“Feel bad to be disappointed”

Hotel Los Gatos - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Chicago, IL
“Feel bad to be disappointed”
Reviewed July 29, 2008

My husband and I booked this hotel after first hand recommendation and numerous reviews on Tripadvisor. I may have had overly high expectations, but I kinda do when I pay a lot for a room. We travel a lot and try not to take a single error or oddity and turn it into a bigger deal. But my experience at this hotel left me a little raw and I feel bad that I was so disappointed.

First, the hotel would not allow my husband to check in without me since the room was in my name. Luckily, I was 10 minutes behind him. Second, the first room we got was above the bar, which was fine when we checked in, but was extremely loud at night. We could not sleep. Then the breakfast staff began setting up at 6 am, which woke us up when we finally fell asleep. I complained the next morning and was told the hotel was booked and they would know later if there was anything they could do. I was not happy with the response, but they did end up moving us. Room 119 was so much quieter and we could relax. Lastly, when I checked out, there was a $300 restaurant charge to my room which was not ours. After showing the Front Desk that our dinner bill was paid by VISA and was far less than $300, proving the charge was not ours, he still would not take the charge off the bill. The restaurant called me the next day and said another women had charged her meal to our room stating we were all part of a "group". Well, I was not part of a "group", it was just me and my husband. Even though he understood I did not know the woman who billed her charge to my room, he would not take the charge off my bill. It took several conversations with the hotel to correct the issue.
Pros: Interesting grounds, good location, nice size bathroom and room, nice restaurant on property (a little pricey). Cons: rooms above the bar can be loud at night, pool is small and loud if children are around, front desk customer service could be improved

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lexus22

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 15, 2008

Very nice hotel in a a perfect location, very close to downtown Los Gatos. Room was OK although a bit on the small side. Everybody was helpful and nice.

Only downside: breakfast.
Scarce and of poor quality; person attending not that helpful, plus the area is depressing: it is under a valuted courtyard adjacent the parking lot; not that much of a sight!

The feeling we had is that it mainly attends to the needs of rushing businessmen not of laid-back tourists who'd like to enjoy a relaxed breakfast in a nice surrounding!

As the place has so many beautiful spots they should rethink it.

It would make the place perfect!

• Liked — Architecture
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank vanderluyden
Denver, CO
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Pro's:
Great service
Amazing on site restaurant
Beautifully manicured grounds
Nicely appointed and comfortable rooms
Better than average continental breakfast
5 minute walk to downtown
Free internet service with printer access in the lobby

Cons:
Small pool that can by noisy with kids
No pool side service
No bar/food service during the day (must use minibar)

• Liked — The onsite restaurant
  • Disliked — No access to food or beverages during the day
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank TR-Den
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed June 10, 2008

I am surprised at the many exceptionally positive reviews here. My new husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in May 2008, including our honeymoon night. We stayed in one of the premium king suites and the room was gorgeous, no question. I took many of my "getting ready" bridal party shots here and they are stunning. The decor, balconies, large jet bathtub, and furnishings are suburb-- but honestly not worth the $560+/night. I have stayed in luxurious hotels around the world for half this price.

Service was mediocre at best, not too friendly or helpful. Did not go out of their way at all. Breakfast buffet was terrible! Again, very cheap, basic food. Not at all adequate for the amount of money you spend or the "high end" look and feel they are trying to project.

Also- I had a Lomi Lomi massage at the Preston Wynne spa the morning after the wedding. Again-- very mediocre. Nothing special for the price.

Overall-- beautiful king suite, stunning room. But service, price, food and amenities very disappointing for the money.

• Liked — Gorgeous decor and layout in the premium king suite, stunning for wedding pics. Staff put rose petals in room for us to return on on wedding night.
  • Disliked — Not worth the high prices. Overall poor service for the money. Absolutely terrible breakfast buffet. Spa mediocre.
2 Thank Clemens-gal
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 26, 2008

Found a great deal on the website and couldn't have been happier with our stay at the Hotel Los Gatos. They'd accidentally put us in a handicapped room, but changed it and upgraded it in the process when the error was noted at check in. Big, luxurious bathrooms, multiple balconies, the cooler by the pool full of branded water. If you were really looking for something, I can say that I would have expected the breakfast bar to have been refreshed when we arrived at 9:15, since it doesn't close until 10am. There was very little fruit left. It was nice to have the breakfast available on the patio.

Dinner at the hotel restaurant, Dio Deka, was very good, and the service impeccable. During my hour at the pool, the staff came by several times to ensure clean towels were available and pick up the soiled ones. Was pleasantly surprised to learn that parking was free. The location was close enough to the square that we enjoyed walking to the Farmer's Market on Sunday morning. We'll be back!

• Liked — location, pleasant staff
  • Disliked — breakfast bar needed attention
1 Thank NJtoSF
California
Reviewed May 16, 2008

I reserved by phone on Thursday for the next Sunday night; however a reservation clerk made it for Saturday instead. When I showed up on Sunday; I was billed as a 'no show' for the previous evening. The hotel desk clerk acknowledged an error and found me a room in the mostly empty hotel. Since then I've been billed for two nights instead of the one. To cap things off, the fire alarm mistakenly sounded twice during the wee hours of Monday morning waking everyone up and sending people scrambling into the hallways. I won't return to this hotel.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank SOSCA
Alameda, California
Reviewed May 12, 2008

We stayed here as a quick overnight weekend getaway to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It turned out to be an excellent choice. Everything was done well, from the valet parking of our car (not really needed, but a nice touch), to check in, etc. The lobby is very inviting, and, since we were early and the guy at the desk had to make sure our room was ready, they immediately offered us a bottle of water and invited us to relax in the lobby. Two minutes later (at most) everything was ready.

Our room was very nice - spotlessly clean, comfortable, overlooking the courtyard below (the outdoor seating area of the Dio Deka bar, as well as the breakfast area).

We actually chose this hotel, in part, because of the attached restaurant - the food was excellent and service fantastic. We went for a walk up in the hills behind the hotel after dinner.

There was a wedding reception at the hotel that evening, so there was some noise, but our room was soundproof enough that it didn't bother us.

There is an option to have the continental breakfast delivered to your room for $5 per person, which we did - it was nice to relax in our own room and eat the very tasty light breakfast.

The check out process was easy, the staff was very friendly - heck, we'll come back for sure!

• Liked — Luxurious atmosphere
  • Disliked — TV channels, but we can watch TV at home
1 Thank BowlderMan
#3 of 75 in San Jose
Bristol Hotel
Bristol Hotel
#4 of 9 in Campbell

Been to Hotel Los Gatos - A Greystone Hotel? Share your experiences!