“Tough steak”

Wool Growers Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 63 Restaurants in Los Banos
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: Traditional French Basque cuisine, and full bar. This restaurant was established since 1890 and continues serving great food in a family style atmosphere, A walk back in time.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

We have been to this restaurant many times and have had great food and service in the past. But this time we did not have our usual waitress. My daughter and I just ordered the side dishes, no main entree, but my husband and son ordered the steak. Wool Growers allows you to have as much of the side dishes as you want. When we were seated the restaurant was fairly empty. This is a family style restaurant where everyone is seated at long tables. People were seated right next to us which was fine, but because of the lack of room, our waitress kept wanting to remove the side dishes for the next side dish. I found that annoying because that was what my daughter and I were still working on. According to my son and husband, the steak was very tough. In the past, the steak was a lot better. Also it was Tuesday so we were offered pigs feet. My family loves pigs feet. Not me. But my daughter was in heaven. And she did order more of that. Also nice touch was they played the Happy Birthday Song for my daughter, since this was her birthday. Nice touch with a candle in the ice cream.

There are newer reviews for Wool Growers Restaurant

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We really like this place. Don't miss it!
The meal starts with a basket of bread, a pot of very good soup, and a carafe of red wine. They then brought a big bowl of very well seasoned beans. Next came a big bowl of salad which was OK, and a plate of potato salad which wasn't very good. The best was yet to come - A big bowel of very tasty lamb stew, and then for us 3 big well seasoned lamb chops.

We really enjoyed our evening there, and it is very affordable - no credit cards allowed.

2  Thank BillPom
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Never would have expected the amazing meal at lunch in this unassuming restaurant in Los Banos. French Basque cuisine. Decent red wine on the table, more than ample quantities of starters - salad, soup, beans and lamb stew. And then a large entree (we had chicken and lamb shank). The fries were ordinary but who needed them after the other food. One of our fellow diners routinely just eats the starters for a filing meal and takes the entree home. The lamb stew is made with breast of lamb which gives an awesome flavor. And all for what I thought was a very fair price. Oh, and ask the waitress if they have some chocolate syrup for the little cup of vanilla ice cream dessert. Be on time, lunch seating stops promptly at 2 PM.

1  Thank ReyNardG
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Family style, excellent and plentiful food. You must sample the lamb stew which is one of the appetizers. We had steaks - excellent. Wish we did not live that far away. We will definetly recommend it to our friends who travel North.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

First time ever there, we will return!!! More food than you can eat. They keeping bring yummy dishes to share family style, and you pick your meat, steak, prime rib, lamb, and many other choices.