“Not good -----Great”

Wool Growers Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 64 Restaurants in Los Banos
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Traditional French Basque cuisine, and full bar. This restaurant was established since 1890 and continues serving great food in a family style atmosphere, A walk back in time.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We travel from British Columbia to Baja in Sept and return to B.C. in April. We arrange our days on the road to coincide with the time dinner is being served in both directions. We enjoy the great food ,both in selection, quality and quantity. Just wished we lived nearer. Never ever left the W.G . hungry and without a doggy bag.. Got to love desserts. I haven't seen a Dixie ice cream cup and wooden spoon since I was a youngster. Looking forward to this years trip, mainly because of our stop in Los Banos Wool Growers on H Street.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Get some friends together (this is not a "dinner for two" place), put on your "open to something different" hats, and check this place out. You sit down at long tables with red and white checkered vinyl tablecloths- very possibly you will be sharing a table with another dinnner party. Dinner starts wtih a basket of fresh bread and a carafe of a light bodied but refreshing "table red" wine. In short order you will be served a big tureen of a minestrone-style (although the cooking is French Basque, not Italian, so it's not quite minnestrone) soup that is delicious, a crisp green salad with a light creamy lemon dressing, potato salad and a platter of well-seasoned baked beans- provencal style, not BBQ. Then a bowl of simply indcredible lamb stew. All of this arrives famnily style for your party to help themselves, and there is more than enough. Then the entree comes (!); a choice of a generous NY Strip Steak, 2 pork chops (my favorite), roast chicken, lamb chops (my other favorite) or prime rib. I took home one of my pork chops and each of my 3 companions took home half their NY Strip. The food is very very good, with the flavors leaning towards French country- herbs de provence, etc. They absolutely do not scrimp on quality ingedients to provide quantity, although the servings are also very generous. Amazingly, this is all offered at $20 per person, which includes a carafe of wine for each 4 people. Additional carafes are available for $7. One of my friends has been coming here since she was a kid (we're in our 50s now) and says it hasn't changed one bit over the years. I hope they never change!

1  Thank Steven C
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Heard of this place and it reminded me of another 'family style' eating place in Samoa, CA. You walk into a VERY family style place...long tables with checkered tablecloths and cmiling customers. Our waitress explained the concept, told us the options for the 'meat' of the meal and said everything else is included in the price ($20 dinner). Meat options: Pork Chops (2 HUGE pieces...a little dry) NY Steak (12zo)....but NO strong seasons...just plain delicious meat. Tri-tip, prime rib and I think either a chicken or lamb option? NOW...for the meal...bread, butter, veggie soup, pinto beans, potato salad, green salad (as for dressing on the side or it will be SWIMMING in it) then a HEARTY lamb stew...before your meat arrives.
I might be forgetting something else...there was so much to enjoy. OH Yes! the wine...a bottle (red) comes with the meal. We do not partake...so they brought a pitcher of water for us (soda is purchased at the bar only). All of the food was delicious and worth the drive and PRICE! I would def go back for a meal...when I have more people to share in the family atmosphere (2 is not bad...small table barely held all the food). Only thing NOT great...cash only environment. Don't forget to tip, they really are working fast to bring you food and (as we could see from the other tables) MORE food! Definately worth a visit if you are passing through town or staying in Santa Nella for the night...only 15 min away!

Reviewed July 9, 2013

this is a very unique restaurant have been eating here since the sixties whenever I pass through town. try it youll like it.....

Reviewed June 22, 2013

On my way home from Medford, Oregon, I drove like a Mad Man to eat dinner here before they closed for the night.
Important things to know:
1) Cash Only!
2) They close at 8:30 PM!
This was the only restaurant that I planned on eating at on my vacation. My wife was afraid that I wasn't going to make it before they closed as we had stopped to see her sister in Sacramento.
A great value price wise and a fun place to eat at the family style tables.
An outstanding Basque Restaurant! Probably my favorite Basque Restaurant.