“Spanish Brilliance”

The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bazaar by Jose Andres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 10,087 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: San Vicente Blvd.
Description: Deemed "Four Stars" from the Los Angeles Time, finalist for the James Beard Awards' "Best New Restaurant," named Esquire Magazine's "Restaurant of the Year" and Zagat's "Top Newcomer," The Bazaar by Jose Andres is a vibrant mix of sophisticated cuisine and playful lounge spaces where dining transcends into fete extraordinaire. Experience a collection of magical dining experiences, entwined in a modern-day, European-inspired "indoor piazza" -- savor pioneering culinary creations, delicacies from roving carts and delicious libations by James Beard Award-Winning Chef Jose Andres. **From October to November join Jose Andres in celebration of the opulence of white truffle season with the third annual White Truffle Dinner Series at SAAM . The multi-course dinner unearths the flavors of the truffle through the playful imagination and inventive gastronomic vision.
London
“Spanish Brilliance”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Eating here was a real highlight of our time in Beverly Hills. The Spanish influence tapas menu delivered so many exciting tastes, textures and flavours, the majority of which we were just not expecting. Liquid morzarella, philly cheese steak with wagu beef, croquettas, wonderful spanish hams, and we missed out on the nitrogen cocktail mixed at your table. Wondeful petit fours and a brilliant decor and lively vibe made this a place you can really hang out for hours...which we did!

Visited October 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Hermosa Beach, CA
“An Experience !!”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Quite a place.
The food, The drinks, The Desserts The decor, The athmosphere, The Blanco Room with very comfortable couches, and to make it even better since my Wife is Vegan a Vegan Menu.
An experience worth trying !!

• Visited October 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Choose your tapas wisely”
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've been here twice, both times having tapas menu.

I had two very different experiences here. The first time was top-notch, excellent informative service and everything was explained with great passion, even down to the mineral water selection. Food was memorable & we were seated in the quieter dining area section. I also remember being quite surprised by the washroom. You'll understand when you walk through the door.

The second time was last year and we were seated in the back by the kitchen area. It was extremely noisy and I would not recommend it. Service was professional but impersonal. They must get tired of explaining the same tapas over and over again, luckily, I already knew what I wanted to order.

This second time I was extremely disappointed in their signature tapas, the Philly cheese pop. I found it to be unbearably salty. The tapas that did stand out to me was the chicken (slow-roasted 72 hrs), the cherry tomatoes, and the foie gras cotton candy and the ribs; which I was told will no longer available due to a ban on foie gras in California. Everything else was forgettable or mediocre. Desserts were good, had the liquid nitrogen coconut dessert and the breadcake. Both were good.

My conclusion is that The Bazaar is a place you should visit at least once. The decor is top notch and that in itself is a dining experience like no other. The tapas are extremely hit and miss. Some of very well done and others are not worth it. I feel that many of the tapas are "fillers" with only a few truly spectacular ones. There is no tasting menu, so if you opt to go for a tapas style dinner, choosing the right tapas will be the crux of your dining experience.

Here is a summary:

- Seating by the kitchen is EXTREMELY noisy. Seating in the dining area quieter and more intimate
- Desserts are served in a separate seating area that is worth experiencing
- Choose your tapas wisely. Some are top notch, most are filler and forgettable

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank sherwinli
San Francisco, California
“Great food, terrible inexperienced service”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I loved the food. Modern tapas were the way to go. Amazing and interesting. Something I couldn't make at home which was fun. You can't go wrong in the new tapas section, we are still talking about the food.

However when the service is as terrible as it was, it makes the experience not as enjoyable. The hostess kept forgetting about us, we were sat 25 minutes late when we finally asked the manager if they were running behind and he said no. It took an additional 20 minutes to get menus and our waiter could have cared less about his tables. Our food arrived with no explanation-and in this type of restaurant when you order 10 dishes that are made in ways you've never seen before you need a little explanation-like how do I eat this? I have never left a $0 tip at any restaurant in my life (I was a waitress, I value showing appreciation to staff)-but this service was so appalling we did it for the first time. The manager really needs to be on top of training his staff to create an experience that matches to food, price and atmosphere.

If you do go, I recommend going and sitting in the dessert bar for dessert vs. staying at your table. It's beautiful and a fun atmosphere.

Visited October 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Microgastronomy A Bit Too Micro”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family of four went to celebrate a birthday at The Bazaar in Los Angeles, a restaurant we had been to once before but had our first try there cut short. Jose Andres and his crew have taken the ideas of Spanish tapas and included modern as well as traditional versions of such bites. The modern iterations use microgastronomy to craft tastes, separating elements of the actual tapas and creating some strange items and drinks; "cones" of caviar, a little profiterole with philly cheesesteak sauce, chocolate pop-rocks, etc. While the food tastes totally pleasant, the use of money to get your stomach's worth is virtually bankrupting, and The Bazaar is not such a remarkable experience that it's worth returning to.

• Visited October 2012