“Molecular gastronomy--a totally stellar experience”

The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bazaar by Jose Andres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 10,244 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: San Vicente Blvd.
Description: Deemed "Four Stars" from the Los Angeles Time, finalist for the James Beard Awards' "Best New Restaurant," named Esquire Magazine's "Restaurant of the Year" and Zagat's "Top Newcomer," The Bazaar by José Andrés is a vibrant mix of sophisticated cuisine and playful lounge spaces where dining transcends into fete extraordinaire. Experience a collection of magical dining experiences, entwined in a modern-day, European-inspired "indoor piazza" -- savor pioneering culinary creations, delicacies from roving carts and delicious libations by James Beard Award-Winning Chef José Andrés. The Bazaar also boasts a Wine Spectator 'Award of Excellence' winning wine list featuring extensive selections from Spain and California as well as all the classic wine regions of the old world and new. Visit our website to learn more about our ongoing programming, including Cigar Night on Blanca Terrace (every 3rd Wednesday of the month) and decadent wine pairing dinners.
Reviewed February 4, 2013

If you're a foodie, or would like to be--this place is a dream. The food is all traditionally unique and yet totally new. The liquid nitrogen infused martini is a grown-ups slushie delight. The olives are olives injected with vodka. The tapas have the most specific, organic, and unique layers of flavors prepared in ways you'd never think of. Our dessert had olive oil but was sweet. Such a fun experience.

1  Thank Kesslane

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Nice little plates; some better than others. You have to try the Philly Cheesesteak and the Caviar Cone; not to mention the Magic Mojito drink. Expect to pay a lot especially if you like to eat till you're full.....for details with pictures, see blog:
solittlethyme.blogspot.com

1  Thank stollyboy
Reviewed January 29, 2013

My husband and I joined 2 friends at the Bazaar to celebrate my birthday this past Saturday night. To say we really loved our meal and experience there is a serious understatement. We absolutely loved the Bazaar--the food, the service (our server, Laura, especially), and the ambience. This may be the best and most enjoyable meal we've had in Los Angeles in quite some time, if not ever.

First, our food was incredible. While there was one or two tapas dishes that we found bland and unenjoyable (the shrimp for example), every other dish was beautifully presented and tasted delicious. Laura, our incredible server, took away the shrimp dishes we so disdained, agreed with our assessment, and then returned with replacement dishes that were extraordinary.

Second, Laura's service was extraordinary. She didn't charge us for the shrimp dishes we had ordered but hated, and she replaced them almost immediately with a sincere apology and agreement that she should have suggested otherwise to us from the start. She was energetic, charming, fun, and very eager to please to ensure we were enjoying ourselves. She handled what could have been a difficult situation very well, and left us completely satisfied and eager for more. I can only hope that the restaurant recognizes the talent they have in Laura, and that other servers are comparably as talented and wonderful.

Finally, the dessert room move was unexpected and interesting. We enjoyed the change of scenery, but the service there was definitely a lot slower and less enthusiastic. We enjoyed the desserts and small bites, and overall found it to be a fun way to conclude dinner. But we hope they improve their timing, service efficiency, and enthusiasm in this dessert section.

Overall, we loved the Bazaar and will definitely plan to return. And we will definitely be requesting Laura to be sure!

5  Thank Bill R
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Small plates, great vibe, really good desserts - you have to "transfer" to another part of the restaurant for dessert.
Trendy and hard to get a reservation.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Without asking, the receptionist lead me to a stool at the bar counter. I indicated that I expected and preferred a table, so I was then seated at an out of the way corner of the restaurant, facing a curtain. I asked a waiter to help me move the huge chair so that I would at least seat with the curtain behind me, and he very nicely helped me. Since I was dinning alone that night, I thought that perhaps they do not like solo dinners at this restaurant, but a couple that arrived shortly after I did was shown to a table in the same area, and they asked to be seated elsewhere. I should have done the same. All this while the restaurant was over 50% empty, only one half hour before closing time.

But then came culinary heaven. The "modern" tapas are unbelievable both in presentation and taste. The little cones are out of this world (all three varieties), the caprese salad with liquid mozzarella is like none that I had ever seen before, the mushrooms risotto is delicious, as also are the air bread tapas. This is modern cooking at its best; different and superb. Highly recommended, notwithstanding the receptionist.

1  Thank francisco2pr