“Very good but not the best”
Review of Komasa

Komasa
Ranked #1,147 of 10,140 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I selected this restaurant based on other reviews and that I saw some mentions online that this was one of the best sushi restaurants in LA.  It was very good but I hope it can't be the
 best in LA.  I had the 16pc combo and all the pieces were different which was great.  I just felt some of the pieces tasted the same.  I've had better sushi in many other smaller cities that has less selection of sushi restaurants.   While it is a small restaurant, the atmosphere was very good.  The sushi chef was relatively fast given every seat was taken.  The prices were reasonable ($15-25 for food per person depending on what you order).  The beer was inexpensive too and the service was excellent.  I would definetely go back because I did have a good experience and my expectations are now more reasonable.

There are newer reviews for Komasa

Reviewed July 23, 2012

The wait was almost an hour wait and we ended up sitting at the sushi bar. I do not mind seating at the sushi bar in the restaurant; especially if there is less time to wait. When we arrived in Komasa, one of the waiters asked me for my phone number and name and said it was going to take 40 minutes more or less; he also asked if we would prefer table or sushi bar. I told him either one is fine. Komasa is a very tiny restaurant with 7 small tables and a sushi bar for 10 guests. Although small place, the flavors of miso soup, tempura, fresh water eel rolls, seaweed salad, and salmon skin salad are some of the best my husband and I had. But my favorite is spicy tuna rolls! The sushi place makes a special semi-spicy sauce and adds in the raw tuna; it is truly delicious! I ordered chicken terayaki and it was good but not excellent. Love their tea and green tea ice cream. This is my favorite Japanese restaurant and until I find better spicy tuna rolls, I will keep coming to this place. All my family loves it too!

Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I love sushi and I have lived in Tokyo. This place measures up. Incredibly fresh, the flavors are perfect, and I just love watching the 60 year old Japanese sushi chef. This place is the real deal.

Reviewed January 27, 2012

Of all of the Sushi places that I have eaten this is my favorite. the atmosphere is nothing to write home about, service is very good. The sushi Chef runs a tight ship and we always bet if someone in our party can get a smile out of him. The sushi is amazing. I have never had anything that is not top shelf here. Recommend everything, including uni which I normally don't like. People move in and out of the restaurant at thier own pace and often there is a wait of 45 minutes or more. If we are with the kids we go to the shopping center behind the restaurant and listen to karaoke and if we are by ourselves we go to one of the other restaurants and have drink and ordurves until they call us on our cell phone.....

3  Thank chimbo77
Reviewed June 21, 2011

Sat at the counter watching the chef working away & deliver the food straight to your japanese wooden board. Food was so fresh & delicious.weaned just the way we remembered the last time we were here in 2006! Btw, if you keep eating the pickled ginger, he'll keep refilling it! Very busy so best to go earlier - we got there before 6pm. Otherwise there is a bench for you outside to sit & wait. Then have a nice stroll around the little mall area to complete the night!