“The best sushi money can buy”

Kanpai Sushi Bar and Grill
Ranked #323 of 9,978 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Marina del Rey, California
“The best sushi money can buy”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

This place is great. Great staff , sushi chef. Waiter are very nice and polite. The quality of sushi is exelent. They can copetit with the top places in Los Angeles. The prices are fare. We just love this place. We go about 6 year to this restaurant and we love it. And will keep going how long they keep high standards. Wort every penny . Wort to try it. The best in Los Angeles for a normal person with normal salary and not so extravagant taste or exentric. , this is my opinion.

• Korean first
Westchester, California, United States
“Best Sushi in LA”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This sushi restaurant has fish you will not find in any sushi bar in LA. On any given day they will have 7 different kinds of salmon, 8 different tunas, 4 differnt mackerel, etc, etc. They have a separate menu just for their rolls, which personally I tend to avoud because they are a complete meal, and I'd rather save room for the fish! Service is just OK, but mainly that's because its so tight in their its hard for the staff to get around! The prices are high, more in the Beverly Hills sushi bar range, but the fish is way better.

• Visited September 2012
San Jose, California
“Stumbled upon this authentic, non-chain, compact, neighborhood find - well worth a visit!”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

This was recommended by a hotel shuttle driver, not because he had been there, but because he had shuttled others there. Super ambience, excellent food, packed with people but that added to the atmosphere. Definitely seems to be popular with locals, and there were even a few Japanese staff members and patrons. The selection of various sushi, sashimi, rolls, is outstanding, very fresh and impressive. Try the seaweed salad! There were three servers serving all tables, plus seating at the bar. Parking easy on street in front of the restaurant. Definitely worth a trip! Also have various kinds of Sake for those inclinded to try a sampler. Went for dinnner, and seems to be open for lunch as well.

• Visited August 2012
San Joaquin Valley California
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We found this authentic Japanese Restaurant while staying near LAX. Parking on street or in a small lot about half a block away. Great Sushi./food. All rolls were great. A lot of energy. Fairly small eating area. Beat the rush!

• Visited August 2012
Lemoore, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Miss Japan? Come here!”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Most important thing to put out there first is that if you miss Japan, this is probably the closest you will get.

My husband and I just got back from a high stress and high cholesterol trip to Texas. We only had a couple of hours before the long drive home and we just really wanted to enjoy ourselves before venturing into LA and I5 traffic. We decided that since we were close to the water we should take advantage and get some fresh sea food, and since LA is packed full of asians we might get lucky enough to find a decent sushi place.

We didn't have high hopes for any place we might have found. My husband gets to spend about a month in Japan a year and is not too spoiled. We found this place using yelp, and based on some good reviews we figured it was worth a shot. And it was!

We got there about 11am just before the lunch rush and sat at the bar. The place is pretty cramped, which I didn't care for, but put a smile on my husbands face. We were given 3 menus and I was kind of confused at first, but then I noticed that the daily specials really was the daily specials! The menu had just been printed that morning with that day's date and everything. I was impressed by that, because to me it meant that they had a good rotating stock of ingredients and were more likely to be fresh.

Because me and my husband love to cook, love to try new things, and love to know about what we have to choose from we asked a couple of questions... well, more than a couple, but the guy who was helping us (who was also actually Japanese by the way) seemed more than happy to answer them. In fact, he seemed pretty enthused that we had a clue about the cuisine at all. Guess that doesn't happen often.

My husband ordered for both of us. I figured since this was mainly for him, he could order two things that he really liked and I could just help him with it. It worked out great because what he really wanted was kake oysters in curry, but they didn't have that and they didn't have a small order of curry to order with the oysters. He ended up getting the oyster lunch and curried beef. It came with salad and miso. I like my miso salty and it wasn't salty enough for me so I added soy sauce. Theirs was home made and tasted more line wine that the salty stuff Filippinos use so it threw me for a loop. The beef curry was ridiculously tender, and the two sauces (home made tartar and something else) lent themselves perfectly to the oysters.

I normally say I hate LA because of the traffic and the people (I'm from the south and people here seem rude or inconsiderate - sometimes both), but with places like this, it makes me wish I could come back more often.

• Visited July 2012