“great staff hotel is lacking ...”
Review of The Orlando Hotel

The Orlando Hotel
Ranked #29 of 358 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed January 14, 2014

The Orlando has a great staff that is beyond helpful the hotel is very dated. It is in a great location near the malls and the farmers market down by the Grove. There are many quaint restaurants just a few steps away. We loved TOAST for our breakfast.
There is a restaurant on the first floor that makes the upstairs smell like cooked food. The pool is incredibly small for such a large hotel. If you are on the front side of the hotel it can get very noisy fortunately we brought a small sound maker. I think the parking fee is ridiculous at $30 per day.
I think the price was high for the caliber of hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel are better because the front side can get very noisy.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed January 12, 2014

This is confirmed (twice) to be one of the worst hotels we had stayed so far. Nothing seems to work properly in this hotel. We booked a room with 2 queen beds for 4 of us (2 adults and 2 children). After check in, we realized that the room had a faulty air conditioning and we were offered a room with King size bed and a queen sofa bed as there were no other rooms available. Without any choice, we moved. The new room is not much better. The bathroom sliding door couldn't be closed. They had to send in 2 technicians to remove the entire door in order for it to be fixed. The sofa bed was so thin that you could feel spring coils. Coupled with poor acoustics (can hear so clearly the traffics though we were on highest floor), we had no good sleep for 3 nights. We checked out after 3 nights, scheduled to return again in more than a week later. The entire family was strongly against returning to this hotel. I convinced them to give the hotel another chance, especially it has such high rating on tripadvisor. I was so wrong. On our 2nd check in, we manage to get the 2 queen bedrooms. After ensuring that the air conditioning and the bathroom door worked properly, we unpacked and made ourselves comfortable. To our horror, we received no wifi and a bank confirmation that my credit card was charged twice by the Orlando hotel. We called the front desk who then confirmed that there is faulty wifi in the room. We were offered again to move into another room. We had to pack again and move into a new room. Imagine having to change rooms, each time, we checked into this hotel which we had never encounter before. On my credit card, I was informed that their system might have a bug which resulted in my credit card being charged twice. Offer has been made to call the bank to reverse one of the 2 charges.

It is just too stressful to stay in this hotel. I believe we deserve a better hotel than this.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank giz888
Sirley C, Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us on two occasions. As you stated, we pride ourselves on the level of service we provide to our guests and are grateful for the reviews we receive from our guests. We are also appreciative when we receive criticism as we find out what we need to improve on. I do apologize that you experienced multiple challenges during your two stays. If challenges do come up, we always try to do our best to get those issues solved and/or offer a quick move to another room if an issue cannot be resolved right away. Given the nature of the business and the constant stream of guests coming in and out of rooms, we may have challenges with equipment from time to time which we try to maintain on a timely fashion. My apologies once again that some of those challenges occurred during both of your stays. Our Front Office Manager, Sam and myself would love to discuss any of the issues listed and your feedback further if you would like to contact us directly.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My company's travel agency booked the hotel for my business trip to LA. I walked into the lobby and found the hostess to be super accommodating. Hotel is located in a good location -- a walk away from the Beverly Center and various restaurants, including Joan's, which has amazing brunch food. Neighborhood is not loud so you can have your peace after a long day.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I hated this hotel so much, I can't even express it all in words. Although the staff there was really great, everything else was awful. The wifi was the slowest I've ever used (and I started using the internet back in the dial-up days of 1994), the elevators were the slowest I've ever waited for, the room was stale and had ants, smelled like cigarette smoke, we were charged for the minibar, which we didn't use and they still won't take it off our bill. Stay away from this living stereotype of Beverly Hills phony douchiness.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sirley C, Manager at The Orlando Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear Matt P,

We would like to thank you for staying with us recently and we do hope that you enjoyed Los Angeles. Thank you for the kind words regarding our staff. We take great pride in the level of service that we provide our guests and that is what we feel brings them back to us time and time again. We are sad to hear that your stay was not up to par with what we usually like our guests to experience and wish this would have been communicated to us during your stay so that we could have taken steps to resolve those issues. We have a terrific internet service provider and they can promptly diagnose and fix any internet related issues remotely. I am guessing that since your stay occurred in January, you may have been here during the BCS championship game, during which the hotel was at capacity. During higher volume days, we may experience more activity in our guests coming in and out of the hotel and therefore guests may experience a slightly longer delay in accessing an elevator. Our Front Office Manager and I would love to discuss your stay and assist with the charge you are referring to more closely if you would be willing to contact us at your convenience.

Respectfully yours,
Sirley Cuevas
Director of Operations

Reviewed December 29, 2013

POSITIVE: My recent stay at the Orlando was great. You cannot beat the location and the ability to come and go from room to the street is with the greatest of ease! The staff is friendly and helpful....the restaurant is fantastic.......atmosphere is just perfect. Not too small, not too big.

NEGATIVE: Prior to arrival, I received a text message that said The Orlando was looking forward to my arrival the NEXT DAY. I was actually on the plane on the way to LAX. When I called the front desk was too busy to resolve my arrival problem. When we arrived, the rooms I had reserved in advance were not available, so we were told we were receiving an upgrade for one night....but we would have to move the next day. Horrible to not be able to settle in...and it was a great inconvenience which interrupted family activities. The insult was that they manager tried to blame ME........for their mistake. When I. produced a confirmation made direct with the Reservation Manager, there was no apology....just the same "blame the customer" attitude. Not what one expects from a Summit Hotel.......and "Leading Small Hotels". Management needs to take a new course in Customer Service.

Conclusion: Of course I would stay here again but I do expect to be treated with a lot more courtesy...it was their mistake, I didn't ask for a discount or anything else for the great inconvenience......but if the manager doesn't want to stand at the front desk to discuss his error, he should be trained to move the conversation to a more professional setting.......my problem was not everyone's else's problem. I am sure by now some of you will think I was creating a scene, however, I guarantee that was not true. Being told that I made the mistake, when the manager was aware of the HOTELs error is unacceptable.

Room Tip: The front rooms on the street can be noisy, but it is just a reminder there is a great life alive ou...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2013

You will not go wrong with the location of this property. In other words, you pay for what you get.

Parking is at a premium, so you will have to valet. If you are in for a short stay, you can just plan on walking to many of the places you will want to check out. The front desk staff was nice and I appreciated them putting a particular football game on in their TV/reading area on a Sunday morning before my departure.

My only negative is that the balcony door was not available to be opened, as it would have been nice to step outside to soak in the vibe. I had not heard of The Orlando prior to my stay, but glad I found out about it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I have been a guest at the Orlando I believe six times now, the staff has always been willing to go above and beyond to help with my needs. A special thanks to Johanna for always going the extra mile! A very well kept hotel and always clean.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo