“One of My FAVORITE Food Experiences”

The Bazaar by Jose Andres
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bazaar by Jose Andres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 10,030 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central L.A
Cross street: San Vicente Blvd.
Description: Deemed "Four Stars" from the Los Angeles Time, finalist for the James Beard Awards' "Best New Restaurant," named Esquire Magazine's "Restaurant of the Year" and Zagat's "Top Newcomer," The Bazaar by Jose Andres is a vibrant mix of sophisticated cuisine and playful lounge spaces where dining transcends into fete extraordinaire. Experience a collection of magical dining experiences, entwined in a modern-day, European-inspired "indoor piazza" -- savor pioneering culinary creations, delicacies from roving carts and delicious libations by James Beard Award-Winning Chef Jose Andres. **From October to November join Jose Andres in celebration of the opulence of white truffle season with the third annual White Truffle Dinner Series at SAAM . The multi-course dinner unearths the flavors of the truffle through the playful imagination and inventive gastronomic vision.
San Jose, California
“One of My FAVORITE Food Experiences”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Bazaar is one of my favorites of all time. If I am in LA and have time and the $$$, I go here for the insanely creative and delicious food.

Start with a liquid nitrogen prepared Caipirinha
MUST STARTER - Sweet Potato Chips
Jicama Wrapped Guacamole, died and gone to guac heaven,
"Not your average Caprese" liquid mozzarella...little bubbles of liquid mozzarella
Explore away and end with the Nitro Floating Coconut Island in the Pastry Lounge
The crown jewel of Jose Andres' restaurant empire.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Boston, Massachusetts
“interesting food, terrible service”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I visited this restaurant with two friends. We were promptly seated upon our arrival (with a reservation) and while the front of the dining area looked nice and posh, the back room, near the kitchen, had mismatching floor tiles and mismatching dining tables. Perhaps this was done on purpose but I wasn't expecting it and thought it was weird. There were a few long tables that seated three separate parties of two. I know I wouldn't have liked it if I had to share a table with strangers.

The food here is tapas style and are separated into traditional and modern. As I wasn't the one that picked this place, I did not do any research and let my friend did the ordering. We had the following items:
- white truffle rice: I'm not sure why it says white truffle in the receipt as it was served with black truffles. This was one of the specials that night and had we known it was going to be a $55 tapas risotto dish, we definitely would not have ordered it. We did receive a generous amount of truffle shavings but we certainly didn't love it
- sautéed shrimp: typical tapas shrimp dish with a lot of oil and garlic taste
- beef cheeks: this dish was quite tender with three larger than expected ices for tapas. Plenty to share for three
- farm chicken: the skin was crispy and meat juicy. It was very tasty but for three small pieces I know I can get chicken that taste identical to this for a lot less than $11
- not your everyday caprese: this was the best dish. mozzarella pops/explodes in your mouth with awesome flavors when mixed with cherry tomatoes and i do NOT eat tomatoes. highly recommended
- sautéed cauliflower cous cous: this was mad with cauliflower. The first few bites were quite unimpressive but after a few more it tasted ok. It certainly looked a lot better on the menu than it actually tasted
- jicama wrapped guacamole: this dish came with 5 pieces although i think one piece per person is plenty and nothing really special
- Philly cheesesteak: this comes in 4 or 5 very thin slices of beef, seared on the outside, covering a shallow piece of bread. Inside the bread is melted cheese. This is $9 a piece. It was certainly tasty, interesting and different
- uni bun: this is literally a uni sandwich and I much prefer eating it as sushi

Overall, the food experience was interesting. The dining experience, on the other hand, was disappointing. Our server, Emily, seemed quite pushy to get us to order more drinks (asked more than enough times throughout our time there) and also made sure that we definitely 100% sure we didn't want dessert (this requires you to go into a different section of the restaurant). It felt pushy and we were ultimately annoyed. I even overheard someone in the ladies room complaining about their server being pushy about ordering drinks. While I don't know if they have the same server, my impression was that Emily thought we ordered too little (dollar value wise) for three and maybe thought more food/drinks/dessert would have meant a bigger tip. She seemed uninterested in our table soon after we turned down more drink orders several times.

Another negative was that our dishes came out very sporadically. Almost immediately after we ordered, three dishes came out, but it was at least ten minutes before the next dish came out. The servers who brought out the dishes also didn't care to set them down properly. One of our dishes was set at the edge of the table and my elbow could have easily knocked it over had we not moved it. We didn't have that many plates on the table at this time. Finally when we only had the risotto dish and Philly cheesesteak left, Emily told us we only had the cheesesteaks left and asked if we wanted to order anything else. Luckily someone else remembered our order correctly for a not so packed night. What made these two dishes memorable was that they came at least 20 minutes after our previous dish. We weren't sure if we were done and were confused. I don't mind food taking longer than expected but I would have wanted someone to come and tell us that there'd be a bit of a delay.

Needless to say, I don't care to go back there again, which is a shame. I'm sure there may have been other dishes on the menu worth trying for a second visit.

London, England, UK
“Unbelievable meal - loved it”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Such a perfect LA place to have a fabulous night out. Amazing scene, great setting, and the food!

We started out with some crazy delicious cocktails - my husband got the Smoke on the Water which was literally smoking. The we sat down for an amazing meal which was highlighted by the "philly cheese steak" - gotta taste it, can't be described. Finally moved to the dessert area for a unique and tasty end to the meal.

Can't wait to go back next time we are in LA.

• Visited July 2012
Los Angeles
“Big Bucks, Big Experience”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Plan on spending a lot of money and tasting a lot of food. Each portion is small so order accordingly.

Visited August 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“been to his others...disappointing flagsip”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

From the DC area; we have been to Jose Andre's other restaurants: America Eats, Oyamel, and Zaytina are better experiences overall as of now. Needs some polishing. I was annoyed that we had a high end meal and were still charged $17 for parking with slow valet. Just hide the cost and validate! Very loud, especially by the bar. I did love parts of the decor, modern and eclectic and large, but would be certainly annoyed if I were seated at any of the tables with bench seats. NOT for an intimate meal generally, as we were sat at a long table next to other couples. The tasting room is for that. Terrible service at the dessert area. Food was very good, but it is a 4 tapa place if you're hungry, not the usual 3. I also hate that in tapas places, my wife got 3 dishes by the time I got 1, and there isn't that much to share

The menu has traditional and new tapas (we went all new school)

Seared Strauss veal loin Jaques Maximin, pisto, trumpet mushrooms ($18) - mushrooms were great; veal was flavorful, 3 small pieces, would have preferred medium to medium rare; very nice sauce

Sea urchin with avacado on steamed buns ($12) - the BEST item; uni was to die for; buns were a nice conduit but it was all ocean flavor

Sautéed cauliflower “couscous” w/Cauliflower purée, harissa, lemon, crispy quinoa ($9) - cauliflower puree was flavorful and the star

Seared scallops w/ romesco sauce ($14)- big scallops but a bit overcooked; the sauce was pretty good

Lemon artichokes w/ Black olive tapenade, dandelion ($14) - refreshing

Grilled Wagyu flank steak piquillo pepper sphere ($16) - the spheres were nice and quite creative, and worked together well. wagyu is good, but flank is flank. could've used another flank and i'd have been ok with it.

DRINKS

“New Way” Dirty Martini - A Martini with olive spherification and olive brine air ($16) - delicious, salty and fresh

Passion fruit "up" ($16) - Orange rum, passion fruit and ginger-laurel syrup, topped with passion fruit foam - nice and smoky and flavorful

The missteps were the lasting things.