“Small room but good value except for personal info security concerns”

Rodeway Inn Los Angeles
Ranked #202 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed November 13, 2013

The room was very small, but had all the amenities we needed. The price was right, and the location was convenient for our needs. Parking is underground and a little tricky to get into but OK.

The biggest issue is the practice of the hotel to take a photocopy of your driver's license and credit card. They claim to need this for the "Police, if they want to find out if someone stayed there" and they assured me I could get the paper copy back on checkout. Not true as they refused to give it to me citing that the Police want them to keep the record even though I complained vigorously. They finally gave me the credit card image, but would not part with the driver's license image.

I have made the main office of Rodeway Inns aware of this, but if anyone reading this is as worried as I am about personal identity theft, you should STAY AWAY from this property.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not close to the designated smoking nook on the second floor. People smoke, d...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David H

Reviewed November 12, 2013

I give this hotel only 4 stars because of the underground garage and the size of the room. I was actually impressed by the room itself. From the outside as I was driving up it didn't look that nice. I drove into the underground parking garage which is way too small to be considered a parking garage. I went inside to the lobby to check-in but the door was locked and there was no one at the window. I waited about 10 minutes and still no one showed up. It would've been nice to have a bell or something at the window to alert them when a customer is there waiting. We left and decided to drive around for something to eat and come back later. Trying to get out of the parking garage was scary. I own a nissan altima and if you have a car or truck bigger than that don't even think about parking in the garage because you may not come out without some scrapes. I was lucky but decided to park in the back when I returned which wasn't much better because there's a sign that says parking was only for the customers of the building next door. As for the room itself, I was more than satisfied. I will admit that I did look for stuff to write and complain about and I couldn't find anything. The room was tiny but my son and I enjoyed the cable on the flat screen tv and the free wi-fi. The covers and pillows were all clean and so was the bathroom. The room also had a microwave and refrigerator which came in handy. We stayed two nights. We were able to walk over to the park across the street for the Run For Her Ovarian cancer walk event on Sunday. It only took about 10 minutes which included waiting at the crosswalk. We didn't get up in time for the breakfast so I can't comment on that. The walls are thin but what do you expect from a hotel right next to a busy road like Beverly Blvd. We had a room facing the alley. The a/c was loud too but I didn't mind because the sound drowned out the outside noise and helped put me to sleep. The a/c worked well in fact a little too well because when we returned later that night the room was freezing. I would suggest they get bigger towels and more than one wash cloth per person. Yes I would recommend this hotel and I will definitely stay here again if I need to. It's across the street from Pan Pacific park and CBS studios. The Grove is in walking distance and the Beverly Center is about 1 1/2 miles down the street also.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We booked this motel for it's proximity to the CBS studios. It's not fancy at all and quite dated but it served our purpose for a short stay.
The room we had was on the 2nd floor and it was small. Odd layout - sink/mirror/counter not in washroom but in the main room. Whatever...it had a flat screen tv, complimentary wifi, fridge and microwave. Had a courtyard area with tables on ground level and one balcony on the second level which we enjoyed nightly.
Our room view was the gas station and CBS studio. It's not the area for views to begin with so didn't expect them.
This motel did offer limited breakfast items - the only fruit was oranges, oatmeal, limited bagels, bread, a waffle maker, coffee and tea. Vending machine for pop/snacks. Water cooler in lobby.
Walking distance to The Farmer's Market - lots of really great places to eat, grocery and transit.
Air conditioning is loud but works.
Walls are thin - heard things we didn't want to!!
The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful.
The property seems to be trying to keep up with repairs and updating.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I have to admit tha the rooms are in the small side. But the personnel make up for. They all are very friendly and customeer oriente. They are allways willing to help. I SPECIALLY LIKE TO THANK ROSARIO AND CRISTY FOR ALL THE HELP THEY HAVE PROVIDED ME. SUCH HOSPITALITY IS WELCOMED BY ME.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 28, 2013

All the "non-smoking" rooms smelled of smoke, causing me to have to move rooms several times. I was particularly sensitive because I was having surgery during my stay and informed them of this.

Extremely loud, banging maintenance on upstairs carpet began at 9am -- good luck if you needed some sleep!

Front desk ran an ozone machine for an hour in my second room in response to my smell complaint, then told me "ok to enter". Ozone run for an hour takes another hour to dissipate -- despite my repeated suggestions that this was a literally poisonous atmosphere, front desk assured me it was fine. I held my breath and read the label on the ozone machine -- it agreed with me that waiting another hour was absolutely necessary.

When I complained upon checkout (after three nights) front desk accused me of planning on complaining all along and that they could do nothing to make me happy. I said I would be perfectly happy with a 20% discount as an apology/consideration for the poor experience and they refused, saying I was just making up reasons to want a discount. Told me to call their corporate number with any complaints.

Worst customer service experience I've ever had.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Cromas
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay and here we found exactly what we were looking for. The rates were very reasonable, the rooms were quite small but they were clean and tidy. I was a bit worried after reading some of the reviews on here but it appears they are listening to customer feedback as our room had new carpets and was freshly painted! There was easy access to the buses which was great for us and it was a great location to visit the farmers market and the grove (both definitely worth a visit!). The staff were all nice and helpful and wifi was included too.

Overall we were happy with out stay and would recommend it if your looking for cheap and cheerful!

Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights and I got great rates of under $100 by just asking and talking to the manager. The two ladies at the front desk that I dealt with were both very nice. The first night I got a smoking room which was large but, smelled like stale smoke the second night was a smaller non smoking room. They were both clean and had everything I needed.
There was an added bonus that helped out with the price was the free breakfast bar. It was small but, my daughter and I filled up and ate outside in the courtyard right next to the water fountain.
You can't beat the location right across from CBS studios and The Grove/Farmers Market.
So for a few nights stay this place is a great no frills place to stay. I would recommend it for business trips. Not a great family place but, I only have a baby and circumstances did not allow me to stay at an expensive hotel. It was nice friendly and clean. Can't say enough good stuff about the front desk ladies they were wonderful and very sympathetic to my circumstance.

Room Tip: somking room was lots larger than the non smoking rioom. Both rooms that I had were next to each ot...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family