“Wow-- a great surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Wow-- a great surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I was traveling with a colleague for business-- and when the company is paying, I usually stay at the Intercontinental (just up the street), but with 2 people, 2 cars to park, and a weeklong stay, having the HIX experience seemed to be better all around. (For those not familiar, HIX has free wi-fi, free breakfasts, and-- in this case-- valet parking for 15 a day with in-and-outs. All stuff you'd pay heavily for at the ICH.) I saw the pictures of the queen loft suite, and it seemed too weird to pass up, so I booked 2 of them.

We had suites 403 and 415. 415 was bigger, but not by much, and the view was not worth the extra 10 bucks a nite. Both had a ridiculous amount of room-- a full sitting area on the first level, which made it very easy to have meetings. (Of course, I as a parent, I was thinking it would be awesome with kids, plenty of room to move, and separate sleeping area-- not something you get in a trad room.) The spiral staircase led up to a queen bed placed in a serene, blue-painted space, with another huge TV.

Some nuts and bolts for the power readers: There is a Ralphs grocery store directly across the street, which has a good stock of small sized items that work well for a short stay. It's on Olympic, the easier way to get across town (than doing Santa Monica Blvd.) As someone else noted, valet parking is super-fast. Breakfast had a good variety but is crammed into a tiny space. There was some work happening in the space-- it might be newly renovated/constructed?-- but nothing bothersome.

As much as I love the luxe of the Intercontinental, we'll be staying here from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank punkinpie11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I was traveling for business and this hotel was the most convienent for me. I was very impressed by the staff, my room and the continental breakfast. They have a great variety of breakfast options and keep the breakfast area clean and stocked. I also slept great and had a very nice big bathroom.
The only negative was that the elevator was very slow, so i always had to wait for the elevator, no matter what time of day.
I was impressed by how quick the valet was able to bring my car around each morning, i never waited more than 2-3 minutes.
It is also so convienent to the Century City mall that has great eating options and great shopping.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank InterestedTravler
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I searched the Beverly Hills area to get a state employee rate because I had to go there for business. Holiday Inn Express on Olympic Blvd was the only place I could find. Upon arrival, the front desk people were warm and welcoming, commenting on my great rate. The room was very clean and comfortable. The bed was great and everything worked. The lcoation was perfect for my needs. I wouls easily return when I am in the area. Breakfast was offered with the room, but I chose to go to Nate 'n Al's, my favorite breakfast place in Beverly Hills.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank CaliforniaLeslie
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

Cheap Hotel at a good location
amateur staff
decent enough to stay for a day or two
breakfast was good
Clean rooms

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank pkil
Thompsonville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Stumbled upon this hotel when trying to find a room for the night without a reservation. We checked in fairly late (after 9:30 PM) and were able to secure two rooms at a very fair rate. The gentleman checking us in was unflappable checking us in, answering the phone, and fielding a couple of questions from others in the lobby.

Our rooms were on the second floor; ours was handicap accessible and really large. My sis' room was still roomy. We had a bit of an issue figuring out the shower, but after fiddling managed just fine.

We were able to walk to BJ's up at Century City and they were open until midnight on a Thursday. A movie theater was next to BJ's as well.

Beds were comfortable and the AC wasn't too loud and really cranked out the cool air. Breakfast in the morning was amazing for being complimentary. There were cold cereals, yogurt, pancakes, omletes, sausage, sausage gravy & biscuits, some fresh fruit, and a few baked goods. Juices were also available. We had a great conversation with others sitting in the room as well.

Room Tip: When a rate is presented, be sure to ask if any discounts are available. We were able to save $40/r...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank upnorth98
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2011

This is a wonderful little hotel, great location, WONDERFUL staff...enormous room. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank RebeccaMu
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2011

My first impression of this hotel was not a great one, on entering the second floor corridor there was a very unpleasant smell, quite musty, reminding me of a damp old soiled carpet, and my instinct was to turn and run. I was, however too tired and desperate for sleep.

I am pleased to say that the smell was not permanent, but the was still an occasional unpleasant odor. This is noticeable when exiting the elevator which is next to the stairs so perhaps this is where the smell is coming from.... Perhaps people smoking in the car park or other smells coming from there?

I am glad that I did stay. The staff were friendly and extremely helpful, the bed was comfortable, with a choice of pillow softness, the shower was hot and refreshing. My room was a very good size. The location is fantastic... Just across the road from Century City, 2 close supermarkets to stock your fridge if you wish. Close to the farmers market at Fairfax and 3rd for great fruit and vegetables. 5 minutes from the Beverly Hills shopping areas.
Not too far from the beaches, Hollywood or downtown. Easy access to public transport.

My only negatives (once the smell dissipated) are the tacky fake flowers everywhere, especially the single white ones which have dusty and discoloured gel, making it look moldy - use fresh flowers or don't bother. Also the extreme waste of supplies and the cost to the environment, my 2 soaps were thrown away and replaced every day, and the toilet paper was changed way before required several times when I was here, even though there is a second roll in the bathroom in case you run out - save the environment and please only replace supplies as required.

I would stay here again, loved the location, some really good staff members (Troy, Michael, Gloria and Sophia were all personally helpful to me), and the price was quite good.

Room Tip: I mentioned that I needed extra space when checking in and preferred a shower over a bath, they happ...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Aly0808
gm_hie_centurycity, General Manager at Century Park Hotel, responded to this review, July 30, 2011
Thank you so much for taking time to give us your feedback. I apologize for the odor we did have a water spillage in our hallway on the second floor and we were getting it dry when you arrived. I truly appreciate all of our comments and will take action on them. We want our guests to have an exceptional experience and your comments give us that opportunity.