“a nice find”

J Trani's Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
J Trani's Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #516 of 10,244 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Harbor
Cross street: Grand
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We had a certificate to dine here and we decided to use it. We did find that the kitchen closes between lunch and dinner so we had to kill over an hour before dinning. We left but did return later that evening, so it might be best to call ahead and check on dining times.\
When we returned we had smaller appetites than before as we snacked before our return and had to use our certificate as it we were only in town for the day. I had a vegetable plate and picked 4 items, all a great choice. The presentation was beautiful and it had a flavor to match. My cousin had a shrimp creation with GIANT and tasty shrimp and my wife a flavor filled pasta dish. It had to be good as we cleaned the plates.
There was some type of flavorful bread that I thought was great but my partners didn't really care for...I guess it's an individual taste bud test.
Service was great and the chilled water was a real thirst quencher. I enjoyed the "old world" decor and felt only the soft Italian background music was missing. I found conversation easy and felt very comfortable dining there.
They do have a wine list and bar menu if you wish. My only regret is that we only had a small appetite at the time as I would have enjoyed eating a full meal here.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

Trani's food is excellent without having to pay the sky high Westside prices. Great service, family atmosphere and great food. Try the risotto balls, short rib pasta, butternut squash or mushroom ravioli. The pear pizza is awesome as well. The decor needs some modernization but, hey, the food trumps the old decor by a lot. Try it you will not be sorry.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Just walking through the door begs memories of a nice dinner house in the 50's or 60's...this place is classic classy. Not pretentious, just good quality food, nice drinks, and true service...the staff and kitchen will create things to your liking if you can't find it on the menu.

Great place for a quiet drink, a group meal, or an intimate dinner.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

Upscale place for San Pedro. Better values available in many
other places. Used to be better, been here for almost 70 years. Very good calamari. Not much else to recommend. Fish so so. Same for salads.

Reviewed June 27, 2012

How many places do you know which are crowded on a \Wednesday nite? This one is for good reason when many of the wines on their excellent wine list are half price. I also enjoyed their improbable pizza with potato, cheese and prosciutto- other compbinations are equally inventive. Not cheap . but 2 people can split one pizza and a salad.