“Definitely worth the detour”
Review of Orochon Ramen

Orochon Ramen
Ranked #954 of 10,202 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 26, 2013

I don't understand some of the negative comments about this place.

The staff were helpful, polite and friendly. The service was fast. The food was good, tasty, not too salty, and the portion sizes! Wow! Too large to finish. The price was cheap too. The restaurant was air conditioned, which was more than welcome in the heat! It wasn't too busy when we arrived, so were immediately seated.

The only negative I'd suggest is it's not easy to find. It's on the top floor of a shopping centre without much signage, so we had to ask a security guard for directions.

I'd definitely return.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My daughter and I were in LA for KCon. We got hungry. The people were SOOOOO nice, and they let us split an order because we're not big eaters, and they made it vegetarian. AND it was DELISH!!! I sure wish we had one here in Virginia. Thanks Orochon, now I have eaten at a place where Adam Richman has eaten!!

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Orochon is an interesting place...

Yes, it's owned by Japanese....but what to say when even a Japanese don't like it?
Maybe because I'm not from the same region as the owner, so thaty's why I'm not a big fan of their ramen's taste. But I don't think it's worth the drive from my place to Little Tokyo for this place.

Portion is big, price is somewhat cheaper than average ramen place...but If I'm craving for Ramen...like a really good one...I'll go to other places! Surprisingly, there're lots of Ramen (owned by Japanese) in LA area.

This place is not fancy or big....but I've seen queue outside of this restaurant....so I guess there are people who like this place. On the good note, employees are friendly, and service is fast.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was not my first visit to Orochon Ramen, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's overhyped and not worth the drive. If you're already in LA and down for mediocre ramen, go for it--if you're not, go elsewhere--there are plenty of just-as-delicious-or-­better ramen places, try them out.

Service 1*: They get 1 star. What was the 1 star? When we got there and there were no tables free for our party of 8, they did offer and bring out ice water for us while we waited in the warmth. Why the 1 star? How about a list: 1) When the table was empty that they said would be ours, it took about 5 minutes before someone cleared it for us so we could sit down. 2) When we did sit down and get our menus, we couldn't get anyone to take our order, we just sat there for 20 minutes twiddling our thumbs. One of the servers (going on break I presume) walked by when my friend happened to say "Are they going to take our order" and mumbled something to us like "I'm off." So then, someone finally came and took our order all nonchalantly, as if we hadn't been waiting forever. They were NOT busy, in fact--half the tables were empty. 3) I was the only one not having ramen, I had ordered some appetizers and cold noodles. He brought out one appetizer and cold noodle and disappeared for about 10 minutes before he reappeared, and I had to ask for utensils, because we never got any! Then when he DID give us our chopsticks, he shorted us two. So we had to ask him (AGAIN) for utensils. 4) About 10 minutes after my food came out, the soups finally did. Must take really long to make soup. 5) Where's my check? If I could flag someone down maybe we could get it. Again, can't find anyone or get anyone's attention. They have those buzzers for service on the napkin dispensers, that obviously don't work. We joked the entire time that maybe if we threw it into their doorway it would get their attention, and maybe that's how they worked...

Food 3*: Like I said, mediocre. I've had a few of the different ramens, to now the cold noodles and some appetizers. I think its all overly hyped because of the man v. food special #2 "race."

Overall 2*: I argued about this place with my roommate, he likes the place for the heat. I told him, unless he's getting the special #2, its not worth it. The ramen is "ok" the cold noodles were "ok" but at the end of the day, I'd like to try other ramen places that survive for better food instead of just their reputation of "special #2". I've gotten better service at McDonalds.

If you're here to try the challenge, sure, have fun with it. If you're expecting good or even decent food, go somewhere else.

1  Thank PhishPhood
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were visiting from Virginia and wanted to have some good West Coast ramen and ended up going to Orochon due to the Food Channel "Man vs Food" episode. I ordered the Miso Ramen and it was simply too heavy for a ramen soup. The ramen was not bad but there are much better options for ramen in Little Tokyo. To be fair to Orochon the TV show hypes up your expectations but Orochon just can not deliver since what they offer is just an average but huge portion of ramen. As others have mentioned the "char siu" is more like a well cooked pork roll. We went on a Saturday evening and it did not appear that busy but the service was not so good. We ordered two appetizers (gyoza) but it came in two delveries separated by about 10 minutes. We ordered beer that never was served before our ramen came so we ended up cancelling the order. The waiter we had seemed to be more interested in talking to his friend rather than concentrating on serving his customers. Again all lthis would have been fine had our expectations not been so high.