“Not nearly as scary, so much more fun - Try it!”

Treks and Tracks Rock Climbing Castle Rock State Park
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I took my 11 & 13 year old boys for the beginner rock climbing class at Malibu Creek State Park. Our guide Reed was great and helped everyone feel comfortable. We all had a great time and ended up doing several runs on the big side of the mountain up about 30+ feet. So much more fun and less scary that I thought it would be. Everyone felt very secure on the ropes and no one even came close to getting hurt. I'd highly recommend giving it a go!

I saw some reviews complaining about shoe sizes, not having enough etc. My kids had to share shoes with some other participates but switching shoes was very easy. It would be nice if there were a few less people - we were a bit rushed at the end to get in a final climb which I had to wait over an hour for.

We left all saying we wanted to go again.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I've done two beginning rock climbing courses in the bay area. With one group, there were 6 of us with one instructor and two ropes. We were taught how to belay and how to back up the person on belay and throughout an afternoon we were able to climb until we couldn't climb anymore.

With Treks and Tracks, there were 11 of us with 2 guides and only two ropes. We got in two climbs each for the whole morning. And apparently the two climbs per person is their goal because once we all got in two climbs they ended earlier than they said they would. It wasn't worth the trip. The Treks and Tracks guides apparently have to be on belay (or supervising the student on belay) for insurance reasons so they can't just set up multiple ropes and let their students climb & belay each other.

If you've never climbed before, are relatively out of shape and want to hang out by the wall for an afternoon or morning these people are great - but if you are in decent shape or have climbed indoors and want to try things out outside you should look for a group with a better set up. (Again, the guides were awesome the experience was just constrained by their company policies)

1  Thank J L
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Would definitely book another rock climbing lesson/trip with this company.

Took advantage of their Groupon offer. It was very easy to book online and we received an e-mail closer to the date with all the details of where/when.

The rock climbing was a great experience. Daniel was very good at explaining the basics of rock climbing and gave good tips to allow everyone in our group of 8 climbers to have success in getting to the top.

The area of Castle Rock State Park is a short hike from the parking lot. They set up 2 climbing ropes so each person was able to do 2 climbs. I'd love to attempt this beginner class again at their other climbing location for a different experience.

They had all the gear for you (shoes, harness and helmet) but be sure to have a somewhat empty backpack so you can put all the gear in for the hike to and from the climbing rock.

If you're looking for a great way to spend a morning outdoors in a beautiful location you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Our Treks and Tracks guides were fabulous! They were incredibly knowledgeable and skilled, super nice and friendly, and very helpful in instructing me about rock climbing. I had a great experience and would definitely go back. Also, they provided all of the gear, including shoes, which was great.

Reviewed June 5, 2012

Some friends and I went climbing with Treks and Tracks last weekend at Castle Rock State Park. Overall it was an amazing experience. I've climbed once before in a gym, so was worried about my lack of experience, but the level of instruction was perfect. Climbing on real rock was nothing like indoor climbing and was completely inspiring. Our whole group dug the trip. Castle Rock is a gorgeous place to spend an afternoon. I'll probably try and do it again if I'm ever in California again!