“You might go once to be charitable but you WILL go back for the food”
Review of Homegirl Cafe

Homegirl Cafe
Ranked #1,769 of 10,306 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Homegirl Cafe is part of the Homeboy social enterprise so all the cooking and serving is done by former gang members who have decided to turn their backs on that lifestyle. So that's the background-what's the food like? Well it's amazing. It is the most original and appetising Mexican inspired food I have ever had and I have eaten in a lot of Mexican restaurants. All the food is fresh-cooked on the spot for you so yes sometimes your dishes may arrive separately but what does arrive more than makes up for it. I had tacos with pork carnitas, red mole chicken, and ascholte chicken-all delicious and I was a bit brave and tried one on a cactus leaf-an interesting taste. All the tacos are gluten free a big bonus for me as usually I just eat the filling. Homeboy's chips and salsa and an LA legend already so obviously we had some of those. Other people I was with recommended the roasted white sweet corn and they have some very interesting drinks to accompany your lunch (all alcohol free). Homegirl cafe is open for breakfast and lunch and is well worth the detour through downtown to Chinatown. I went to be charitable but next time I visit LA I WILL be going back for the food don't miss it just go!

1  Thank ph0ebe48

Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

Service was slow... tan out of Guacamole and Salmon... Maybe a rough day, everyone has them... the salad was pretty good and filling. Guess I'll give it another try some other day...

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Fresh Mexican with some imaginative twists. The food is alive and tasty. None of this dead mexican slop you find sometimes. Great organization. Great cause. Great lunch. Give it a try.

1  Thank FroggyBumBum
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had lunch here today and it was the best one I have had since being in LA. The service was quick and efficient. The food fresh, hot and tasty. The portions were substantial.

I also did a tour of Homeboy Industries next door, which I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Dushkas
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This place provides one of the more unique dining experiences you'll find in this great city. The food is excellent; fresh, creative and tasty -- it's a twist on traditional "Latino" cuisines. You'll find variations on traditional Mexican, Salvadoran, Cuban and other Latino dishes. You must try the pork carnitas or the red mole chicken Even the beverages are unique. I can never get enough of Angela's Green Potion. delicious and nutritious.
And there's a bakery right next door to the restaurant serving all the traditional bakery breads and treats.
But it's the staff that I keep coming back for. Don't be put off by the wait staff's gang tattoos. They're the real deal. No posers here. The restaurant is part of an organization created by Fr. Greg Boyle to help gang members escape the cycle of violence that's destroying so many of our young people. So if they've got a little 'tude going...sit back and relax. They'll take good care of you with their own special brand of cholo hospitality.

1  Thank jvabalos50