“Just ok” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Just ok”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

I was not expecting a high end place. The outlets in the room to plug in chargers etc. were very inconveniently located and there werent many of them. The shower curtain was too small for the shower. The a/c unit was mounted near the ceiling so when it turned on it blew right down on the beds. The complimentary breakfast was absolutely horrible. The staff was very friendly. I would not go back there.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
General M, Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback about our Holiday Inn Express - Century City Hotel. Under isolated events, we may fall short of exceeding our guest expectations. I have passed your comments on to the Corporate Office. All feedback is necessary for us to continue to improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

While i am writing this i still have another 1,5 nights stay in this hotel but after this morning incidents i felt that i needed to move out as quick as possible, supposedly this should be an enjoyable holiday for my wife, me and our 2 kids, this is the first time we were back in la in 16 years. We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights, we decided our last 2 nights here moving to a bigger room with a loft room 409 to be exact. We came back late at 11:45pm, went to our room, got cleaned up , to our surprised we recieved a call from front desk about noise complain from guest staying a room directly below us a floor down, at first we thought maybe we were making bit noises with the kids went to the restroom and.so.forth so.we deciced our best to try to.walk reall slow and not making too.much of a noise, to our amazed we recieved a second call, now we were getting confused and worried because we walk regulary only to the bathroom and we had to walk in our room, after the second called we found ourself tip toeing while walking. To our surprised the hotel staff knocked on our door we were approached and told if another complain came he would have inform the manager and called the police to escort us out the premises. Now we were getting more confused and horrified , i mean we couldn't even walk in our own room can't even use the bathroom??? My wife and i didn't even got a chance to clean up. We were especially concerned with our kids since they couldn't even cope or understand of why they couldn' t even walk reguraly since were told not to make too much noises, this is really bad, we paid for something that can' t even guaranteed our basic rights to use the toilet and to walk around our own room, it was really ridiculous and bad , we were also told by the hotel staff this is how the do stuff in america the person who was complaining was entitled to something , told the staff that we were confused of why we couldn't even walk as a normal human beings and use the toilets in our own room...this is really bad wish that what happened to us should never happened to anyonelse especially tourists..

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jaeven
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear jaeven,

Thank you for posting a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I sincerely regret that this particular visit was a disappointment due to the service received from our staff. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Once again, thank you and my apologies for the inconvenience.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Dear Reader,

Note: this is my second attempt at writing this review.
my first try and writing the rewview contained exact copies of communications between myself and the hotel, but trip advisor told me that was not allowed - so this is an alternate version but contains the same complaint.

===============================

This review is purely based on an email received from the hotel in question.

Background:
I am planning a third world trip, and as part of this planning, I email all hotels before hand asking specific questions to clarify what is NOT on their website, and to get a general feel for how the hotel deals with its customers and to see if they are able to meet my requirement.

My email politely contained a request for general information such as:
* How do I get to your hotel from LAX using public transport?
* How long does it take by public transport?
* How hard is it to get to with public transport
- Rodeo drive
- Los Angeles
- Santa Monica

as well as questions such as:
* Do you have any "package deals"(holiday specials?) where breakfast is included? or pay for 5 nights get the 6th night free?
* How much notice do you need in order to book a room?
* What type of credit card do you accept?
* Can I make a booking via email?
* Do you have internet access at the hotel? And is it free?
* Can you tell me anything else about your hotel that would assist me in selecting it? like how close bus services are
* How much are the rooms based on the requirements below? between the months of May, June, July
* Can you please confirm if your hotel can handle the following booking requirements
- non smoking room
- 2 seperate "double beds" in the one room

The response that I received from the General Manager in round about terms was

"go to our website and read it yourself"

I mean seriously! What kind of customer service is that? from the General Manager of all people?

Understandable, he is the GM and he is probably busy, but that does not excuse this?

The questions that I asked were not unreasonable or a hugely over burdening request for information.

What he should have done was get someone from the front desk to handle this sort of email if he was too busy, instead of this sort of reply!

Not even a "Thank you for contacting our us and requesting information about our hotel"

As an international traveler, getting to my hotel after a long flight, in a strange city is not easy, and finding this information out BEFORE I go helps to ease this burden.

The rating was only provided on "service" and no other item as I physically did not get to the hotel but thought that this review might help people who are researching like I am.

on a final an additional note: since this is my second attempt at this, I am able to provide the reader with an additional bit of information, I researched a little more on this hotel, hoping that this might have been a once off, "the guys is having a bad day" thing, but I noticed that when i looked at "terrible" reviews on tripadvior - the hotel gives a generic "im sorry, we will pass it onto another department that cares even less then this one" message.

All the best and travel safe.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank abyssau
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear abyssau,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff which was unacceptable. We will look into this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Westbrook, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

A great staff can't make a bad hotel good but they can make an okay hotel very good. That's the case here. A friend and I stayed here over the weekend. We were both upgraded to a better room and greeted very nicely. I think the person's name was Rosi. She and the gentleman at the front desk treated us like they were actually glad to see us - not just people checking in and out. The person staffing the breakfast room was really on top of her job. One real benefit of this hotel was the valet parking - very, very fast service. While the outside of this hotel isn't impressive, the location was very nice for walking.

Room Tip: Compare the cost of this hotel to the Hyatt Century City. It's certainly not as glitzy as the H...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your positive feedback about our Holiday Inn Express - Century City Hotel. We work very hard to deliver excellent service that is both warm and relaxed every day, for every guest, every stay. Your feedback makes it all worth it.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

stayed there for a week with two couples. every one on staff, without exception, from reception to housekeeping, food service and valet, was extremely helpful and friendly. the rooms are large and in good condition, and the overall impression is one of a four star hotel (it is a three star)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
General M, Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I visited the Holiday Inn Express in Century City on a business trip in February 2013. I was not looking forward to 13 nights in a hotel, however, when I arrived, my outlook instantly became brighter. The front desk greeted me warmly (which was exactly what I needed after a day of traveling), and recommended the grocery store across the street when I asked where I could get a quick bite to eat.

The room I stayed in was perfect. Unlike many hotels in which I've stayed, the room was both wide and long, making it easy to navigate and giving me a significant amount of room in which to move around. The room boasted a comfortable bed, a desk with a char, a dresser, chair, footrest, and an area with a fridge and microwave. Because of the smart division of in-room amenities, it felt like I was staying in a suite.

Awesome location, walking distance to Santa Monica Blvd, UCLA, and the Century CIty Mall. I was able to see a lot of different areas of West LA on foot, which is great when traveling for business. The area seemed pretty safe, too.

The service here is great. All of the front desk employees were great; specifically, Rozi always made me feel like I was coming home to friends instead of coming back to a hotel. She was welcoming and courteous, always asking about my day and making sure to accommodate in any way possible. One day, she asked if I were headed out for a walk, and handed me a water bottle so I wouldn't become dehydrated on my trip. That little detail helps depict my entire stay--they definitely go above and beyond to make you feel at home.

I'd definitely recommend this place when in the area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We couldn't have said it better! Our first time guest's frequently find our hotel and instantly get to know our entire hotel, staff and accommodations like their own home. We strive to provide accommodations that exceed our guest expectations on every visit, every day for every guest. Your positive feedback makes it all worth our efforts.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed here for nine nights in Feb 2013. The stay was very relaxing and easy going. Troy at the front desk went above and beyond to help us out with whatever we needed, he's very friendly and easy going and made our stay that much more pleasant.
Thanks Dan