“Best sushi in LA”

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Of all of the Sushi places that I have eaten this is my favorite. the atmosphere is nothing to write home about, service is very good. The sushi Chef runs a tight ship and we always bet if someone in our party can get a smile out of him. The sushi is amazing. I have never had anything that is not top shelf here. Recommend everything, including uni which I normally don't like. People move in and out of the restaurant at thier own pace and often there is a wait of 45 minutes or more. If we are with the kids we go to the shopping center behind the restaurant and listen to karaoke and if we are by ourselves we go to one of the other restaurants and have drink and ordurves until they call us on our cell phone.....

3  Thank chimbo77

Reviewed June 21, 2011

Sat at the counter watching the chef working away & deliver the food straight to your japanese wooden board. Food was so fresh & delicious.weaned just the way we remembered the last time we were here in 2006! Btw, if you keep eating the pickled ginger, he'll keep refilling it! Very busy so best to go earlier - we got there before 6pm. Otherwise there is a bench for you outside to sit & wait. Then have a nice stroll around the little mall area to complete the night!

Reviewed February 12, 2009

We recently dined at Komasa for the first time. We have visited Little Tokyo a few times in the past few years, but never had an opportunity to dine at Komasa because it was always full with a line of people when we were there. I thought that's an excellent sign that this place is very popular. So we were determined to find out if Komasa deserves the hype.

We are happy to report that, yes, Komasa does serve excellent sushi. The quality of fish and the preparation of sushi as a whole were both highly acceptable. The place is tiny, and it is understandable that even a small crowd can totally make this place a zoo.

We were there on a Wednesday night at around 7 PM, and the place was already hopping. Actually, we noticed that the entire Little Tokyo was quite busy that night. We were glad to see that this historical neighborhood is still doing well.

We ordered an assortment of nigiri (tuna, hirame, hamachi, tai, salmon, scallops, hokkigai, etc.) and negi-hamachi roll, and california roll (for our guest who did not eat raw fish). Fish, in general was excellent. Hamachi and hirame were especially good. We also had nameko miso soup, which was excellent.

We know that quality of fish, even in the best sushi restaurnt is not always consistent. I didn't expect all of the fish to be "the best I've ever had." However, all what we ordered were highly acceptable, and some were excellent.

We highly recommend this place...however, be warned that it is not so easy to walk in and have a table available. Please not that I gave this place "above average" rating...I think this place is excellent, and I hope the people at TripAdvisor will re-configure the definition of the overall rating system. I am reserving the five star "Excellent" rating only to those sushi restaurants that are "nearly identical" to "my best sushi experience, ever." I'm sure that's a fairly high standard since I grew up eating fresh fish in a Japanese fishing village, as well as very good sushi in various restaurants, mostly in Kyoto.

We suggest that if Komasa is too full, to try a few other excellent options in the same neighborhood, including Hama, which is also one of our favorites.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed July 1, 2008

Ack, how did this place make the top 10 spot? This is our secret sushi place. Shoo. You don't want to eat here.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed January 30, 2008

nothing fancy, here...but there's always a line, 'cause it's very good soosh.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook