“Worth a visit to the winery”
Review of Testarossa

Testarossa
Ranked #3 of 29 things to do in Los Gatos
San Jose, California
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Worth a visit to the winery”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

The Testarossa Winery is one of the better Pinot Noir wineries in the Santa Cruz Mountain area. It is easy to get there, plenty of parking, and the special treat is the grounds and entrance through the cave into the tasting room. The winery is on the grounds of the former Novitiate Monastery. A park like setting awaits you with plenty of outdoor tables to enjoy a bottle and a snack. There is also a wine bar outside which serves simple faire on the weekends.

Visited December 2012

San Jose, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“We support it, but it could be a lot better.”
Reviewed November 22, 2012

It's a nice spot to get out of the house and visit. But we support the place mostly because it's local, tho with that comes mingling with the Los Gatos locals, which could give a woodpecker a headache.

The staff is great, the location is pretty and the outside patio has a nice view. I think the group they do food with does an outstanding job...not cheap, but well presented, and always high quality.

I think the wine is above average. The tasting room seems like a morgue, and has a horrible loop film running all the time (there goes the green tractor with the grapes again) Some of the wines are named after the owners family, which I find creepy and feel sorry for them.

I'm glad the place is there, and will continue to buy their hooch...but would like to see a Zinn, a port (style), I would be proud of them if they stopped using corks, I would like if they had more creative stuff..art, labels prints (like Randall Grahm)

And what I really wish is that they would make a beer. The beer in the south bay is crap) Play the monk card and do something interesting for a change.

Visited November 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experince on a Sunday Afternoon”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We visited the Testarossa winery with friends on Sunday, November 11, 2012. The drive up to it, a short 2-3 minute drive from downtown Los Gatos is very scenic. There are two options, a formal tasting room and an outdoor win bar called 'Wine Bar 107' that is only open on weekends.

We opted for the Wine Bar in lieu of the more typical tasting room experience. We snagged a great outdoor seat next to a little heater They had a menu of several of their wines by the bottle and by the glass, and they had some really nice appetizers to compliment the wine. The bottles that we chose were a white @ $32 and a red @ $59. We also ordered a cheese plate @ $15 and some pork sliders @ $16. I thought that the portions on the food, particularly the cheese plate were well worth the cost and very high quality.

The wine was great - more than I would normally pay for a bottle, but the ambiance was impossible to beat, and we had an afternoon with nothing that we needed to do. After we were done, we did walk around the gift shop area a little and the tasting room, which also looked really, really nice.

If you are in the Los Gatos area, and want to do a wine tour without driving all the way out to Sonoma or Napa, I highly, highly recommend this location- we were very pleased with our day.

Visited November 2012
Bay Area California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“nice place for medium group dining adventure”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

nice place for fancy meal with emphasis on local wines. kind of out-of-the way, on the grounds of an operating catholic monastery with legitimate historical significance to the southern reaches of Silicon Valley (AKA the Valley of Heart's Delight).

Atlanta, Georgia
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Interesting place.”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We did not taste here. We were with someone who knew all about the history. The owners are an asset to the community. I will go back when I have more time to taste.

Visited October 2012