“Pretty good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #46 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Ipswich
“Pretty good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

Hotel Angeleno is located fairly centrally for most of LA. It’s by Highway 405 where Sunset Blvd crosses it. You can see the hotel from the highway from quite a distance because of its distinctive round tower shape. Access is pretty easy from any direction but 405 is very busy much of the day and a tad daunting after a long drive from Vegas.
Arriving at the hotel for a two night stay we found free valet parking, with drop-off right outside the lobby. Check-in was pleasant and the young lady seemed genuinely interested in making sure we knew where everything was. She also invited us to a free wine reception that evening.
The hotel layout is slightly unusual because of the round tower construction. Our room was pleasant but it did have an un-aired smell on arrival. It wasn’t a huge room but quite big enough. It had a nice desk and a big comfortable bed. The bathroom was quite adequate too. The room also had a small balcony but it was too small to be of any real use apart from taking a quick look at the view. If you have children in the room then you definitely don’t want them out there.
In the room were a coffee maker, mini-bar, iron, hair dryer, safe and the other usual bits and pieces. There was also free wifi Internet, though no wired access.
We went down to the lobby for a couple of glasses of complementary wine, which was nice. Slightly more social people than us might have chatted to some other guests and made new friends. We used the time to wander around with our wine and check out the pool area. It seemed nice, with lots of places to relax and the pool was large enough for a short swim. There’s also a fitness suite.
We ate in the top-floor restaurant and it was very good. I had a shellfish medley dish that was excellent. The wine was good too. The view is out over the highway and on to downtown LA. We also ate breakfast here and that was good too.
There were a few minor niggles during our stay: Tea seems to be a scarce resource here. There is none in the room and when I called the lobby for some they said I couldn’t have any. Room service carefully gave out one tea bag and even the restaurant only provided one teabag with breakfast. My wife continued to insist there was a stale smell to the room and/or towels during our stay, though I couldn’t detect it. The hotel’s location is great for driving to somewhere but there is nothing at all within walking distance.
In summary, the Angeleno is a good hotel and we enjoyed our stay. However there wasn’t really anything that stood out enough to tempt us back again.

Room Tip: If the noise from the highway is going bother you then ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Richard-Ipswich
Dear Richard-Ipswich

Good point about the tea. We will make sure to have that second bag in the rooms. Most of our guests enjoy the complimentary coffee, and we certainly didn't mean to leave the tea drinkers out.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (465)
  • Finnish first
Forest Hill, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

In anticipation of our first trip to LA, I made reservations at the Hotel Angeleno for November, 2011. I called to speak with the concierge regarding any & all activities my family would be interested in, knowing we were going to have to hit the ground running on our whirlwind 3 day trip! I was literally astounded at the superior customer service I received from the hotel's greatest asset, a sweetheart of a gem, Knicole!! She was like a member of our family looking out for our best interest with all the activities we wanted to do! She thoroughly reviewed all the tours the hotel offers in detail, specialty restaurants , off the beaten path eccentric places, sites where the locals go, investigated the LA Laker's schedule, Michael Jackson things to do, etc., etc.. It is rare to find this exceptional customer service anywhere these days! I hope that Knicole's managers, Scott Gordon & Rick Gluth, value this outstanding employee and that they will share this with Knicole.
If the Hotel Angeleno is anything like the excellent customer service I received over the phone...we've got it made!!! Thank You and I look forward to staying at the Hotel Angeleno and meeting Knicole in November! Sincerely, T. Miranda

***Please note I was unable to submit without a date. Nov 2011 was not available, so I was forced to choose Nov 2010.***

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear trip41143

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Knicole, and it sounds like you are in for a very fun visit. She was thrilled that you wrote this Trip Advisor. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

Holmdel, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Stayed here with my two teenage sons and found it terrific. It's is a convenient location
and while it is right off the freeway and can be noisy at the pool, in your room you do not
hear a thing. In addition to the free, friendly valet service, we also requested a microwave and a small fridge which there was no charge for. The hotel is hip but warm.
Staff was great and for the price, a great value.

Room Tip: We liked the rooms with view of LA
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mike L
Dear Mike L,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the value of the hotel, the staff, and the service. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

The rooms and beds are so wonderful, great luxury and wonderfully relaxing.
Dinner at the West in the hotel was very good.
Just a few minutes away from Santa Monica and ocean!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Dear Lathrops

Thank you very much for your positive comments about the hotel. I will share your kind words with the entire team at the Hotel Angeleno. At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know that we have exceeded your expectations during your visit with us.

West Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Handy to explore the Hollywood, Universal etc tourist areas. Very close to the Getty. Fantastic views from the tp floor bar, dining area. Hotel is basically on the 405. Ensure you get a room not facing the highway, otherwise it is noisy. Easy to reach from LAX

Room Tip: Get a room facing the pool direction
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Hello Guest,

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

Many of the hotels in LA were either fully booked or ridiculously expensive the week I needed to go there. I booked a room at the Hotel Angeleno through Hotwire because I got a good price for a 3 1/2 star hotel. Overall my stay was somewhere between poor and really bad. The service was terrible - my room when I checked in was missing several things (coffee maker (but coffee was there), ice bucket, room service menu, etc.). It took me 45 minutes and three attempts to get a room service menu so I could order dinner. When I went back to the hotel the second night after work the coffee maker and ice bucket were gone and I had to have them brought to the room again for the second day in a row.

The room service food was not very well cooked and was not very warm when it got to me.

My small room was so close to the 405 that it felt like my bed was in the middle of the highway. The air conditioner was insanely loud and didn't cool very well.

The hotel location is terrible. There is nothing nearby and the 405 makes access a pain in the neck.

Needless to say, I will not be back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BryceQ
Dear BryceQ ,

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

I apologize for the issues you had at the hotel, with the items missing from your room. I have passed your comments on to our Executive Chef and to our Executive Housekeeper to ensure these things don't happen again.

At Joie de Vivre Hospitality, we pride ourselves in providing unique hospitality experiences and superior service. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your stay and how we can improve.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Very desapointed about it. I stayed there for a week last month and i would never do it again. To make a long story short I can say: this place is a kingdom of dust, with rock pillows in a tiny room!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Scott1111, Manager at Hotel Angeleno, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
Dear Fabianars

Thank you very much for your comments about the hotel.

I am so sorry you had some issues with housekeeping. I have passed your comments along to our Executive Housekeeper.