“Good, only 1 thing...Heater..If you don't need to use heat, it's great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Garden Inn Hotel

Garden Inn Hotel
Garden Inn Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Los Gatos
Pasadena, California
“Good, only 1 thing...Heater..If you don't need to use heat, it's great.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

This place is great in every way, the only reason I had to give it 3 stars was their bad choice in heating systems..a salesperson did a number on the hotel I think. The heater that is built into the wall has a remote. It's awful. We had to be trained on how to use it. You can enter a tempature in, and turn it on, unfortunetly, the room gets way too hot because the "Auto" does not work-you can only use Medium or High, so it runs constantly. We had the heater on and the bathroom window open all night to keep it tolerable in the room. It's probably much better to stay here in the summer when you don't have to fool around with the heater-it was about 38 degrees the night we stayed and could never get "the balance". Other than the heater, I liked the price of $108/night, the desk, fridge, micro, coffee maker, bathroom, closet, flat screen (need more channels please-Direct TV pretty limited!) and parking was easy. The bed was decent, not a featherbed but good and comfy. Staff friendly. Lots of coffee options in the lobby, Keurig and Nespresso..nice touch. It's a motel with very clean rooms--don't expect the Ritz, a pool or a bar, but a nice sleeping room with modern conveniences and in an extremely desirable location in the village. You can walk to trails, stores, cafes and restaurants..everything is right at your fingertips. I would highly recommend if you don't need the heat on.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travellingbuddymel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
the west
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2010

This is a one story small motel located on a slope with most of the units situated around a courtyard featuring tables shaded by umbrellas. While we were there it was very quiet at night and although noise was occasionally heard between rooms, during our stay the other guests were not loud and this did not pose a problem. We rented a suite with a kitchen and it was well-proportioned with an adequate kitchen and bathroom. Access is through locked gates to the courtyard and doors to the units. A main advantage is the central location and there are probably 25 restaurants and numerous shops within a 1 - 15 minute walk. There was a farmers market in the park at W. Main and Santa Cruz on Sunday morning. There was also a jazz concert in this park on a Wednesday evening.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thewestxyz
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

We were in Los Gatos for a wedding of a friend. We fell in love with the twon. The Garden Inn has a fantastic location. They offer free Nespresso coffee and free fresh fruit, juice and danishes all day long. Also for 99 dollars a night nit pricey. The rooms were not very big, but it was clean, and the bathroom was great. I do agree with other posts that the walls are very thin. We woke up from our neighbors snoring....but otherwise I would defo stay here again. Also very helpfull people t the front desk. They even looked up thngs for us on internet andbrought the print outs to our room.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cheryl1982
Romsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2010

Los Gatos is a great place to stay when on business in the San Jose area - but the Garden Inn is not the best place in Los Gatos. Inexpensive, yes, but you get what you pay for.

Let's be clear - this is a motel, plain and simple. The rooms are an OK size and there is at least a proper desk for doing work. Wireless internet did not work, but the Ethernet connection next to the desk was fine - and was free.

The bathroom was small and well past its best - peeling paintwork and basic facilities only.

There are no facilities for food at the motel. On the plus side, there is an excellent diner - the Southern Kitchen - right across the road, which opens for breakfast at 06:00, For evening dining, Los Gatos is your oyster and there is plenty on offer within walking distance at all price levels. I can recommend the brew pub - excellent beer and good well-priced food.

Next time I'll stay at the Toll House, which I was unable to use for this trip as my booking was a late one and they were full...

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Inglenook
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2009

This hotel has a great location and great rates. The rooms, although very small were very clean. The bathroom is ridiculously small. You have to have your legs off to the side when sitting on the commode. The shower was small, dark, & had mildew / mold stains in the ceiling. The staff were friendly. They had great coffee / teas available whenever the office is open. We had two rooms, one with two twin beds and one with a Queen. The heat did not work in one of the rooms, even after letting the office know. We were there in December and it was quite cold at night. However, you can't beat the location. It is an easy walk to everything in downtown Los Gatos. We supposedly had access to the Los Gatos Fitness Center, but we did not have time to check this out.

As long as you go in expecting a very small, quaint room, you will be fine. Don't look for or expect an updated large room with the typical amenities you find in chain hotels and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

I stayed here for six weeks and stayed in the suite that had a kitchenette.

Good:
Hotel has a fantastic location that is in walking distance to downtown Los Gatos.

The housekeeping service is great, they even on many occasions cleaned my dishes.

The HD DirecTV is pretty nice. You even have access to all the premium channels such as HBO and Cinemax.

It's nice to be able to use my assigned room PIN number on the keypad to access my room instead of the usual hotel key.

There are security cameras everywhere so you feel safe.

Bad:
The walls are EXTREMELY thin. You can hear the neighbor's TV on BOTH sides of the room from your neighbors. If it's not the TV, I have heard every night my neighbor's snoring and even the occasional passing of gas. I kid you not.

The towels can sometimes be dirty. I have to check my towels before I use them to make sure they appear clean. I have previously found "clean" towels that had someone else's makeup on it or some other unidentifiable stain.

The bed and pillows are very uncomfortable. Since these are the beds that can be folded up into the wall, I assume they must use cheaper mattresses. The pillows feel like they are filled with newspaper.

The "free continental breakfast" is literally just some bananas and coffee at the lobby.

The parking lot is very small and some of the parking spots require you to have to do drive further into the parking lot in order to just come back out. The spots are also smaller so expect door dings on your car as I have on three occasions during my stay.

The wireless high speed internet connection never worked. The receptionist at the front desk told me that it had been down for several weeks. I was fortunately able to use the LAN cable inside the room instead but the DSL access is unfortunately so slow it was difficult to get any work done in my room.

The closet was literally only two feet wide with only 5 clothes hangers. I did not understand how a room that is for people with an extended stay have a closet so incredibly small -- and this is coming from a guy who didn't hardly bring any clothes to begin with.

I travel several times a year for business and have stayed in a wide range of hotels. This is easily one of the worst places I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at many "bargain" hotels that were nicer than this in terms of quality of the room.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank blueshouse
Newbury Park, cA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2009

THE GOOD:
-Location
-Price
-House Cleaning
-Good price for room
-Nice TV

THE BAD:
-Small and tired room
-Possible bed bugs?
-Small and diffucult parking
-No AIr conditioning all five nights we stayed. Room hot even when we left air on constantl.y.
-Stained bedding although they replaced upon request

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
#3 of 9 in Campbell
The Inn at Saratoga
The Inn at Saratoga
#1 of 2 in Saratoga

Been to Garden Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!