“Great "hidden" hotel blocks from Walk of Fame”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 348 Hotels in Los Angeles
Southeast Michigan
“Great "hidden" hotel blocks from Walk of Fame”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2006

I stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel in April, 2006 with my family (including 2 young children). I was inexplicably concerned before arriving that it may have been a mistake. I was met with a glass of chilled sparkling juice by a friendly and helpful reception agent and knew I had no reason to worry. The room was basic and somewhat outdated, but having kitchen facilities was great. Pool was supposed to be heated but was fridgid. The price was good and location great! We could walk to the Chinese Theater. It also had a sort of quirky charm. I would recommend it highly to those looking for non-chic, comfortable accomodations in downtown Hollywood.

Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Michigander94

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (548)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
hamburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2006

Have been at the Magic Castle Hotel for 6 nights. Got a non-renovated room for the first night, a bit wore-down. Complaint. Got a renovated, perfect room the next day just like in the advertised pictures and bottle of redwine for the inconvinience. Was totally satisfied. Breakfast was far beyond average, milk, coffee, tee, muffins, cookies, toast, oranges, apples, croissants. Could even take it with me to my room. Complimentary newspaper every morning. Roomservice was excellent, everything clean. Staff at the reception was polite and very helpful. And the location is perfect for everything.
If I´m looking for somethimg to complain, the only thing was the not so excellent TV reception in my room ( 109 ). But who is in L.A. to watch T.V. anyway?
So, over all, if your looking for a not-so-expensive-hotel with a first-class-service you are definitly right wit this hotel.
And if you are lucky, you meet Tom Cruise on your last day in L.A. just right around the corner like i did...

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank raven11
Independence, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2006

What a sweet little hotel! My daughter and I arrived from out of state for a Mother's Day weekend retreat. She had the fold-out couch and I got the bedroom. The mattress was excellent and the duvet and down pillows were superb. As all the reviews mentioned, the staff were all super friendly and bent over backwards to help you. Maps and tips on fun things to do were readily given. They even bought me a six-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper, as they had none stocked, and put it in the frig while we were out!
The pool, heated, is open 24 hours, so we took advantage of that. We never took a taxi - the subway is two blocks away, as is shopping, dining, and people-watching. Try Mel's Diner - very good. And go to Universal Studios during the week. We went on Monday - no lines at all. But remember, it closes at 6 pm! The hotel seems quite safe and it was quiet. Rooms were being renovated with new carpet as we left. Our room could use some new carpet as well, but it was very clean and did not have an odor. The CD and DVD players were a plus!
Thanks to Ashley, Mary Anne, and Nick - these were the only names I caught, but as I said, everyone was very helpful and nice.

• Stayed May 2005
6 Thank MWVCAA
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2006

Stayed with a TV crew at the Magic Castle, and although I suffered many jokes about wanting to stay at a hotel with such an odd name it turned out to be a great spot. LA is tough for hotels - so much of the city is not a city, at least by non-LA standards - it's hard to find a place where you can actually walk to a store or restaurant. The Magic Castle - which seems off of a set for a TV show or film - is well located, friendly (in the best sense of the word) and comfortable. If you get a "suite" it's really a one bedroom apartment - some of the small rooms, however, can be quite small. Rates vary according to season - but most of the year it's quite affordable. There is no elevator - which would have been a problem except that the staff lent a hand and even with a lot of metal boxes we were okay.

Jon - Montreal, Quebec

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
9 Thank JonKMontreal_Canada
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2006

We stayed here for 14 days in April 06. Had a one bedroom suite which had a very comfortable sofa bed in the loungeroom for our daughter. The location is excellent being very close to Hollywood Bvde. There is also a store there to buy your groceries/provisions etc. The staff are excellent - nothing too much trouble, and the housekeeping was very thorough. DON'T stay in a hotel, boxed into a confining air conditioned room - stay here and enjoy the balcony, fresh air, kitchen and comfortable furniture. The beds are excellent and the pillows a dream. There is a laundry with cheap washing/drying facilities - a necessity for a longer stay. Internet too. A light breakfast is also served. The train to get you to Universal Studios is very close. Walk up to the Japanese restaurant just behind the hotel for a terrific view. If you go to the Magic Show at the Castle, gentlemen need a tie and jacket. We went to some very nice restaurants only a $10-$15 US ride away. The taxi from LAX is about $45-$50 US. So we highly recommend this as very good value for money for those people who want a bit of room around them, above average service and good location in Hollywood area. Thank you to ALL the staff for making our stay so enjoyable and comfortable. The Andersons, NSW, Australia.

6 Thank bridge65
Annapolis, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2006

I stayed at the Magic Castle Hotel for five nights and returned home 4/27/06. I was there
for a nearby conference. I arrived a bit early, exhausted from flying cross country. The
staff were very nice, brought me a cool glass of lemonade and found a different suite for
me that had already been cleaned. My one bedroom suite was just as I'd read about in
former reviews. It was gigantic for one person. The walls, rugs, furn, could use some TLC, however the place was immaculate and housekeeping prompt and efficient. My king sized
sleigh bed and down duvet was the best part at the end of a long business day. Front
desk staff was always cheerful and helpful anytime I called with questions. The hotel
is on a decent street as opposed to several nearby and an easy walk to The Kodak
Theatre, Graumanns, etc. if that's why you're in Hollywood. There is also a new METRO
station very close by which was clean, easy to navigate and only a 5 minute ride to
Universal Studios. It's not a high-end hotel; however, all the above mentioned things made
up for the lack of posh. I would drefinitely stay there again.

3 Thank 5oclocksomewhere
Mercer Island, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2006

This review would have 2 stars if not for the staff.

I researched Hollywood hotels for quite a while, and loved Magic Castle's spacious 2 bedroom site with the hip, new furniture displayed on the Magic Castle's website. Our family arrived and was ushered to Suite 222, the one room outside the hotel which was a (recently?) converted studio. It was dingy, had only 1 of the 2 promised bathrooms, offered closets so musty that I immediately re-closed the doors, and a shower the size of a coffin. But the real horrible twist was the paper-thin walls and the loud noise from the street. I immediately requested a room change but none was available and the newbie clerk said "just close the windows". With all windows closed, this heavy sleeper was awoken multiple times and finally crawled into bed with her children in an inner room where noise was still heard.

I went to the clerk the next morning almost in tears: for $250 a night, I expected more, at least a decent night of sleep. She ended up refunding the night's charge, assigning us to a new room (switching us with new unfortunate guests), and treated us to a box of treats. Very pleasant. The new room was all that I had expected: light, roomy, and hip. No street noise since we were in a courtyard off the street. It was recently renovated but already wear was showing through, but still, after that nightmare Suite 222, it was heaven.

Great staff. Ready, helpful, and pleasant.

• Stayed April 2006