“LOVED IT!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 349 Hotels in Los Angeles
Bath
“LOVED IT!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2007

I recently stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for a “once in a lifetime” holiday. I traveled with my Mother and 2 friends all the way from Bath, UK. While we didn’t enjoy LA as much as we thought we would, we have to applaude this excellent hotel. For us, it made our holiday. We stayed in a lovely suite with a balcony overlooking the pool. The apartment itself had everything we needed(And the comfiest bed I have ever slept in). It was fantastic being able to take a late night swim or being able to sit by the poolside In the day being served ice lollies. The hotel was also so close to Hollywood Boulevard, the walk of fame and a lot of big attractions. It is also close to the metro station so its easy to get to places such as “Universal Studios”. Now, I had read how great the staff were but I never expected how amazing and kind they ALL were. Every single employee helped us somehow or another, they were very keen to help us with directions when we wanted to go somewhere and always asked if we needed anything. Our “favorite” was Sean, who came up to help us when we had problems and then made us a “goodie bucket” for when we were watching the films. If the manager reads this, please make sure Sean knows we were very grateful to him. In conclusion, I’d like to say that the Magic Castle Hotel has been my favourite hotel I’ve ever stayed in and would thoroughly recommend it if you’re staying in the LA area.

• Liked — The fantastic staff, the pool, pretty much everything.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank alwaysbeenyou
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 3, 2007
The manager is reading this!
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Shawn IS amazing! I can't wait to share your comments with him and the entire staff today.
On behalf of our entire staff, we look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

What a fantastic hotel. Our suite was huge, like a home away from home, and very comfortable. The location is excellent. And how cool is the pool. But the stand out feature of this hotel is the friendly and personalised service - the staff go above and beyond and with pleasure - a truly rare phenomenon. They all go the extra mile. This was the 10th hotel in which we stayed in the previous 5 weeks and won our favour for all the little things that make such a big difference. It's also great value, especially with the generous complimentary continental breakfast. We would defiinitely stay again and recommend to others.

• Liked — The service, the little extras, complimentary breakfast and internet
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank PeepsPiper
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

The Magic Castle Hotel was fantastic! It was like a little oasis with the hotel surrounding a central, sparkling pool. The staff was wonderful and very accommodating, the room was light and bright and spacious, and also very clean and comfortable. The location is convenient to everything and is even walking distance to some great attractions (including the Magic Castle itself). Overall I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting LA.

• Liked — The Pool and the service
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
Didcot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

We stayed here for the first two days of our honeymoon in November 2006.

The location for access to Hollywood sites was fantastic - very close
to the Chinese Mann theatre and Hollywood walk of fame. As it was so close to Hollywood Bld it also meant easy access to the Metro

Our room was really nicely decorated and was clean - plenty of room for all of our bags! The beds were big and comfortable. The pool area
also seemd nice, we did eat breakfast out there but unfortunately it was too cold for a dip!

The thing that set this place apart from a lot of the other hotels on
our Honeymoon was the staff. Every single person that we dealt with was pleasant and courteous and so helpful. From recommending places to visit and eat, to arranging transport, we really couldnt' have asked for anything more.

Although this hotel may not be very swanky, if you want to stay somewhere that really treats it guests well - then this is the place!

Also they recommend a restaurant "Yamashiro". We would also recommend
it, the hotel staff take you up to it and also collect you. The view across LA at night is breathtaking and the food is pretty good to! Would definitely recommend the crispy chicken!

• Liked — The amazing, helpful staff
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Dublin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

Decided to write a review of magic castle to express my anger at the continued applauding of this hotel.......Hello, No. 2 hotel in los angeles, it is absolutely crazy that this noisy, basic, grotty hotel is given this status. It is interesting if you look back at the reviews that all the bad ones express the same problems and believe me they are true.

The only thing this hotel (more like a motel) has going for it is that it is near hollywood boulevard. Bedroom/apt was a short walk from main motel.It was beside other residential apts.

Not very good first impression, very un hotel like. Room had light door with paper thin walls. No dvd player even though all rooms were supposed to have one.

Left a do not disturb sign on door when we went for dinner, but came back to see a maid had entered and left two chocolates on our pillows
but stole a bottle of piper champagne out of our luggage. I am being totally truthful & sincere when I say this. Hotel will probably write
a response to this denying it but I am not a fool. I know when I am fleeced. It is also very interesting if you look at other bad reviews
of this motel, that I was not the only one who was stolen from. There
was noise all night long from cars zooming right outside our bedroom window and cars pulling in to car park just outside our front door with partying yobs etc.

Any reply from Magic Castle in my view is a desperate cry from a desperate motel. Very, very, very dissappointed with this accomodation.

It was not exactly cheap either at $300 a night. Do not stay here! Would you like me to say it again!

• Liked — Location to attractions
  • Disliked — Noise, decor, location to trafffic
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
17 Thank BarDil
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2007
I was sorry to read of your extreme dissatisfaction with our hotel and it's service. This response is not as you put it, a desperate cry, but an opportunity to acknowledge the comments and serious allegations you have made. The most concerning is your claim that our staff stole a bottle of champagne from your room. This is a very serious claim and I only wish you had mentioned anything to any of our staff members during your stay. I've asked the entire staff and looked in our security log, but I'm unable to find any mention of you informing anyone that something had been stolen. In over three years as General Manager here, I've had 2 incidents of alleged theft. Both times I was given the opportunity to do a proper investigation and both times it turned out that the items were not stolen. While it is possible that an item was taken, I believe it is highly unlikely.

If any readers have concerns about the security at our hotel, I'm happy to share our safety record with you.

We pride ourselves on providing our guests an outstanding experience. I only wish you were left with a good feeling about our hotel.

Darren Ross

Palo Alto, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2007

We stayed at the Magic Castle for three nights in April, 2007 along with our friends. We both had one-bedroom suites on the first floor adjacent to the pool and there were 10 of us in all.
Everything about this stay was wonderful. The hotel staff are unbelievably kind, helpful and efficient. The full kitchen and the cont breakfast made snacks/meals easy. The hotel's location is central and it's smaller, so it's easy to get in and out of - unlike huge resort properties. The pool was heated and the tables outside it made the courtyard the perfect morning and evening retreat before and after busy tourist filled days.

Stayed April 2007
2 Thank karendg
sausalito, california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

Stayed here two nights in april visiting family etc. What the hotel may lack in "modern" it makes up for in fabulous staff, free sodas and chips, wonderful continental breakfast with home made baked goods, and spacious rooms. Speaking of the rooms - they are very dated - the furniture in living room was coming apart, the drawers in the dresser of our bedroom had no tracks and the sink in bathroom was mildewed. It's in need of an uplift but met our needs and the weather around poolside was fabulous.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — The rooms
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheledonna
HotelManager, General Manager at Magic Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2007
Thank you very much for your response. I was very happy to read how much you loved the service at the Magic Castle Hotel. I was a bit surprised and horrified to read that you found some mildew in your bathroom. Since reading this morning, I've held a meeting with my housekeeping staff to "deep clean" every bathroom in the hotel. There is no excuse for any part of a guest room to be less than perfectly clean. I sincerely apologize. This does not reflect our standards of cleanliness, it was a mistake. If you can contact me and properly identify yourself, I would appreciate an opportunity to make this up to by inviting you back without a charge. Thank you again.