“bazaar by jose andres”

The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bazaar by Jose Andres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 10,306 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: San Vicente Blvd.
Description: Deemed "Four Stars" from the Los Angeles Time, finalist for the James Beard Awards' "Best New Restaurant," named Esquire Magazine's "Restaurant of the Year" and Zagat's "Top Newcomer," The Bazaar by José Andrés is a vibrant mix of sophisticated cuisine and playful lounge spaces where dining transcends into fete extraordinaire. Experience a collection of magical dining experiences, entwined in a modern-day, European-inspired "indoor piazza" -- savor pioneering culinary creations, delicacies from roving carts and delicious libations by James Beard Award-Winning Chef José Andrés. The Bazaar also boasts a Wine Spectator 'Award of Excellence' winning wine list featuring extensive selections from Spain and California as well as all the classic wine regions of the old world and new. Visit our website to learn more about our ongoing programming, including Cigar Night on Blanca Terrace (every 3rd Wednesday of the month) and decadent wine pairing dinners.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Quirky atmosphere as expected with place named bazaar. From nitrogen infused drinks on through the thirteen dishes, food was fantastic. Highlights: jicama wrapped guac, wagyu beef cheesesteak, caesar salad, beef cheeks, sous vide chicken. Everything so tender no knife placed on table, no change of plate though either.

1  Thank Brentplag

Reviewed June 10, 2013

As we walked in to check in for our reservation (TIP: make your reservation as far in advance as possible), we had to pass by a trendy group of 20-30 somethings, girls dressed like they're ready for their summer shoot for Glamour Magazine (heels with bathing suits?!) and their slicked-back-hair boyfriends zipping into the valet in their BMWs (it's inside the SLS Hotel). We make our way into the lobby and to the hostess station, and are finally acknowledged by our hostess from Madrid, who emitted a very "I am too cool" attitude. We gave our names and reservation time, and apparently she saw a friend/customer and about-faced and left us standing there. Fortunately the other hostess noticed and immediately took care of us and led us to our table. The waiters were all in their 20's, and could appear in a GQ magazine--I thought that we would get the same treatment as "Miss Madrid", so I started with my Mojito (which was quite good). We were very pleasantly surprised when we got Cameron as our waiter, who was very attentive and patiently explained how the dishes were prepared. We love to experiment, so there were lots of interesting options but it was hard to make a decision, so we went on Cameron's recommendations. They were excellent! I don't remember the names of the dishes, but we had thinly-sliced rolled jicama filled with mint, pickled ginger,cucumber and a coconut dressing on the side..very good! Also if you like egg, you must try the "tortilla de papa new way" which is a larger shot glass with caramelized onion on the bottom, the thickened/emulsified yolk mixed with seasonings over the onion, and then topped with a FOAM of potato--sounds strange, but we thought it was absolutely exquisite! We could have had several of those but wanted to try other dishes..There was something called a deconstructed paella or something like that, with shrimp and noodles (kind of like fideos) instead of rice. I wasn't crazy about that one, because I was looking forward to the taste of saffron, but the way the spices were mixed into the shrimp and pasta must have been cooked into a reduction, so that the flavor of salty tomato overpowered everything else..We also had sweet potato fries, and what we thought was extraordinary was the sauce that came with them, which was greek yogurt with a tamarind reduction sauce, sprinkled with star anise and drizzled with just enough olive oil--WOW..I forgot what else we had, but these are the dishes that stood out. We wanted to save room for dessert, so we were escorted told we'd be escorted to the dessert bar--sorry, the "patisserie" which looked like a night club, by who? Miss Madrid. Alright, I thought I'd try again, maybe it's just me..Tried to chat with her, but nope--it wasn't just me. She escorted us with her "catwalk" (no I didn't "follow" her..) to the "patisserie". I thought this was a great place for a night out for dessert and a drink (guys take note). There were interesting dessert choices there as well. We had the floating island (maybe a different name..) which was coconut ice cream with I think guava sauce and a thin piece of dark chocolate, which was OK--I think something needs to be mixed into the coconut ice cream because it seemed kind of bland. We took home chocolate pop rocks for the kids (tasted like chocolate hard candy, but the popping was cool), the mango-passion marshmallow was pretty good as was the red currant-rose marshmallow, we had the salted caramel with edible paper, a financier (teeny tiny, half a bite's worth), and I think the pain au raisin..All of these desserts were okay, the marshmallow was interesting because I've never seen any in those flavors. It is pricey, but it's fun to take it in like a show, and an interesting outing with your significant other!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Picture it, arrived with no res on a saturday night, obviously the maitre d' looked at us with this "really", no problem, put us on the wait list, will get some drinks at the bar and let us know when u have something, we opened a tab at the bar and start having fun as its more a night club than a bar....after 1 hour, started talking to the bartender and he is like, let me check for u, he played his magic and got us a table, overall a great experience, of course dinner was amazing but the bartender made it happen and we loved it! sorry buddy i don't remember your name!

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The Bazaar is a wonderful dining concept in terms of the different rooms (bar, main dining room, patisserie) that you move through as the evening progresses and the eclectic decor. It has its strengths and its weaknesses and unfortunately I felt that its main weakness was the food -- not all the dishes were poorly executed but about 50% of the tapas dishes that we ordered was just average.

We started at the bar area and ordered the liquid nitrogen caipirinha and it was not bad. For $20.00 a drink it should be something wonderful. A wait staff brings a trolley and prepares the drink in front of you. Not sure if the edible flowers added anything to the drink.

For dinner we ordered about 7 or 8 dishes for the two of us; meat, seafood and vegetables. The best dish was the Wagyu beef cheeks (really tender and tasty) followed by the Ultimate Tapas (tuna belly). Where The Bazaar is not strong is with the vegetables. Shame on us for ordering eggplant and brussels sprouts (who eats that anyways?) but we thought surely Jose can make these amazing. Not so much. The eggplant was tough while the sprouts had no flavour to them; bland is a good description.

To be honest I cannot even remember what else we had ordered because the rest of the dishes did not stand out for us.

Dessert was better. A hostess escorts you to the bakery side of the restaurant and we ordered one cube of pate de fruit (great), two wedding cookies (not bad), the red currant rose marshmallow (good) and the nitro coconut floating island (interesting and executed nicely).

The staff was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable.

Overall, I felt the food was a mixture of good and not great. For a meal that costs $200 I believe it should have been better than this. I doubt I would return for dinner, but definitely for dessert.

1  Thank A_OKD
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've been to most of the Jose Andres restaurants in the US (Oyamel only last weekend), so I've got a decent baseline. This one was so-so.

We arrived 10 minutes late for our reservation at SAAM, but had to wait another 10 minutes for them to ready our place. The seating area has a dozen of so picnic-table-like tables, where parties-of-two are seated across from each other -- there's decent separation from the next party-of-two, so it's not unlike being at small tables-for-two that are 18" apart. Not complaining.

The tapas were quite small portions -- our helpful waiter suggested 6-8 orders for a party of two, but that wasn't enough for me. They do gluten-free quite well (separate menu, which has nearly the same items as the main menu).

The real disappointment was the lack of "oomph" -- even tho we ordered several of the "modern" tapas (e.g., showcases for Andres' molecular gastronomy fare), none of them really were that impressive. (Compare, fabulous fare at Minibar in D.C.)

The staff were friendly, attentive, and helpful. Not cloying, and there when you needed them.

The bar area *IS* a place to see (and be seen) -- quite a trendy crowd, and an impressive layout. Worth a visit for the bar alone.

I wouldn't go back -- nothing there compelling enough, I'm afraid.

Dinner for two, with 8 tapas, and 2 cocktails was $130.