“Hurrah for Hollywood”
Review of Los Angeles

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighborhoods
Neighborhoods
Cornwall,UK.
73 helpful votes
“Hurrah for Hollywood”
Reviewed May 11, 2006

Husband and I spent one week divided between Hollywood and Los Angeles, and San Francisco. Easily got a shuttle from LA Airport to the Magic Castle Hotel, which we would thoroughly recommend. It is a small very friendly hotel about five minutes walking from Hollywood Boulevard. Rooms are a reasonable size, the shower was excellent, and a continental breakfast was included which you could eat poolside. But the best thing about the hotel was its closeness to the Boulevard area and its friendly atmosphere.
Good places to eat - try the California Pizza Kitchen, just by the stone casting couch in the Hollywood and Highland complex. Also good The Pig n Whistle and Mel's Diner - as in American Graffiti with a juke box playing 60s music. Food not brilliant here but good atmosphere. The Boulevard is great fun with various characters parading around - Elvis and Marilyn not to mention Chucky and Predator, and the stars in the pavement seem to go for miles. Had to try out Johnny Deppe's hands and feet outside the Chinese Theatre.
We did not have a car or go on any organised trips. Public transport is excellent you just need to know which bus number you need and which direction you are going in. Also the underground goes out to Universal. There are day passes for $3 which you can use on the trains or buses. Going on public transport is safe and gives you a view of the city that you would not see trapped in a car. People were really friendly.
Universal Studios - vital you get the front of the line passes. But the VIP tour is not really worth the money. Warner Bros. is much better if you are really interested in movie making as I am. Universal is purely for the fun factor and the rides. We just turned up at the Warner Bros studio and only had to wait an hour before getting on a tour. Did you know the swamp in Invasion is only the size of a duck pond - amazing! It is a working studio so there is a real risk of seeing stars, directors, etc. The day we were there Ray Harryhausen was signing books - a legend, and Clint Eastwood was directing his latest film. The route back to Hollywood on bus no. 2 took us along the whole of Sunset Boulevard and the Strip - looking a bit rundown. You need really to do both studios - Universal for the fun and rides and Warner for a real look at a working studio.
The Getty Centre is well worth a trip - incredible location and architecture and the views of LA are superb. Venice Beach, also reachable by bus from Hollywood, is definitely a bit tacky, but is worth the effort. Look out for an amazing book shop tucked away behind one of the larger walkway restaurants. Lot of homeless people here but they don't bother the tourists.
Ripley's Museum - a mix of funny and gross. There is a one as well in San Francisco.
I loved Hollywood, but then I teach film studies so maybe I was a bit biased. We got a shuttle from the hotel to the aiport and flew to San Francisco on an internal flight with Alaskan Airlines. Want to know more, then log into San Francisco!

15 Thank Cornishkat
The Netherlands
16 helpful votes
“See Hollywood if you can”
Reviewed April 29, 2006

Last year(2005) I stayed in the HEART of Hollywood.
A block away from The Hollywood and Highland area, I stayed in the Holiday Inn
hotel. Just 10 minutes away from the shops on Hollywoodboulevard.
If you like to eat BREAKFAST on ANY minute of the day, go to SHELLY"s CAFE
across the street from THE ROOSEVELT hotel.
It is CHEAP, but verry friendly and GOOD!!!
There are MANY daytour oppertunities so see it all,take the double-decker bustour
Maybe you can even see a (movie)star or taping of a movie!

In 1989 I saw RICHARD GERE,NANCY TRAVIS and ANDY GARCIA
while they were taping INTERNAL AFFAIRS.
It happens in FRONT of the Roosevelthotel!
Or be on time to see that a star receives a star on the WALK OF FAME.
In 2002 I saw in a quick moment Michael Bolton receiving his star!

ina komdeur
The Netherlands

4 Thank baloobeer
Los Angeles CA
22 helpful votes
“Beaches, beaches, beaches”
Reviewed April 28, 2006

I live in LA and seldom go to the South Bay beaches because...they are too crowded, too dirty, often closed (pollution) et al. My friends and I go to Zuma Beach, Ventura Beach and some of the other Ventura County beaches where there are broad reaches of beach and lots of room to spread out and enjoy. Not the places for crusing singles. One of the most fun areas is Laguna Beach and Newport Beach, where we often overnight. BUT if you are used to the Atlantic Ocean, you'll find the water here very very cold.

LA is not Hollywood. LA is a wonderful bustling big city with lots to do and see and where people just like you live and work and raise families. Check out the city web site and you'll find more things to do than you have time for.

Miami
“Loved Los Angeles”
Reviewed January 19, 2006

I really loved the time I spend with my family in California! From Rodeo Drive to the Hollywood Sign, It was all amazing!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Weekend Trip across the country”
Reviewed January 9, 2006

We won a trip to Hollywood, California to go see the Eagles. We stayed at a hotel that was relatively close to Hollywood Blvd. We mostly stayed around there, as we are not very good at navigating cities that we do not know very well.
The five or ten minute walk made such a difference. Our hotel was on a busy road where not a lot of attractions were. Once we hit Hollywood Blvd, we saw so many new and exciting things! I could see the HOLLYWOOD sign from this amazing area set up with many levels of shops.
The trip was amazing. I wish we could have stayed longer and explored more things.

Been to Los Angeles? Share your experiences!