“Nice hotel, staff unhelpful”
Review of Hotel Angeleno

Ranked #43 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed March 3, 2008

When I arrived at the Angeleno at 2:45 p.m., they didn't have a room for me. Check-in was at 3, but I've never arrived at 2:45 somewhere with nothing available. No problem, I figured. I'll just change, take a dip in the pool for a few minutes, and I'll be all set. I came back in at 3:15, and they told me it would be at least another 30 minutes!

I changed again (in the lobby bathroom) and went for a run, asking that they comp my first night of parking ($18) for the inconvenience. When I returned, they led me to a double room, even though I had requested a king. They immediately accommodated my request to move to another room, but when I got there I found that the TV wasn't working.

By this time, I just wanted to take a shower and relax, but I needed to get this taken care of first. I called the front desk five times before they sent someone up.

The rest of my stay was really nice, but when they slid the bill under the door at the end of my stay, they neglected to comp one night of parking as they had promised. I brought this to their attention and came back later, and then they mistakenly comp'ed all three nights of parking. Which was nice for me, but interesting that they got even this wrong (although it was in my favor).

Overall, the staff was very pleasant, but they just seemed inept. I found out the reason I wasn't able to check in on time (I wasn't the only one -- the lobby was full of travelers waiting) is because they held a staff meeting right before check-in time. Not smart.

It's a nice place and would easily get four stars if they had their act together.

1  Thank chinBoston
Benjamin_Malmquist, Assistant General Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2008

Dear ChinBoston,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Angeleno, I want to thank you for taking the time to complete the customer satisfaction survey. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and I appreciate receiving your feedback.

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the check-in process. Please accept my sincere apologies as I can appreciate that this was a serious disruption during your stay. We have immediately implemented methods to ensure that there are no further instances of unresponsiveness on our part. I am at your service if there is anything further that I can do as we remedy the problem.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can improve. It is important to us that we take the feedback given to us by our guests as a tool to improve so that we continue to exceed your expectations.

Please feel free to call me directly at 310-481-7817 if I can ever be of assistance.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Angeleno

Reviewed February 25, 2008

LA can be a tough place to visit. If you are close to one thing, you are impossibly far from somewhere else. The Hotel Angeleno splits the difference about as well as you could. Nestled between Brentwood and Westwood, it is convenient to much of the city. Everything else seems closer b/c you are right on the 405.

The hotel has a "W" look and feel. Very nice. The roof bar/restaurant is a huge plus that should not be overlooked. Half price happy hour drinks allow you to take in the 405 traffic jam that stretches as far as the eye can see -- if you can forget the environmental impact, it's quite beautiful.

One drawback: there is no concierge. So, you are on your own for dinner.

1  Thank Keithcu

Dear Keithcu,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

Please feel free to call me directly at 310-481-7817 as I will always be at your service.

Reviewed February 18, 2008

Very cute and hip. Rooms are small but darling. THey said we had 2 queens but it was definately 2 doubles. Bathrom small. Not enough towels. Had a freeway side room but wasn't that bad noise wise. Lounge up tp was GREAT. Food was delicious. Pretty expenisve, but it is LA. Bed veryt comfy. Why don;t they just put parking in the price of the room? Great location. Close to Rodeo and Robertson. Would stay again.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends

Dear Danni0005,

Reviewed February 17, 2008

The Angeleno is a totally cool renovation of a former Holiday Inn. The round 17-story building is a landmark right at the junction of I-405 and Santa Monica Blvd. It’s really well located for bopping all over the city, in your car, of course. You even need a car to get to the Getty Museum, practically across the street.
The rooms (all exactly the same, a la Holiday Inn) are utterly generic boutique-hotel style…all browns, creams, modern, spare. Frankly, they’re pretty boring and unoriginal, BUT they’re much snappier than a traditional Holiday Inn, and they do have all the au courrent bells and whistles.
We were only there for one night and didn’t have a chance to use the pool which is very glam. The restaurant is on the top floor and must have a sweet view. Missed that too, but our room service lunch arrived speedily and was very good. We also appreciated the little coffee/news bar off the lobby.
The only down side was the noise from the major freeways. There may be quieter rooms facing the Getty. Otherwise, bring ear plugs (always a good idea anywhere you stay

Dear Dancingnancy,

Reviewed February 16, 2008

I'll start with the good - the bed is really comfortable and the staff is kind. The rooms are pretty nice. I definitely had some issues, though.

Noise: I originally was in a room on the 9th floor overlooking the freeway. I went right back downstairs and asked for another room because it sounded like I was in the middle of the freeway. I got moved to a different room on a lower floor that faced the front of the hotel and away from the freeway, but I could still hear the traffic loud and clear throughout the day and the night. I also could hear my neighbors flushing their toilets and drying their hair, as well as the ice machine down the hall. I barely slept the first night, called downstairs to speak with a manager about changing rooms again, but the manager hadn't arrived yet. I asked to have the manager call upon arrival...five days later, I'm about to check out and still haven't heard anything. I would've checked out, but I got the hotel through Hotwire and ahd already paid for it.

The Security: On my last night at the hotel, my keycard demagnetized. I went downstairs, and the person behind the desk just asked me what room I was in and gave me a new key. She did not ask for ID. I don't care if my mother were behind the desk, I would've wanted her to ask for ID. It made me a little nervous to think that anyone could go down there and say they were staying in any room and get a key to any room...

Rips in the Sheets: I couldn't believe it when I read about ripped sheets in another review before coming, especially at hotel that is almost $300/night, but sure enough, there were rips in the duvet and in the fitted sheet. The rip in the fitted sheet extended from the foot of the bed to the middle of the bed.

The Cafe: A bagel and a small bottle of orange juice costs $7.00. And the bagel wasn't even that good.

Dear Freqtrav02,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with the room noise, linen, and hotel security. Please accept my sincere apologies as I can appreciate that this was a serious disruption during your stay. We have immediately implemented methods to ensure that there are no further instances of unresponsiveness on our part. I am at your service if there is anything further that I can do as we remedy the problem.

Reviewed February 6, 2008

Spent my 60th birthday on the 24/01/08 at the Angeleno, the room was lovely, the staff really helpful, I would like to personally thank Lesly and Christina on the front desk, Matthew conciege and Mary Manager of the restaurant for their extreme kindness when I lost my camera and very helpful in providing lovely birthday gifts and getting us sorted out with trips etc. It was a shame about the weather but being British we are used to that.

Many thanks again to Mary for being especially helpful in locating Camera shops for me to purchase another one in Las Vegas.

If I ever return to Los Angeles I will certainly stop at the Angeleno and will also recommend this hotel to my friends.

Wonderful people.

Many thanks.

Melanie Parkin and Pat Gadd

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sixty48
Benjamin_Malmquist, Assistant General Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2008

Dear Sixty48,

On behalf of all of us at the Hotel Angeleno, I want to thank you for taking the time to complete the customer satisfaction survey. I wanted to follow up with you personally, as you are a most valued client and I appreciated receiving your feedback.

Reviewed January 29, 2008

Since we just got back from Cabo San Lucas (my husband's b-day gift) , I booked this at the last minute (the day before arrival) at the hotel's website & enrolled in their free program. As stated, they gave a complimentary wine upon arrival & additional chocolates. The staff was very accommodating and as I had requested on their form prior to arrival, they ensured that I got a room away from the freeway side. The room was small in comparison to other hotels (approx. same size of a balcony suite you would get on a cruise line), but they maximized it as best as they could - considering there's only so much allocated square footage available in this circular hotel.

PROS: The bed was very comfortable especially with the thread count of the sheets. The staff were courteous and quick to response to our needs. Our porsche got flooded during the rain and they help us dried it off. AAA got there promptly within 5 min. of the call and the hotel called us immediately when they got there.

CONS: Room was adequately window paned against the outside noise, however the room walls were not. We heard the next door room giggling as if our door and their door was open. No free parking to stay there - it is $18 per night (tip not included).

As for the West Restaurant on the top floor of the hotel (17th floor), the view was exceptional and so was the decor especially at the lounge area. It's much better than the Bonaventure. However it does not rotate. We've been to similar types of restaurant - the stratosphere in Las Vegas, the Bonaventure & 555 at downtown Los Angeles and the only rotating restaurant in Niagara Falls (Canada side). The food here was exceptional - the $62 porterhouse was scrumptious. However, it is pricy since everything is a la carte ($17 for gnocchi and $14 anitpasta appetizers & $7 for mushrooms and $9 for the macaroni & cheese). The martinis, Long Island Ice Tea & their Vavaroom drink were $12 each. The minimum price for their bottle of red wine was $55. Our meal costs more than the hotel price, but it was worth it. The waiter had a great attitude - sometimes you don't get that, and when that happens, not only do I give them a penny for their tip but I also make it aware to the owners/establishment manager. Sometimes, they forget that tip is earned and not a mandatory 20% entitlement.

For a special occasion and nearby romantic getaway, I would recommend this hotel & restaurant. Our experience was based on our attitude - we enjoyed each other's company & we got what we paid for.

If you're planning to stay there during February, here's their special: http://www.jdvhotels.com/specials/losangeles

Package Includes:

* One-night hotel stay
* 4-course Aphrodisiac Dinner at West
* Copy of the book entitled Fork Me, Spoon Me
* Jar of Bootie Parlor Chocolate Melt
* Gift box of strawberries to experiment with
* Bottle of sparkling wine
* One Pay-Per-View Movie

$275 double occupancy, not including room occupancy tax.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple