“Brilliant staff, but noisy floorboards!”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Century Park Hotel

Century Park Hotel
Ranked #96 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
london
“Brilliant staff, but noisy floorboards!”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I hate to leave anything other than a glowing review because the staff here were just superb. We were staying with a few other family members and before travelling had exchanged emails with the manager about a few local amenities and he really did go above and beyond what was required.

When we arrived they continued to be very friendly and helpful, arranging transport for us and even helping us with the not insignificant task of getting all of our luggage into a car which was far to small to take all of us and the bags! I really can't criticise the treatment we received in the slightest.

LA is not really a city designed to be walked around - but this is only a few minutes wander from a Westfield with plenty of higher end stores and bars / restaurants - otherwise its a short drive from most of the major Hollywood / Beverly Hills tourist attractions / shops. There is also a big "Ralphs" Supermarket opposite if you want to save a few pennies instead of going out.

The "complimentary" breakfast is certainly not a gourmet affair, but there aren't any nice cafes in the immediate area, so as a quick morning bite it was actually fine - saw us through until lunch anyway.

Our room was lovely - Big bed with 2 soft and 2 firm pillows. A fridge and a microwave, nice size bathroom with a good shower. Big LCD TV with Cable. Air Con (Not that we needed it) and most importantly for me - Blackout curtains! I can't fault the cleaners, the place was immaculate, even after we left it in a bit of a mess (I must apologise as I forgot to tip!).

The only criticism I have to offer is unfortunately a significant one for me. Inexplicably in what is surely a purpose built hotel, there appear to be wooden floors. The guy above us was walking around until late at night and when you have jet lag and just want to sleep, the squeak of the floorboards was a real annoyance.

If you are a deep sleeper, this is the perfect hotel - if not, try to get a room on the top floor (Think they are only suites though), then your noise is somebody elses problem!

Room Tip: Go for the top floor to avoid the squeaky floorboards, avoid the city view - it's more expensive...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Under isolated events, we may fall short of exceeding our guest expectations. I have passed your comments on to the Corporate Office. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I stayed in this Holiday Inn hotel for 8 days with my family and we had such a great experience with the whole staff from the breakfast staff to the front desk clerks. They were all very friendly and helpful. We didn't know the area so they helped us get through and we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I have one person named Rozi that works in this hotel to thank for. Rozi was wonderful to us. She helped us find our way around and just too too friendly and lovely. I will always remember her sweet adorable face.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We couldn't have said it better! Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
Philadelphia
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was stuck in Anaheim on biz and called H.I. corporate (prior to 6pm) to cancel my reservation.

They said I had to call the hotel directly. Gentleman who answered said he had to call Manager. Came back and told me that they would not honor my request and that I would be billed over $400 for the 2 rooms for my work colleague and myself if we did not show. So, we drove all the way BACK to L.A. (from Anaheim) . I advised him that it was his choice to make me do so, but that I would be sure to tell as many people as possible of their choice. Apparently, he was not swayed. By the way, it's not like my reservation was keeping them from booking someone else - the place was relatively empty that Thurs. night in March.

I find the fact that they were totally INFLEXIBLE discouraging. Yes, one can sight "policy", but please. IF their aim was to get their money while totally inconveniencing a Priority Club GOLD Member, well they accomplished their goal.

Be wary of booking this hotel if you are a business traveler whose plans tend to change.

BTW, I gave H.I. corporate an opportunity to respond and all they did was site "policy".

BobS in PA

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about our Holiday Inn Express - Century City Hotel. Under isolated events, we may fall short of exceeding our guest expectations. I have passed your comments on to the Corporate Office. All feedback is necessary for us to continue to improve.
Santa Clara, California
Reviewed March 30, 2013

A big thanks to Rozi! She was so friendly and helpful. She made my stay so memorable by upgrading my regular room to a 2-floor suite upon knowing that I'm a platinum member of priority club. No question asked and I didn't even need to show my membership card. Amazing customer service. I would recommend staying there to other travelers.
Thanks again Rozi.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Fullerton, California, United States
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Rozi was so friendly and made sure my stay there was excellent! There were other employees working 3-23 and 3-24 that were amazing as well. For the customer service, and the free breakfast, I would suggest staying there to anyone!

Room Tip: Ask if all the room's beds block the bathroom door from opening all the way. It was impossible...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was not expecting a high end place. The outlets in the room to plug in chargers etc. were very inconveniently located and there werent many of them. The shower curtain was too small for the shower. The a/c unit was mounted near the ceiling so when it turned on it blew right down on the beds. The complimentary breakfast was absolutely horrible. The staff was very friendly. I would not go back there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2013

While i am writing this i still have another 1,5 nights stay in this hotel but after this morning incidents i felt that i needed to move out as quick as possible, supposedly this should be an enjoyable holiday for my wife, me and our 2 kids, this is the first time we were back in la in 16 years. We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights, we decided our last 2 nights here moving to a bigger room with a loft room 409 to be exact. We came back late at 11:45pm, went to our room, got cleaned up , to our surprised we recieved a call from front desk about noise complain from guest staying a room directly below us a floor down, at first we thought maybe we were making bit noises with the kids went to the restroom and.so.forth so.we deciced our best to try to.walk reall slow and not making too.much of a noise, to our amazed we recieved a second call, now we were getting confused and worried because we walk regulary only to the bathroom and we had to walk in our room, after the second called we found ourself tip toeing while walking. To our surprised the hotel staff knocked on our door we were approached and told if another complain came he would have inform the manager and called the police to escort us out the premises. Now we were getting more confused and horrified , i mean we couldn't even walk in our own room can't even use the bathroom??? My wife and i didn't even got a chance to clean up. We were especially concerned with our kids since they couldn't even cope or understand of why they couldn' t even walk reguraly since were told not to make too much noises, this is really bad, we paid for something that can' t even guaranteed our basic rights to use the toilet and to walk around our own room, it was really ridiculous and bad , we were also told by the hotel staff this is how the do stuff in america the person who was complaining was entitled to something , told the staff that we were confused of why we couldn't even walk as a normal human beings and use the toilets in our own room...this is really bad wish that what happened to us should never happened to anyonelse especially tourists..

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank jaeven
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear jaeven,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I sincerely regret that this particular visit was a disappointment due to the service received from our staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.