't believe that should be an add on, but in the restaurant's defenseI suppose I needed to read the menu more clearly. I don't believe that sides should be an add on, but that's just me.

The service however was very good for our entire party. No sides is sort of why I can't say this restaurant is above average. Doesn't feel like you're getting your money's worth. I don't know of any other restaurant of this class that doesn't include any side dishes with the main course.

Hi Andy,

I apologize for not responding to your review in a more timely fashion. Thanks for giving us your thoughts on the Choice section of our Dinner Menu. This is a section that we added a few years ago to give our guests an a la carte option when dining with us for dinner. We found that not every guest enjoyed the particular accompaniment listed with our entrée and that some guests were happy to have a dish at a great value that offered just the right portion size. When we did this we also offered a section of dinner sides just below in case guests wanted to add a starch or vegetable to their meal to compliment their dish. I’m extremely happy that your party enjoyed our service and look forward to you joining us again.

Best Regards

andrehall@californiacafe.com
M 408.230.5457
D 408.354.8118

Reviewed November 4, 2013

There are a ton of good restaurants in Los Gatos, and while California Cafe isn't one of the rock stars (e,g, Manresa), it has good food, prompt service and reasonable prices in a comfortable setting. Located in a mall built around an old schoolhouse, the restaurant is spacious, quiet, and could pass for elegant. The food ranges from pasta to pizza to the usual meat entrees, moderate prices and good quality. We shared a fried calamri appetizer that was knockout, best eaten with chopsticks, with lots of cashews and a tasty chipotle sauce.The spouse had clam pasta, which was creamy and mild-tasting, but she would've preferred something more savory. I had a wild mushroom pizza, which had great flavor, but could've done without the sprinkling of sea salt the cook obviously added before serving. Service was enthusiastic and well-timed.

Andre H, General Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Dear Steve,
We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us at California Cafe. I am glad that you liked the calamari and the clam pasta and I will definitely let our Executive Chef Leo know of your opinion on the pizza. On your next visit, please let me know so that i may stop by and say thank you in person.

Andre Hall

Reviewed October 17, 2013

California Cafe is one of my musts when in the Silicon Valley. Delicious seasonal menus combined with top-notch, friendly service make for a wonderful dining experience. Their wine list is amazing and it is easy to enjoy tasting new offerings before committing to a bottle or two. Family friendly, business friendly, date friendly, they do it all well.

Andre H, General Manager at California Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear Forhandr,

Thank you for coming to California Cafe when you are visiting from Columbus and thank you for the kind words. Please know that I have shared your thoughts with our entire Tribe and they greatly appreciate your support. Please let Chef Leo & I know when you join us again so we can stop by and introduce ourselves and thank you in person.

Much Appreciation

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We have been to California Cafe a number of times over the years and it has been generally very good. This year we have attended two business lunches in one of their reserved rooms. Unlike, most large group restaurant meetings, the service at California Cafe was over the top wonderful.
The food was very good and included four choices, steak, fish, chicken and vegetarian pasta. The food was brought to the table hot and as ordered, water and other drinks were replenished as needed. The dessert was a delicious and fun trilogy ended the meal.

Dear Angela Gloria,

Thank you for taking the time to send us a review. I'm glad that our service and food were such a hit with your event. We try to make sure that our events are always wonderful and living up to the expectations of the guests. We hope to see you again soon for your next business lunch. Please let us know the next time you stop by because I would like to thank you in person.

Andre Hall