“Best no-car place in LA!!”
Review of The Orlando Hotel

The Orlando Hotel
Ranked #44 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Manhattan
“Best no-car place in LA!!”
Reviewed November 29, 2006

by: a woman traveller from Manhattan

This is my new favorite place in LA.

It's a newly-refurbished boutique hotel with about 100 rooms and a very pleasant European-feeling lobby, decorated with candles and blown glass objects, and it's in the best possible location for a traveler without a car - it's as easy to walk to dozens or hundreds of restaurants and shops as it would be in downtown Manhattan. Furthermore, the shops themselves are exceptional, as 3rd Street is a prime area for fresh boutiques and top-notch LA vintage shopping.

My room was pleasant and large, with a king-size bed and a seting area with a sofa. Temperature control was excellent, service was pleasant, a view of the Hollywood Hills was agreeable, and a leaky faucet handle was repaired the instant I reported it.

The restaurant food is excellent. The cost of my room included breakfast, which was generous - a nice buffet and eggs or pancakes if you felt like ordering them; one day there were elegant French apple tarts, every day there was homemade (I think) banana and zucchini bread. (If I'd wanted to, I could have booked a room for $20 less without the breakfast and found a dozen places to eat for less outside the hotel, but I liked the convenience this time.)

From the money angle, it's worth noting that on nearby La Cienega it's easy to find nice simple chain places like Chipotle for a really fast, really cheap meal.

A small pool is set nicely with comfortable lounge chairs for sunbathing. A small exercise room adjacent to the pool has the essentials and I did not ever have to wait to use it.

• Liked — Aesthetics and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Book without breakfast if you can wait and walk a block
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank VirginiaK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Portland, OR
Reviewed September 8, 2006

I have stayed at this hotel because I do business with Cedars Sinai (which is within walking distance). If you like a more european experince as opposed to a typical US business experience (like staying at the Marriott), this hotel may be for you. Quite chic in it's decor, the restaurant is good (if a little expensive), and the rooms are nice (not great). I do always have a little trouble getting online at this hotel. Great shopping and restaurants are also within walking distance. Stay on the 5th floor if you want a little more service.

• Liked — Location and decor
  • Disliked — internet access problems
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay on 5th floor if possible
  • Stayed June 2005, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Alice B
Reviewed June 28, 2006

This is a very pricey area, but we still expected more for the $344 for two nights we paid. The positives were the location near many museums and sights, the fitness room and small mineral pool, the linens and down duvets, the serene and modern decor, and the friendly front desk and valet. The breakfast that was included was served in the adjoining restaurant,"La Terza" and it was a nice buffet of fruits, yogurt, granola and ham and cheese.

The negatives were that the hot water in the shower was just lukewarm, the room was not immaculate (There was dust clogged in the vents and some cobwebs in upper corners.) The walls are very thin, so we could easily hear voices and TV from the next room and slamming doors.. Although the front desk was friendly, several of them were not very knowledgable of directions and nearby sights.

Stayed June 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
Reviewed June 7, 2006

I arrived at the hotel at 2:45 pm to check in and had to wait about 10 minutes for my room. OK, 10 minutes, no big deal. The lobby was nice enough, the "lounge" was relaxing and the front desk staff was friendly. I got my room key, dropped my bags and left to go shopping. I came back around 7 pm that night only to find that I had no hot water, among other probelems. For a "luxury boutique" hotel, I was truly disappointed.

The rooms had been redone, but they forgot the bathrooms. The fixtures are outdated (think 1970s), there were burn marks on the orange countertop, and there was a significant black and rust stain in the tub. Not to mention, there was hardly any water pressure. The rickety cheap metal closet doors don't open and close properly if the safe door is open. The walls were so thin, I could hear the phone ring and the subsequent conversation in the room next door. I could also hear the people above me walking around all night. I called the front desk who immediately sent people up to try to fix the problems. Housekeeping told me there was nothing they could do about the stain. The safety lock was also loose. The maintenance man told me I would have to wait at least a night or two before he could fix, and as the housekeeper left, the entire thing came off in my hands. She just looked at me and shrugged.

The "pool" is a joke. I've seen tubs bigger than that. The restaurant is OK. The free breakfast is basically fruit and yogurt. If you want eggs, bacon or toast, you have to order it. All in all, I will NEVER go back or recommend this place to anyone. If you want something in the area, try The Parc Suites. It's MUCH better.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank asdbarnes
Reviewed April 10, 2006

We stayed at The Orlando the last weekend of March 2006 and found the hotel to be in a great location. It was our first trip to LA, so we went into the trip without any expecations. Upon arrival, we were met by the valet staff, which were by far the most help in our visit to LA. There is one arrogant staff member who appeared to be in charge of the other check-in staff as he was training someone upon our arrival. He was the only member of the staff that was rude.

The room was absolutely beautiful and provided plenty of room for our stay. The bed was very comfortable especially with the down comforter and feather pillows. The bathroom was a little small, but we weren't there to spend time in the bathroom.

I would DEFINITELY stay at this hotel again. We booked our room a couple of months before they increased the rate. They honored the rate we were given at booking, so an A+ for customer service.

The breakfast was a joke. Eggs and ONE slice of bacon. Want a great breakfast on your trip, visit the Farmer's Market for a wide variety of options.

• Stayed March 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 8, 2006

At check in time, I found the desk clerk to be arrogant and rude. The only reason I didn't walk out right then and there was the intervention of another staff member who walked in when he heard what was going on.

When I went up to the room, it was not made up (this was at 3:00 PM).

The air conditioning was extremely noisy and the fan function (low, med, high) didn't work - it seemed to be stuck on high. It is also not clear that the temperature setting was functional - I varied it from 68 to 74 and could detect no difference in either temperature or on/off cycling of the unit.

Overnight parking (valet only) was over $20.00!

The restaurant was extremely expensive, pretentious, and, while the wait staff provided good service, the food was mediocre at best - an $18 breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs (dry and cold), one (burnt) slice of bacon, and a cold piece of toast that seemed to have been warmed in a microwave.

I would not recommend this hotel under any circumstances and would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
La Crescenta, CA
Reviewed March 22, 2006

My friend and I stayed at the Orlando and couldn't have been happier. I arrived early for check in and they were able to accommodate me. From the moment I pulled in to the valet parking area, I felt welcomed. After arriving in my room, the front desk attendant called to make sure everything was alright. The bedding is wonderful and the beds comfortable. The parking is outrageous ($20 per car), but includes in and out privileges.
The restaurant was great - a nice open space. The complimentary breakfast was also top notch - not some day-old rolls, but granola, milk, yogurt, fruit and meat and cheese. Also, was able to order eggs and/or pancakes.
Wasn't able to check out the pool - it was closed.
Also, I think there was some remodeling going on in the room next door, so you might want to ask about that when you make your reservation.

3 Thank Robin69
#6 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
Beverly Laurel Motor Hotel
#101 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to The Orlando Hotel? Share your experiences!