“Loud, slow service, expensive = dreadful”
Review of Osteria Mozza

Osteria Mozza
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria Mozza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #110 of 9,978 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: Highland Avenue
Hell, Norway
“Loud, slow service, expensive = dreadful”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm in the minority evidently - and I have no idea who Mario Batali is - but Osteria Mozza is one of the worst restaurants I have ever been to. You can buy into the hype (of which I was also ignorant) and pretend that you are enjoying this place even while being ripped off mightily. Or you can easily find plenty of restaurants where customer care and atmosphere have not been kicked to the curb.

The bad vibe begins as soon as you walk into Osteria Mozza from the relative calm of Highland and Melrose. It's like walking straight into the blast of a jet engine. This place is painfully loud, killing all chance of substantial conversation.

The menus arrived quickly, but it took more than 15 minutes for the friendly waiter to take our order. The food was also a long time coming. In the meantime, another waiter carrying a tray of sliced bread around the venue gave us a slice each. But there was no butter or oil to eat it with. Just a sad little piece of bread sitting on the plate. Are bread baskets not hip enough for this place?

The food was a mixed bag. The best thing about the Burricotta with radicchio was the tasty, sweet walnuts. We did not care for the Smoked Bufala Mozzarella with Prosciutto di Parma. Maybe I'm just not a mozzarella person. Total cost $35 - pretty much what we'd normally spend on a full meal. Ouch.

My wife had the ravioli ($22) for the main. The portion was puny even by her modest needs. My salmon ($30?) was slightly bigger, very nice, but I was so hungry after more than an hour at this painful joint that I wolfed it down in a few minutes.

We also wanted to get the hell out as soon as possible, asked the waiter to bring the bill ($99 - no alcohol either) and took it straight to the counter because we knew the exit would be another tedious process.

2 Thank dgdevil

• Arabic first
SF
“Fabulous innovative yet authentic Italian fare!”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Osteria Mozza and the attached pizzeria are two gems in L.A. The restaurant is PRICY, and not for the faint of wallet. But when the budget allows for such splurging, this is a place that will surely satisfy discriminating diners. Everything is super fresh, the service staff is knowledgable and happy to make recommendations, and the food quality is superb. An open kitchen in the middle of the dining room - with counter seating - makes for a fun and lively ambiance with food preparation to entertain the guests. The pastas are not to be missed, and are as fresh and delicate as they come! Enjoy this masterpiece.

• Visited March 2013
North Brunswick, New Jersey
“Excellent service, great food and variety”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

We made an advance reservation at this restaurant, which was a great idea, as it is very popular and very busy. We were not disappointed. The ambiance was amazing, the staff was very professional and knew the menu, food and wine very well to be able to make recommendations on combinations and portions.

I can recommend trying the mozzarella bar (we had the Burricotta with radicchio, which was exceptionally good). Also consider sharing the appetizer (we had the butter lettuce salad) and the pasta (we had the ravioli), as these portions are quite large.

The taste and the presentation of the entrée was amazing. The meat was cooked to perfection and blended perfectly with the spices and sauces.

This restaurant is HIGHLY recommended.

“Mozzarella Heaven”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I had a great experience. We went on a Thursday and were able to order the Burrata from Puglia. It was to die for! The pasta is also amazing, we couldn't decide between the Bucatini All' Amatricana or Francobolli Di Brasato so we ordered one of each, both were wonderful. I can't wait to go back when visiting in LA.

• Visited April 2013
Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts
“Almost Perfect...”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've eaten pasta, and handmade pasta at that, all over Italy. Never thought I would find anything close here in the US. And then I went to Osteria Mozza, where I found the orrechetti with homemade sausage ragu to die for. It had a bit of a kick and was just the right amount of ragu to be held in the little cups of the pasta...oh it was heavenly.

But I get ahead of myself. Yes, you pay for valet (where don't you?) and yes you need to reserve on a weekend night, but it's worth it. Really, I'm not kidding you here. The server was fabulous, personable and very knowledgable about the menu and what works well for two diners; I suggest taking her recommendations. We changed both our appetizer and entree based on her suggestions and it was an amazing meal. The burrata from Puglia was to die for...the consistency just shy of being milk but still spreadable with a knife, mamma mia! And the garlic bread to spread it on was wonderful.

The wine recommended to go with my pasta was perfect and very tasty. Dessert was almost an afterthought, but my strawberries over a crepe filled with ricotta and sprinkled with spiced almonds was a great way to end it.

One minor quibble, it is really loud in this space. I think the high ceilings contribute to it, but it was hard to carry on meaningful conversation with the place so full.

The meal is on the pricy side but I can't complain given how incredibly good it actually was. I'll dream about it until I can get back there.